It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Rogers outage impacting cellphones, internet and debit payments across Canada

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Telecommunications giant Rogers is experiencing a massive outage on Friday morning that is impacting wireless, cable and internet customers across the country.

The outage began some time in the early hours of Friday morning, with a wide variety of services impacted.

Just before 9 a.m. ET on Friday, the company confirmed via its Twitter account that something was indeed awry.

Massive Rogers outage impacting cellphones, internet and debit payments across Canada

So what happened? People can't use their Interac debit cards, Toronto can't take 911 calls via cellular... ISP's are down across the nation...

According to 'downdetector', they went down about 4:20am

Rogers didn't tell their customers until around 9:00am... Almost 5 hours later... What could cause this? Why the delay in notifying their loyal customers?

Only reason I can think of is they got hacked! But by who or whom?

Anyway, it is from coast to coast, all across Canada...

What say you ATS?

Was it Russia, or was it a Router... Or ????
edit on 8-7-2022 by ByteChanger because: Changed Title

edit on 8-7-2022 by ByteChanger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Or is it CERN?

Either way I’m blaming Trudeau lol

This is why I Keep cash on hand.
Enjoy the ‘snow day’ fellow ‘Nucks

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: cookadafood

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if that turd was responsible, even by proxy...

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: cookadafood
Or is it CERN?

This is why I Keep cash on hand.
Enjoy the ‘snow day’ fellow ‘Nucks

Always good to keep CASH on hand and these days LOTS of it.

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ByteChanger

As much as I love modern technology and all it's conveniences, this is why I hate it. I hate our dependency on it. I hate that some of us have let it affect our lives in such a way that we are completely useless without it.

Very frustrating indeed. But these are the times one needs to reach deeper and see what they're made of. In fact, if the outage were to last for a few days, millions of lives might be changed for the better. Obviously, some lives would not, those medically compromised and those of fragile mental health.

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
As much as I love modern technology and all it's conveniences, this is why I hate it. I hate our dependency on it. I hate that some of us have let it affect our lives in such a way that we are completely useless without it.

Very frustrating indeed. But these are the times one needs to reach deeper and see what they're made of. In fact, if the outage were to last for a few days, millions of lives might be changed for the better. Obviously, some lives would not, those medically compromised and those of fragile mental health.

Yeah, I agree. We have become very dependent on technology and/or electricity. I remember when the power would go out at our work place... Everyone would just start walking around, milling about, congregating at the water cooler... But absolutely nothing get done.

911 being affected is not good, they need some redundancies in the system I think. Hell, isn't that why the internet was invented in the first place? So not all our eggs were in one basket...

I had a heart attack a couple of weeks ago, if it had happened today, I'd be dead if I couldn't get through to 911...

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 11:44 AM
link   

We were expecting a huge solar flare a couple days this week.

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Mass Panic Test !! 😎

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 01:14 PM
link   

What would cause this eh.....

I am hearing rumblings that it is two pronged, but for the same ultimate purpose. The government is getting ready for full scale monitoring of the internet AND they have to take down at least Rogers to implement their changes to the banking system to roll out their BS digital currency crap. They put the individual pieces in place so they can all be linked together later.

Let me know when the shooting starts, I'm old and I'd like to go out on my feet.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Mass Panic Test !! 😎

ROFL! Maybe for some, not this boy lol. I went on rogers this morning, couldn't even get a ping to use my in-house DNS to find something. That's ok, a little hacking, a little MLPPP, a little sat ISDN and a little Bell and I am up and online. If push comes to shove, packetsend via CB and Ham radio ;-) It's only the internet and if the banks are down, pretty much everybody is in the same boat, except the rich and insane psychopaths, which means they're just movable targets lol

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I remember on the 1st of June this year when my wife and I were checking out from a hotel in Munich, the credit card machines didn't work and no one could pay for anything, they later took my permission to charge my credit card later because I had a flight to catch, people were talking about a hack at that time.

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 01:36 PM
link   
There's been a lot of push-back from Canadian citizens against Turdeau's over-reaching government policies. China just went through something similar, and shut down bank access to keep citizens from gathering to protest.

I could see Turdeau taking down communications to stop people from connecting. It will be interesting to see what-if anything- comes next.

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 01:53 PM
link   
In OP link, they are claiming it was due to a software update.

It's the second time in as many years that Rogers has been rocked by a major outage, as the company's wireless and cable networks went down in a similar fashion in April 2021. At the time, Rogers blamed an issue with a software update at one of its telecom equipment suppliers.

Technology analyst Ritesh Kotak says he suspects the cause of the outage is "an update gone wrong" in one of Rogers' internal systems.

What is strange is how harshly it seems they were criticized for this as I'm assuming they were also just over a year ago when the same excuse was applied, and yet they still don't have effective safeguards in place to prevent it from happening again.

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 02:01 PM
link   

So, Canadians have just been Rogered then.

Makes sense.

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Still down 12 hours later.

Any telecom guys that can explain how a company's land-lines, cell-service, and internet service can all be blacked-out at the same time ?

Wouldn't those systems be separated ?

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Rogers update via Twitter says they identified a breach and will be down till Monday.

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AccessDenied
Rogers update via Twitter says they identified a breach and will be down till Monday.

Got a link for that?

My Rogers twit feed shows this. (I didn't see anything about a breach, although I'm inclined to believe it)

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I was sent a screenshot , Rogers customer service . I assumed it was from Twitter. Tried to upload it but getting an error from ATS.🙄

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin
Still down 12 hours later.

Any telecom guys that can explain how a company's land-lines, cell-service, and internet service can all be blacked-out at the same time ?

Wouldn't those systems be separated ?

The end result in any network be it land or cellular, it all traces back to enormous trunks of bandwidth such as those that connect the two atlantic coasts. Giant undersea cables and stuff like that. Believe it or not, ISPs have central points that can cause havoc when down.

I think it was about 10 or 15 years ago when an undersea cable in the atlantic was shredded and the entire net went down on the eastern seaboard. Though it could be software exploits as well. Having worked as a broadband tech - the systems I dealt with for the ISP were mainly centrally controlled by one or two different programs. Compromise one of those and you could bring down everything.
edit on 7/8/2022 by MaplePatriot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2022 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: MaplePatriot

Thanks MP.

You would think they would have redundancies in place, to automatically switch pipelines, when one of the main trunks goes-down.
Especially considering they are offering services like 9-11 calls, call-service for police and/or emergency workers, etc...

Down until Monday eh ?

Convenient that School™ is out now, and the weekend is less harmful to Business™...

Certainly not installing any new equipment or nothing...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join