It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tempesta's Legacy - LST2022

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Tempesta fell to her knees, her clammy, dark brown hide gleamed and smouldered on that overcast and crisp winter’s morning; a moment later, she slumped gracefully on her side. Johnny, the young stablemate, was gripped with trepidation at witnessing his and Tempesta’s first foaling. Fortunately, the veteran stable manager, Maurice, was at hand to oversee the three-year-old filly’s delivery.

Although, this was no ordinary pregnancy, Tempesta was expecting twins, a rarity in the world of horses. Maurice had explained to Johnny that chances of conceiving twins was 1 in 10,000. There was also a high probability of miscarriage and mortality due to the dynamics of birth and the mare not having enough nutritional resources for both foals during her pregnancy.

For Johnny, there wasn’t much he could do but wait and pray. Tempesta would deliver her foals when she saw fit and, in fact, any kind of intervention could hinder the birth, as horses have the natural ability to delay the labour process if they feel threatened.

Nearly an hour later, the first signs appeared that something miraculous was about to happen. Tempesta, quiet as a lamb until then, started grunting and huffing. Two tiny hooves popped out, then two more. Maurice had said this could happen, the foals were being born together; they were eager to see the world and were coming out side-by-side, in a sort of front-feet-first diving position. This was a dangerous moment for Tempesta, it would have been safer if they had emerged one after the other.

The tiny hooves preceded four slender forelegs, also called cannons, then a muzzle and another, and then two pairs of pointy ears. Once the heads were clear it only took a few more minutes and they plopped out completely. Beautiful, smarmy and zestful. Johnny knew not to cut the umbilical cords as they would detach naturally as the youngsters jostled to claim their turf.

Tempesta was exhausted but found the energy to arch her head backwards to see her marvellous creations. She saw Johnny and Maurice supporting them as they stood for the very first time, legs trembling and knees buckling. They were quickly learning to support their own weight. Tempesta gently rested her head back on the ground and closed her weary eyes. She dreamt of her yearlings’ future, free and frolicking in green fields, yet saddened to know that she would not be part of their upbringing… with that final thought, Tempesta passed to a heavenly pasture, the ordeal had been too much for her.

Johnny noticed that the two foals had watery eyes. Could they sense what had happened? They inched forward on their knees and timidly nudged Tempesta’s underbelly with their muzzles. They retreated reverently when they realised their mother was lifeless. Johnny thought to himself how noble and gentle these two miniature horses were, and even in mourning, they remained stalwart.

Johnny and Maurice couldn’t help being deeply saddened and they shed their heartfelt tears for Tempesta. However, there was no time to waste; the two foals were Tempesta’s legacy and needed nurturing in the stead of their mother. They had prepared some colostrum milk in large baby bottles and the foals devoured every last drop. They required feeding every hour and this would go on for at least three months, averaging about 30 pints of milk every 24 hours.

Maurice now took a few steps back and was finally able to appreciate the beauty of these two foals, one a mirror image of the other. Like Tempesta, they had deep brown coats and white socks just above their hooves in the area called pastern. The only other white fur was a single streak that extended from the crowns of their heads to the tips of their muzzles. Maurice had wanted to baptise them with names fitting of their heritage, however, he also wanted to reward Johnny for all his hard work and the compassion he had shown. So, he gave Johnny the honour of naming the siblings.

Johnny was overwhelmed with the responsibility, but after a good head scratching, the idea hit him like a bolt of lightning. Well, those white streaks were the clue. He was hesitant at first, feeling he would be ridiculed, but it was too strong an inkling not to say what he felt. He proudly declared them Light and Ning… Maurice erupted with joy. He proclaimed the names to be just perfect and that Tempesta would have been doubly proud of such fine names. Their names destined the foals to stay together for life; one could not exist without the other.

So it came to pass that the prophecy was proclaimed, and it stood the test of time. Light and Ning grew up fine and robust. They inherited the strength, speed and agility of Tempesta. Maurice and Johnny schooled them to run as fast as the wind and prepared them for their maiden horse race, which was a flat sprint over eight furlongs or one mile.

They bolted out of the gates and ran side-by-side all the way; their eyes glistened as they stared at each other the whole time, perhaps reminiscing and pining for their lost mother… they were inseparable at birth and in the race. In fact, at the finish it was a dead-heat, even the photo finish couldn’t decide the winner, nor which was which for that matter. Johnny and Maurice were like proud fathers that day. Johnny looked up to the sky and softly spoke to Tempesta’s spirit… you see, Light-Ning really can strike twice.

The End

edit on 30/8/2022 by Encia22 because: Paragraph breaks

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Oh, nearly forgot. The picture that is worth a thousand words and inspired my little story...

Light & Ning say hello!

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Beautiful

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Thanks for your story!

Good luck in the Contest,
Johnny

posted on Aug, 31 2022 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I'm glad your muse arrived before the deadline!

I agree with olaru--beautiful

for a great theme

posted on Apr, 14 2024 @ 07:58 AM
link   

I loved that, such a great finish

I have to admit I got a little tearful when Tempesta took her final rest and had the feeling of what's to come. I'm glad it all worked out in the end.

Thanks for sharing

posted on Apr, 14 2024 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Cheers, Ray!

Oops, sorry, I forgot to add a Kleenex spoiler. I often don't feel I convey sorrow well enough to make for an emotional read. However, the part brings a lump to my throat every time, even knowing what's coming. So, I don't know where that came from; perhaps from old movies I've watched.

There aren't many movies that choke me up, but as a kid, I remember a particular scene in The Call of the Wild (1972) with Charlton Heston.

It's the bet... I really struggle to hold back the emotions with this one.

I couldn't find just the scene, so here's the full movie. Go to 01:28:00. The build up starts before, but watch through to the end of the bet.
I don't know why, but I find touching animal scenes to be more emotional than with just human counterparts.

The movie ending is powerful, too, but I still prefer this part.

Actually, unless Iran has another bout of indigestion, I'll probably watch this again tonight.

edit on 14/4/2024 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2024 @ 02:39 PM
link   

He made it!

I can't say I've watched it but I think I will, they're my favourite breed.

I don't know why, but I find touching animal scenes to be more emotional than with just human counterparts.

At a guess I'd say it's the hopes and ambitions thing, human one's can be very touching to see played out but with our sidekicks they do it all for us and their loved ones, it's a sentiment I see in kids that I always hope carries into adulthood.

I'm hoping Iran knocks it on the head and cooler heads prevail but I also know there's a lot of caught up feelings and ambitions all round. Distractions are good when it comes to that.

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Absolutely, in fact, as you said, sidekick characters, especially animals often exceed the protagonists as the most lovable. I much prefer seeing a supporting role than the protagonist; like the difference between Buck (in the movie above) and Lassie, who was front and center in every movie.

Yes, my sentiment exactly on the whole M.E. drama... breath and count to 10 before pressing anymore buttons.

top topics

join