It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops wanted to keep mass surveillance app secret; privacy advocates refused

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2022 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Much is known about how the federal government leverages location data by serving warrants to major tech companies like Google or Facebook to investigate crime in America. However, much less is known about how location data influences state and local law enforcement investigations. It turns out that's because many local police agencies intentionally avoid mentioning the under-the-radar tech they use—sometimes without warrants—to monitor private citizens.

As one Maryland-based sergeant wrote in a department email, touting the benefit of "no court paperwork" before purchasing the software, "The success lies in the secrecy."

This week, an investigation from the Electronic Frontier Foundation and Associated Press—supported by the Pulitzer Cen

Cops wanted to keep mass surveillance app secret; privacy advocates refused

posted on Sep, 1 2022 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: livinglight108

Nice to see. I however can't imagine even owning a smartphone. Let alone using anything like facebook. Though I know for sure, Even though I don't. That they are still listening to me through other peoples microphones.

Seems like long story short, if you're going to commit some crime maybe leave your phone at home? Though I doubt that's possible, You could meet single lonely Asians in your area at anytime but only if you're connected!

posted on Sep, 2 2022 @ 01:53 AM
link   
This is going to be like Minority Report where they screen people for "pre crimes". Where they think YOU are thinking of doing something so they must arrest you. Such BS is how tyranny rolls.

God bless us all to end this scourge peacefully, legally, and for good. The sick things people do in the name of their "public safety" scam to gain more power to rule are not only unsafe for us all, but against natural law.

edit on 2-9-2022 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2022 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: livinglight108

I listen to true crime podcasts. Interestingly, two of the biggest mistakes that are repeatedly used to catch people are cell phone records (call records, texts messages and geolocation), and Walmart purchases, especially with credit cards. (Yeah, people actually buy stuff they plan to use in a crime from Walmart and with a credit card.)

Most criminals are pretty stupid, apparently.

Privacy is dead, and we all participated in its execution. Its blood stains all of our hands.

posted on Sep, 2 2022 @ 10:11 AM
link   
ASL?

What's your handle?

What's your homepage?

Oh look at this new thing.
What's your facebook?

Are you on tiktok?

OK, I owe you 3 dollars, let me VENMO you it...

TTYL

IRL?

LOL

a reply to: incoserv

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman
This is going to be like Minority Report where they screen people for "pre crimes". Where they think YOU are thinking of doing something so they must arrest you. Such BS is how tyranny rolls.

God bless us all to end this scourge peacefully, legally, and for good. The sick things people do in the name of their "public safety" scam to gain more power to rule are not only unsafe for us all, but against natural law.

Given how relatively easy it was for groups of people to turn on each other basically because the government via the media told them to, it would be trivial to present this as being about public safety, and even if they don't have enough actual evidence they can just let the accusation float there while you get hanged by the court of public opinion. And then afterwards if pressed they can say "Yeah oopsie my bad" and sling a token payout, which the taxpayers essentially pick up the tab for.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 12:16 PM
link   
nice to see

join