It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public school: Moment of silence for Pope - but not Reagan?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by paperclip

Originally posted by Cutwolf
When you get to the base of it, his sphere of influence came from the fact that he was the *catholic* leader. At the bottom of all the fluff, that is basically what we were forced to honor.

That is exactly what we are NOT honoring.
Catholics are the ones who mourn the loss of their religious leader.
Others honor his deeds which are not directly related to his religion, like his role in fall of communism, or how much he spoke of genocide being commited in balkan countries, then his world tour, his friendships with other religious leaders, his work to create peace and a bridge between various religions and so on.

We honor the deeds which have greatly influenced the world, not his religious role.

If this was the case, Reagan would have had a moment of silence. End of story.

Since Reagan didn't get a moment of silence, and the Pope did, it can be inferred that the Pope being the leader of 1 billion catholics pushed him over the imaginary "qualifications for a moment of silence" line.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Since Reagan didn't get a moment of silence, and the Pope did, it can be inferred that the Pope being the leader of 1 billion catholics pushed him over the imaginary "qualifications for a moment of silence" line.

Damn man, do the American thing then and blame the Democrats. They don't hold the presidency, the House or the Senate but it's got to be their fault somehow.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Damn man, do the American thing then and blame the Democrats. They don't hold the presidency, the House or the Senate but it's got to be their fault somehow.

I am a Democrat.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   

I am a Democrat.

See, it's your fault then.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Boohoo, life isn't fair; I had to sit respectfully while those around me who wanted to reflect did. Get over it, life isn't fair. You're going to have to do a lot you don't want to. Should we honour important figures within the US, other countries, other religions, etc.? Yes. Should we bitch and moan like children when these figures aren't given the same treatment as another? No. And don't for a second try to tell me these four minutes are going to be detrimental to your quiz grade, or that the majority of students actually cared about this "interruption." Being an AP student I'm sure you're able to figure out the teacher is available after class to clear up any questions you, or any of your classmates have. This thread illustrates exactly what is wrong with America, too damned PC.

[edit on 5-4-2005 by EricM]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita

Originally posted by Marid Audran
He was a world leader of an allied nation. I think if Tony Blair died the same thing would probably have happened.

Hmm, I wonder if God forbid the leaders of France or Germany would die, would they also get the honor of the flag at half staff? Or they don't count anymore?

Funny how you singled out this lapdog of Bush's.

Okay , fine. If Jacque Shirac or Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder died they should get it to.

Tony Blair was the first one that popped into my mind, I often forget how narrow minded and vitriolic some of the people around here are.

Deny Prejudice.

[edit on 5-4-2005 by Marid Audran]

dh

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Thank God this man is gone
He killed millions with his encyclicals against condoms in a time of AIDS/HIV
What a Rotter
His Vatican cosied up to Pinochet at a time the CIA backed dictator was imprisoning, disappearing, murdering thousands, and what about the P2-Vatican Bank-Agnelli-Bologna massacre-Roberto Calvi banker-hanging under Blackfriars bridge, London - Mafia-style execution, the American Cardinal in charge of all the paedophile priest cover-ups exalted to Rome
A sad perverted old bastard incremental in the transition to the New World Order
Let no-one praise the formaldehyde corpse
May the spirit learn from Life's mistakes
The New Pope will be chosen to serve the Agenda

[edit on 5-4-2005 by dh]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Wow man, tell us how you really feel.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Yes, I am sure he did many great things, like keeping 100,000+ priests out of jail for raping boys for past 40 years. Or being "non-profit" and making more then Donald Trump and Bill Gates a year. Trying to spread the word and starving millions because they won't take it from the church, and then committing genocide on Africans by banning everything that would save them. Yes, really great, just wiping out the population of an entire continent.

So, should families of murder victims hold a moment of silence for Ted Bundy, Jeffery Lionel Dahmer, and GWB?

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Im not evan going to dignify these retarded posts with a response to them.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Yes, ignore all the bad stuff about the guy, just point out the 2-3 good things he did. Freaking religous nutjobs, I swear, I am so glad not everyone thinks like this. "Sure he killed a bunch of people, but Ted Bundy did a great job painting my house."

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Yes, I am sure he did many great things, like keeping 100,000+ priests out of jail for raping boys for past 40 years. Or being "non-profit" and making more then Donald Trump and Bill Gates a year. Trying to spread the word and starving millions because they won't take it from the church, and then committing genocide on Africans by banning everything that would save them. Yes, really great, just wiping out the population of an entire continent.

So, should families of murder victims hold a moment of silence for Ted Bundy, Jeffery Lionel Dahmer, and GWB?

If this stuff is true it could add to my side in the ongoing debate I'm having with people in my school about this. Can you provide sources for these things?

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   

If this stuff is true it could add to my side in the ongoing debate I'm having with people in my school about this. Can you provide sources for these things?

Trust me its not. He's taking stuff that he doesnt agree with/arent true and blowing them way out of proportion.

apc

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Cutwolf I say you should have just started yelling "PENIS" as loud as you could. Was great fun when I was forced to goto catholic school... made Mass of the Holy Spirit really entertaining.. see who can yell it the loudest without getting caught.

Seriously tho I would have made a HUGE deal if my kid was made to show respect for a man who deserves none. It would have been like there being a moment of silence for Hitler. Uh-uh, sorry, nope.

And if I hear one more person whine about how he was responsible for the fall of communism and all this cold war propaganda BS... encyclopedias are gonna fly. Last I checked there's still oh I dunno a BILLION or so communists quite happy with themselves.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Supposedly we live in a free country....If you're not happy with the decisions your school makes for you, then take your own moment of silence for Reagan.....

Not everyone can foresee what people are going to like and dislike, and to be honest, it sounds like they're trying to do the smart thing during this divided time in our nation...To stay out of the relationship between their children's parents and politics

[edit on 4/7/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Maybe if you thought of it as honoring Karol Wojtiya it would be easier for you

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
I was driving to work this morning and noticed that the flag is flying at half mast.

I also found it slightly offensive. There is nothing wrong in honoring the Pope, but I thought we had separation of State and Religion in this country.

If you ask me, these are the religious right behind this. I'm not a fan of Reagan, but honoring this person would have made much more sense. Whoever he was, he was the leader of America. Pope was not.

i agree in protecting religion from the goverment in some countries you can only pray to one god but keeping the goverment and religion seperated completely can/will lead to a communist goverment of some sort in my opinion as far as i can remember the pilgrims came to this country for the fine native ladies and freedom of religion or somethin like that back on topic the pope did somethings that were cool but im not the kind of catholic who reads the bible but does things the bible/god wants christians to do my girlfriend is catholic im just a christian guy but her church wont marry us because im not catholic nor will accept communion or nothing like that i dont have to pledge my allegiance to a building or entity know as the church only to god and jc prayin to stone statues sickens me and when i see that happening i ask the person did you know in the bible it says tho shall not worship false idols.

[edit on 8-4-2005 by bigworm]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
bigworm we do not worship statues
Its ignorance like this that leads to prejudice.

apc

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   

bigworm we do not worship statues Its ignorance like this that leads to prejudice.

No, you worship knocked up housewives and other pointless dead people.
Atleast the catholics finally accepted evolution. though they seem very reluctant to admit it, and do so only under apparent duress.

And btw, the 'pilgrims' didnt come here seeking freedom... they were essentially told "we've had it... get the F' out or we are going to kill you." Thus, America was born.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
More ignorance and prejudice
When will it end?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join