It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help identified a sword I inherited

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 05:32 AM
link   
So, this sword have been passed down for generations, but I only know I got it from my father that got it from his father in Denmark.

I looks kind of old with the number 25 and some letters and small puncher marks on the hilt, I was hoping the was a sword expert on ATS that could cast some light on it perhaps. I tried googling for it.. I found something that looks similar in type but not design, infantry briquet sabre.

was thinking about getting it restored, but do not know if it is a good idea if it belonged to someone important or is super rare.

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider
I may have found it,
It looks kind of similar to this one-M1801 - Danish Jaegerhirschfanger Sword

www.militariaweb.dk...

Pretty cool,approx 200years old-not sure about the writing,maybe a personalisation/battalion ID marks?

More here:
duckduckgo.com... dk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F11%2F210m1801_03.jpg

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Looks like a Spadroon, probably 18th or 19th century. Unsure of the markings but will signify the branch, platoon etc.

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Thanks a lot, that is the one for sure

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Apparently it date way back, and used by the kings guard back in the 1800´s.
Look at the swords in this picture, it is the same, with the lion head hilt and all

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 07:01 AM
link   

I'm having trouble with the size reference in that first pic.

Do you perhaps have a Lincoln Log or a Donald Duck Pez dispenser you could put in it for a more accurate measure?

When I zoomed in I knew exactly how big it was and I don't think I've touched a Lego in 3 decades. I know nothing about swords except where the sharp part is, but I loved your use of Lego as a reference.

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Ah ha, okay just measured it

73,5 centimeters in total

or...

28.9 inches
2,4 feet
735.0 mm

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 07:15 AM
link   
WOW!!! Very nice! my boys were handed down some, currently hanging on their walls, but NOTHING, as nice as this IMO. I really wonder what all the markings mean.

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Be careful about restoring it-maybe ask someone from a museum/universary history dept.
Sometimes older items lose value if you clean off the patina.

I wonder if you got in touch with the right people in the Danish military,they may be able to help you find out what the inscription means.
Maybe its initials of one of your ancestors or details of the unit they were in.

Iv'e got a few bits from my great grandfathers including a glass hip flask which by some miracle survived the battle of Verdun,and an old 1912 penny which another relative rubbed smooth on one side while undergoing constant shelling in the trenches..the fidget spinner of the day.

Its cool finding out the stories of our ancestors through the items they leave us.
It gives us a more direct connection to them IMO.

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Those pictures are of curved cavalry sabres, despite having similar guard, grip and pommel, the blades are different. The curved blades are more effective at cutting and slicing from horseback.

One for sale here:Dansk-Jaegerhirschfaenger

edit on 26/6/22 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Might be Naval.

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I would leave it as is. Patina is king! That is a very beautiful sword.

We have a Japanese two handed Samurai sword my dad received for Christmas, December 25th 1945 in Japan. His commander ushered him through a special room and allowed him to select the sword he wanted. It is in a hard leather sheath, and is still razor sharp. I know, because Ive cut myself on it...

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 09:51 AM
link   

As others have said be careful about getting it restored, preferably don't but just keep it in a dry environment, it is a piece of your family history however and so how you respect that history is your choice.

The Numbers if they are military issue will almost definitely be traceable unless the records from that period are lost, there may even be records showing which soldier, sailor or officer it was issued to and giving you a name from one of your ancestors.

Best place to get it appraised would be a Danish military museum but one that goes right back.

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 11:17 PM
link   
That looks like a nice sword. I don't own anything like that, my stepfather had an old sword and gave it to his brother, I guess it was his grandfathers sword or something like that from the civil war. It was used by his ancestor during the war I guess. My ancestors all came here after the civil war. His was not that valuable, but it was a family heirloom.

Was the sword used by someone in your family OP or did he just acquire it from someone? Either way, it is a nice sword.

posted on Jun, 27 2022 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Yearh, that is the problem.. my father did not even know his father had it when he inherited it. We only know it have been in the family for longest of times and he got it from his father, and then it ends there... but perhaps I can contract the danish Royal guard and ask them if they have a idea.

new topics

top topics

join