It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public school: Moment of silence for Pope - but not Reagan?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Seems so! My school had a moment of silence for the Pope - the Catholic leader - at the end of the day today.

Yet when Ronald Reagan died, we had no such moment of silence.

Now, this is wrong on 3 levels, in my opinion:

1. As a non-Catholic, I found this offensive. Yes, I understand the Pope did great things for the world and yes, he was a good man. However, there a lot of people who do great things and are good men. The reason the Pope is so "famous" and "respected" is more because of his leadership of 1 billion Catholics than anything else. Will we have a moment of silence for the Dalai Lama when he dies? Why not? What about a highly respected Hindu priest (is that what they're called? I'm not educated on Hinduism) who passes away? What about the leader of the Church of Satan?

2. Ronald Reagan was the leader of America - the Pope was the leader of Catholics. A moment of silence for Reagan would be understandable as he was the highest ranking person in the country at one point. Also, every decision Reagan made pretty much affected the lives of everyone. Every decision the Pope made did not necessarily affect the lives of everyone - especially not High School age kids who only recall the "end" of the Pope's reign.

3. Not everyone thinks the Pope was a great man. For example, what about gays? There are quite a few homosexuals in my school - why should they be required to sit in silence out of respect for a man who didn't support them?

Not to mention our school has had 2 moments of silence in my 4 years of attendance: 9/11 and...the death of the Pope? Something seems off there...

What do you guys think?

[edit on 4-4-2005 by Cutwolf]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Don't worry, I'm sure the ACLU is filing a lawsuit right now!

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Don't worry, I'm sure the ACLU is filing a lawsuit right now!

For real, though, what is your take on the issue? This does seem to stretch the boundries of religion & public school, especially in a school with a large population of non-catholics.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I'm a Protestant and don't like the papal system or many of the teachings and practices of the Catholic Church. But on the other hand, I'd say, what's the big deal? I wouldn't really be offended, but I would want things like this to be handled more fairly and evenly.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I was driving to work this morning and noticed that the flag is flying at half mast.

I also found it slightly offensive. There is nothing wrong in honoring the Pope, but I thought we had separation of State and Religion in this country.

If you ask me, these are the religious right behind this. I'm not a fan of Reagan, but honoring this person would have made much more sense. Whoever he was, he was the leader of America. Pope was not.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I actually agree with Aelita there, the Federal government ordering flags at half staff for mourning the Pope is much more troublesome to me personally.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I'm a Protestant and don't like the papal system or many of the teachings and practices of the Catholic Church. But on the other hand, I'd say, what's the big deal? I wouldn't really be offended, but I would want things like this to be handled more fairly and evenly.

Well, think of it this way:

Simran (made up) is a highly respected figure in the Islamic world. He helps so many people and does great thing and the followers of Islam in the US love and adore him as well. When he dies, there will NOT be a moment of silence in the school. Isn't this, in a way, saying the catholic religion is better/more important than Islam?

I actually agree with Aelita there, the Federal government ordering flags at half staff for mourning the Pope is much more troublesome to me personally.

I agree with you on that, but the moment of silence thing was much more...personal (for lack of a better word) than flags flying at half staff.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cutwolf
Simran (made up) is a highly respected figure in the Islamic world. He helps so many people and does great thing and the followers of Islam in the US love and adore him as well. When he dies, there will NOT be a moment of silence in the school. Isn't this, in a way, saying the catholic religion is better/more important than Islam?

You're right, and it is a good reason to keep religion like that out of schools. Honoring the Pope is a certain nod to the Roman Catholic faith rather than a vague reference to God such as what exists in the Pledge. I agree that they shouldn't have done it in your school or any public school in the U.S.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cutwolf

Well, duh, yes.

I only say this to agree with your point. But what do you expect, when General Boyko of the US Army (I believe, wearing the uniform) gives a lecture and says that his God is greater than Allah. And that's sort of the reason he believes the US should police Iraq. I have forgotten the detail, but this was the essense. More recently, DeLay said that he represents the majority that believe in the Biblical Picture of the world. And he's not a layperson. He's in the position of power in the US govt.

I'm not a big fan of Islam by any measure. I just think the whole thing with Christianity against all else is weird.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
eh??? moment of silence for the pope in school? wtf!
As a parent I would question my kid's school if they did such a thing.
Sure the Pope is an important man, but neither his life or death ever affected me before and therefore it shouldn't affect my kids in their school. I'm glad my kids' school didn't do that, and btw I didn't notice any flags flying half mast around here.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
And why is it that the flag does not fly at half staff for every life we are losing in Iraw, by the way?

Would make much more sense.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
And why is it that the flag does not fly at half staff for every life we are losing in Iraw, by the way?

Would make much more sense.

Agreed.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Here in Texas We have a moment of silence every day at school where we can meditate pray whatever as long as its silent. also the pope was the dictator kind of person in the Vatican city, in a book at the library the gov. was one absolute ruler the pope quote on quote, though the announcer never said that this moment of silence was for the pope

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
You guys come on, it was a moment of silence for a great man. While some of you may have not been affected by the pope myself and others were. Have a little respect of others. At my school they just rose the flag half way. Oh and may I remind you of how he and Reagan got rid of communism? I do not believe Reagan could have done it on his own. So evan you and probably every1 else in the world was affected by the fall of communism.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Croat56
You guys come on, it was a moment of silence for a great man. While some of you may have not been affected by the pope myself and others were. Have a little respect of others. At my school they just rose the flag half way. Oh and may I remind you of how he and Reagan got rid of communism? I do not believe Reagan could have done it on his own. So evan you and probably every1 else in the world was affected by the fall of communism.

That's great. Mourn him on your own time in your own private way. Public school is not the place to have a moment of silence for a religious figure. As I said before, if an important Islamic person or an important Hindu person or an important Satanist died, we would NOT have a moment of silence in school. It's all or nothing.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I am sure there are catholics in your school and I am sure they are mourning as well. It was what 1 minute long? Come on find other things to complain about there are more important things in the world right now. I would think that Americans would be greatful that he helped bring down communism. Guess not.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
That doesn't make sense.

It should be the other way around - if one of the two were to get a moment of silence it surely should have been Reagan.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I am sure there are catholics in your school and I am sure they are mourning as well. It was what 1 minute long? Come on find other things to complain about there are more important things in the world right now. I would think that Americans would be greatful that he helped bring down communism. Guess not.

Hey listen, given your avatar you are not particularly unbiased in this. Where I live, Papa ne je s nami. And I like it this way.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Oh and may I remind you of how he and Reagan got rid of communism?

I would think that Americans would be greatful that he helped bring down communism. Guess not.

If he's deserving of a moment of silence due to helping bring down communism than surely so was Reagan, as you admitted he and Reagan both contributed to this.

Reagan was the President of America, the Pope the leader of the Roman Catholic church. If they don't honour their former Presidents with a moment of silence in school, why should the leader of a church, which many Americans may not be part of, be honoures, in school .

It's not the place for it.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
You know what guys if you dont like it so much then complain to the school board to hold a moment of silence for when the dhali lama,satinist, muslim leader dies.

The pope wasnt just loved by catholics afterall.

[edit on 4/4/2005 by Croat56]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join