It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

-snip- Corn Syrup

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 02:09 PM
link   
God damnit!

I should have read the label before I bought these buffalo wings at Safeway. I was wondering why is the first flavour I get not chili but rather sweet?!
Who puts corn syrup on wings?!

I only ate one....then tossing the rest.

We always check the labels when we grocery shop as a couple, but apparently neglected on this one by myself. . .
And it is at the top of the ingredients!
Water, then corn syrup.

Gross! Not only is it unhealthy but it tastes BAD!

Talk about an obesity and diabetes epidemic...

WHY MUST STUPID AMERICA PUT THIS CRAP IN EVERYTHING!??!

We make sure none of the stuff we buy has it. UNTIL I WAS A MORON TODAY.

edit on 8/7/2022 by chris_stibrany because: (no reason given)

edit on 7.8.2022 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Jul 8 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: all caps title

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

I always check fruit juice labels and go for those with the lowest sugar content. Sugar or corn syrup in EVERYTHING.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Take it easy there Chris. Just to be sure though, you should probably drink at least 32oz. of prune juice.

That should move things along and put this tragic error behind you.....pun intended.

link   
Shame on me. I am quite annoyed!

The worst is in bread. Having to check your goddamn bread shouldn't be necessary. Being a 'fake' European and having a European wife, good bread is of course very important. Luckily we have a lot of good local bakeries around but still....

a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

I am quite good on that 'end' ...*badum crash*

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Bro, I'm in the UK and it took me about five years to realise that most of the beer I was drinking was full of the stuff.

I was getting all sorts of stomach problems and as soon as I started reading the labels/ingredients and avoiding the ones with corn/fructose/glucose syrup, my stomach problems pretty much ended.

I'm glad you've posted this because I feel that it's important to remind people that this stuff is genuinely bad for you.

👏

edit on 872022 by Wide-Eyes because: Missed word

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 02:29 PM
link   

As someone who has been doing the keto diet off and on over the last year, i am learning that our diet in america is mostly carbs/sugar. Good for you on checking lables. I literally have to make everything I eat at home. But hey, no inflammation, the acid reflux that they said couldnt be cured w/out pulls or surgery is gone as well.

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I don't drink much pop anymore. But if I do it's Coca~Cola from Mexico. They use pure cane sugar in their formulation. Kinda sucks cause where I usually get it is at Krogers, but lately every time I look they are out of stock.

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: AIC4ME

Word. I suffered really badly from acid reflux and when I cut out processed foods and syrups, it gradually went away.

I have to remind myself still though that the easy options aren't worth the belly problems.

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Now how are big-pharma and insurance going to make their top dollars, selling drugs and health insurance , when nobody gets sick from the food they eat

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 02:48 PM
link   

You got bad ribs because the person before you didn't complain to the shop and manufacturer.

Just like the person before them and the person before them etc..

You should take things back and say something otherwise NOTHING CHANGES FOR THE BETTER OF ALL.

It's your own fault for buying food for reheating rather than actually cooking yourself.

See what goes into your food and your food will see you good.

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I drink a lot of beer but alcohol companies in the USA are not required to show ingredients so now you have me pondering. . . I believe most of the microbrews I buy from here in CO don't use anything but hops yeast and sugar, water. Where I can perhaps see tasting corn syrup is actually in the cheaper imports, like Fosters from Australia.

AHA my tongue didn't lie

www.medicaldaily.com...

Corona, Fosters, Pabst Blue Ribbon, and Red Stripe also join in adding GMO corn syrup into their beer mixtures. Corn syrup seems to be in everything, especially high fructose corn syrup, which can be found in virtually everything from a loaf of bread to yogurt and now even Guinness.

a reply to: Wide-Eyes

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I still get reflux from coffee, some booze (not all), chili (of course) and citrus/fruit juice.

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

I don't 'cook' my own lunches generally but I/we do 'cook' our breakfasts and dinners. I say 'cook' because sometimes it's proper cooking on the stove etc and sometimes its just cereal or fruit/cereal bar for breakfast or a premade meal from the supermarket for dinner during the week (like a gyros or store made wings). Most of our proper cooking is done on the weekend because, time.

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Yep.

America soda sucks balls. . .
I only have a soda maybe once every 5 or 6 months as a random hankering, it's generally too bubbly/acidic . Luckily there are a lot of Mexicans in my town so it's easy to find the sugar variety.

a reply to: INnEedOfgOD

edit on 8/7/2022 by chris_stibrany because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Corn and corn products contain the highest percentage of GMO, Soy next, then one other (I forget which).

I've been noticing that many products, even bottled water, can have a label indicating that it possibly contains GMO food products in it's manufacture.

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Yep, they're all full of it.

Fosters and Red Stripe were a couple of drinks that I regularly drank.

These days I will even drink a beer I'm not even keen on if it's the only one without syrups.

It's really bad that they don't have to show the ingredients in the USA but after this Covid shot nonsense, nothing surprises me when it comes to public health.

They don't care about anyone but their agendas.

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Proper beer brewing doesn't use sugar as an ingredient, although sugar is generated via the process, which later converts to alcohol.

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 03:10 PM
link   
thanks for the heads up.

I am not a brewer or anything. I am thinking of starting a cider someday though.

a reply to: VierEyes

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Sleep... I've been toying with keto the last few weeks and once the carbs are gone I can actually get a bit sleep. I even 'cheated' one day to see what happens, I was absolutely shattered but then I couldn't sleep for 6 hours.

Just cutting the sugar alone would benefit most people greatly.

a reply to: Wide-Eyes

I've been brewing my own from scratch and the benefits have been very noticeable. That said traditionally some recipes would call for a sweetness or additives such as lactose (milk sugar) it works well in wine too since it's non-fermentable. I imagine most commercial brewers use a dextrose "brewers sugar" style mix that's in a liquid form and they will leave non-fermentable sugars but so will treacle or syrups. Generally the darker the less fermentables. But there's 'light' beers which are purposefully sweet without additives which won't do your liver any favours either regardless of it's ABV. If the yeasts can't eat it then it'll be someone's liver having a chomp at it next.

I guess the liver is a bit like a giant yeastie at times, we don't necessarily want all the sugars and once it's overloaded and stressed it tends to slow down then stop.

Out of curiosity what beers did you find agreeable? I've got some projects in the pipeline in regards to this stuff.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join