It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crude Oil Theft Increasing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2022 @ 01:18 PM
link   
oilmanmagazine.com...

While pipeline theft in places like Nigeria and Mexico are the most common images associated with the theft of hydrocarbons, the problem is actually far broader and more systematic in nature. Illegal bunkering, ship-to-ship transfering, armed theft (or piracy), bribing corrupt officials, oil smuggling and laundering, and fuel adulteration are also widely used in this criminal sphere.

tapping pipelines and various shipboard scams.
I have to think this would have to be a high-volume crime to be worthwhile?

anyone with info on???

posted on Jul, 10 2022 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

lol you've seen nothing yet.

Living in Europe... Around two weeks ago, someone stole the license plate from my ... wait for it... EV, to put it on the own car and go to a fuel station, fill up and then bailed.

The funny thing is, EV license plates do have an E at the end... so they could not have chosen more nonsensical plate to steal. Of course I got visit from the police but it's all good, it's pretty clear it was stolen sometime on that Friday when I was in town. Did not notice it that both plates are missing.

And had to pay for stamping a new one... ironically around the price of a current gas tank filling on an ICE.

posted on Jul, 10 2022 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDDAgain

lol you've seen nothing yet.

Living in Europe... Around two weeks ago, someone stole the license plate from my ... wait for it... EV, to put it on the own car and go to a fuel station, fill up and then bailed.

The funny thing is, EV license plates do have an E at the end... so they could not have chosen more nonsensical plate to steal. Of course I got visit from the police but it's all good, it's pretty clear it was stolen sometime on that Friday when I was in town. Did not notice it that both plates are missing.

And had to pay for stamping a new one... ironically around the price of a current gas tank filling on an ICE.

Pardon my ignorance what are your petrol restrictions that a license plate is needed? Is it an odd/even

posted on Jul, 10 2022 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

When you go up fill your car gasoline tank and then drive off without paying, chances are, the license plate will be recorded by the fuel station and then used to identify the theft. In my case, I was at the dentist on a Friday and someone stole my license plates, I did not notice until police showed up that Saturday with lot's of questions.

My comment was like: Wait until fuel prices reach levels like in Europe, then you will see stuff like this a lot. No need for tapping pipelines, steal a license plate and fill up for free, if there is that much criminal energy.

posted on Jul, 10 2022 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Electric cars don't need gas and the people who filled their tank took off without paying is how I got it...camera got the license plate number at the pump. I think that EVs here have the same plates as gas cars at least in Michigan. I do know that there are electric vehicle plates in some countries, but do not know why that is. Maybe they get a better rate or something on plates for EVs.

posted on Jul, 10 2022 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The trick around here is to take a van and put extra tanks or barrels inside of it. Then they pull into the gas station to fuel up. While they are fueling they open the pump housing and jumper the pump. This results in them getting billed for an amount that they choose, but more goes into the extra tanks and isn't counted on the pump.

posted on Jul, 10 2022 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDDAgain

When you go up fill your car gasoline tank and then drive off without paying, chances are, the license plate will be recorded by the fuel station and then used to identify the theft. In my case, I was at the dentist on a Friday and someone stole my license plates, I did not notice until police showed up that Saturday with lot's of questions.

My comment was like: Wait until fuel prices reach levels like in Europe, then you will see stuff like this a lot. No need for tapping pipelines, steal a license plate and fill up for free, if there is that much criminal energy.

I understand now, I'm pretty sure the high-end stations here have good cameras and coverage but probably not so much in the lower-tiered stations.

There was a recent theft in Virginia Beach where they hacked its computer and sold gas for a buck a gallon, think they said they lost 13 grand in gasoline
edit on 10-7-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2022 @ 06:00 PM
link   

I read somewhere that a van with a pump and tank parked over the tank fill cap. They opened it, dropped a hose in and filled their tank.

I thought they had locks on those gas caps.

posted on Jul, 10 2022 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
The trick around here is to take a van and put extra tanks or barrels inside of it. Then they pull into the gas station to fuel up. While they are fueling they open the pump housing and jumper the pump. This results in them getting billed for an amount that they choose, but more goes into the extra tanks and isn't counted on the pump.

Around here I had the cops show up filling up a suburban a few years back- they thought I had rigged it with fuel barrels inside, but it just had the factory upgrade and held 65 gallons.
The stupid pump was set to cut off at $75 so the third time I ran it they assumed it was a stolen card.
The child running the store called the #s and they showed up while I was getting ready to leave.

The vehicle wasn't registered in my name, but the payment method was- so it only took those idiots about a half hour to realize I wasn't doing any crime.

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I obtained the car's license plate number from the camera at the pump after realizing that electric cars, unlike gas-powered ones, do not require fuel. It seems that electric vehicles (EVs) here in Michigan have the same license plates as gas cars. However, in some countries, EVs have distinct license plates, although I'm unsure of the reason behind this. Perhaps EV owners receive benefits such as discounted rates on plates.

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: jack5253

EVs have distinct license plates, although I'm unsure of the reason behind this. Perhaps EV owners receive benefits such as discounted rates on plates.

nah that's just europe's big brother mentality keeping being ocd about how strict they are on keeping tabs on the baah's ( sheeple).

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 08:02 AM
link   

I mean where would they sell it or refine the product?

Can people just turn up at a refinery with a tanker full of crude and make a sale?

Honestly don't have a clue.

posted on Mar, 4 2024 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Crude oil theft is on the rise, posing significant challenges for the oil industry and affected regions. The illegal siphoning of oil from pipelines and facilities has economic, environmental, and security implications. Governments, oil companies, and law enforcement agencies are grappling with strategies to curb this escalating issue, often involving increased surveillance, law enforcement measures, and community engagement to address the root causes.

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: jack5253

No, that's simply the big brother mindset that persists in Europe, which makes them obsessive about how closely they monitor their sheeple.:

posted on Mar, 10 2024 @ 03:20 AM
link   

edit on Fri Mar 15 2024 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

(post by jack5253 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

join