It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia is starting a giant energy project

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2022 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

a reply to: RussianTroll

I decided today to digress from the topic of Ukraine and tell you about the largest energy project in the world, which Russia has begun to implement. In the future, this project will allow it to become a virtual monopoly in the production of environmentally friendly "green" renewable energy.

I suspect they will be critizized for this Green project instead of praised. Much like Tesla is now.

Dams in general are already being said for years by some environmentalists to be not that green. They are greener than burning fossil fuels, which is important, but the fluctuating water levels behind a dam are a major contributor to the worlds' methane emissions from the growth-and-decay of plants. Dams also create environmental damage by flooding animal habitats and cutting off fish routes.

How ‘Green’ Is Hydropower?

Hydropower is NOT Clean Energy: Dams and Reservoirs are Major Drivers of Climate Change

Opinion: There’s nothing green about dams. The federal infrastructure bill should tear them down

So what do you expect? A perfect solution to everything? Doesn't excist. Stop whining. Its never good enoug for the rainbow people is it.

I wasn't whining, hence my line

They are greener than burning fossil fuels, which is important...

I was just pointing out that calling a dam a green energy project is a misnomer since they contribute quite a bit of methane due to the way most dams fluctuate the amount of water behind it, which creates cycles of plant growth then re-submergence. It may be a little greener than fossil fuels, but it isn't exactly green. But that's the trade-off for a world that needs electricity.

Dams are energy producers for a world that requires it, but they shouldn't be labeled as a green energy source.

edit on 3/6/2022 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2022 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Necro Pyro

Guys, this russian troll (Гэбистская сука) operative is having a laugh. This project, like many other russian projects, will end up in the gutter and will make a few oligarchs even richer.
What do you expect from the country that has no roads outside of Moscow, 40 million russians having a hole in the ground as a $hitter, totally bankrupted its space program (Roscosmos), army with egg box carton for protection, all this simply because they'll steal anything. It's a make up of their DNA.

The problem with RT is I think he has never been out of Russia and just understands the world on what he gets from the internet that streamlines what he sees from Google and what official channels push out. He also sees how people live and just having one perspective what he sees as a norm does not mean everyone else is the same norm.

He just doesn't understand how good Americans have it, and Americans in general do not either. I spent a good amount of time in 70+ countries to include Russia and I have seen what 6 billion people live like and Russia is like China, NK and a couple of others that always show their best and never show what the vast majority of the population really looks like which is dirt poor to the point of not getting 3 meals a day poor.

People in general, but especially Americans need to really understand poor and middle class, so here it is. I'm using pew research as it is more current, but also follows the right definition of economic classes.

In 2020, according to Pew Research, 17% of the global population could be considered middle income. The majority of people around the world would be considered below this–51% are low income and 10% poor. For the higher income brackets, 15% are considered upper-middle-income and 7% high income.

The Pew study classifies middle income people as those who live on $10.01-$20 a day. The poor live on $2 or less daily, low income on $2.01-$10, upper-middle income on $20.01-$50, and high income on more than $50. As detailed by the study, all figures are expressed in 2011 prices and purchasing power parity dollars.

Here is the crazy part, 51% of the world makes less than 2 bucks a day.

ALL OF AMERICA IS UPPER MIDDLE CLASS OR RICH BUY WORLD STANADARDS... Even our poor are almost off the charts for world economic standards. 25,000 per year for a full families of 4 is off the charts. In the area I live the average earnings of a family of 4 is 55,000 per year.

When we look at Russia they see themselves as middle class on 500 bucks a month wages, and rightly so by world standards. Like 50% of the country is middle class, about 15% is dirt poor... What RT talks about for his lifestyle is very high compared to the vast majority of the country.

edit on 3-6-2022 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

We have The Bay-of-Fundy here in Canada, where they boast about having the highest tides in the world, at about 16 metres !

Twice everyday the bay fills and empties of a billion tonnes of water during each tide cycle—that’s more than the flow of all the world’s freshwater rivers combined. ...

When folks go-down at low tide, to collect clams and such, they go on horseback, or ATV now.
Reason being, well the story is, that when you notice the water coming-in, it's already too-late, because the water rushes-in faster than a human can run.
( Ok-ok : maybe faster than a human in rubber-boots, with a shovel in one hand, and a bucket of clams in the other... LoL )

There has been chatter over the years of some kind of tidal-wave project, to produce electricity.
As my weak memory recalls, it was mostly floating turbines they were looking-at.

Thanks for posting the news !

I live on the Bay. There was a tidal power project that was abandoned a few years ago because they couldn't figure out how to make the blades of the turbines strong enough to handle the amount of water that would pass through them.

There is a new endeavour happening now that claims to have solved this problem....

financialpost.com... t

The project was beset with troubles, as its two turbines, launched a decade apart, were both damaged by the roughly 115 billion tonnes of water that flowed into and out of the bay daily. After the second mishap, OpenHydro pulled its funding and technical backing.

The company has developed PLAT-I 6.40, a floating tidal energy system, equipped with six SIT 250 instream turbines. The tidal platform is currently undergoing commissioning and testing in Grand Passage before it is deployed to Fundy Ocean Research Centre for Energy (FORCE).

I hope Russia can succeed in this project and overcome the challenges of trying to build in such a remote and inhospitable climate. For it to succeed, there will have to be some major engineering innovations.

I have serious doubts about the cost analysis though. If the project ever comes to fruition I would expect the real cost to be 2-3 times higher then what's been stated by the Russian authorities.

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I decided today to digress from the topic of Ukraine and tell you about the largest energy project in the world, which Russia has begun to implement. In the future, this project will allow it to become a virtual monopoly in the production of environmentally friendly "green" renewable energy.

I suspect they will be critizized for this Green project instead of praised. Much like Tesla is now.

Dams in general are already being said for years by some environmentalists to be not that green. They are greener than burning fossil fuels, which is important, but the fluctuating water levels behind a dam are a major contributor to the worlds' methane emissions from the growth-and-decay of plants. Dams also create environmental damage by flooding animal habitats and cutting off fish routes.

How ‘Green’ Is Hydropower?

Hydropower is NOT Clean Energy: Dams and Reservoirs are Major Drivers of Climate Change

Opinion: There’s nothing green about dams. The federal infrastructure bill should tear them down

So what do you expect? A perfect solution to everything? Doesn't excist. Stop whining. Its never good enoug for the rainbow people is it.

I wasn't whining, hence my line

They are greener than burning fossil fuels, which is important...

I was just pointing out that calling a dam a green energy project is a misnomer since they contribute quite a bit of methane due to the way most dams fluctuate the amount of water behind it, which creates cycles of plant growth then re-submergence. It may be a little greener than fossil fuels, but it isn't exactly green. But that's the trade-off for a world that needs electricity.

Dams are energy producers for a world that requires it, but they shouldn't be labeled as a green energy source.

My point is that not even solar panels are green. so if we are to argue like this there is no green energy, which is a fact i agree but then you have to call them all out for it.

Peace my friend.

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: GAOTU789

Well hi there Fundyite !! Am in Montreal.

It's easy to imagine the scope of difficulties in both projects.

Just thinking of what the surface ones would have to endure : the ice ; flotsam such as logs, and pieces of luggage from MH370 ; a flexible system for the body of the turbines, in the constantly swelling, and massively tide-affected levels ; the coupling system to transfer the energy being produced on these variable planes, needs to be somehow transferred to a solid wire ; drilling through the sandstone to find granite for the anchoring system, the pull, and forces affecting the anchoring system, and a few billion gallons of water, fish, plankton, capelin, krill, etc...

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 02:23 PM
link   
It's a shame people don't recognize Russians for what they are: Human Beings. No greater or less than anyone else and with as many advantages and faults. As before, thank you for information that we would not otherwise have received. God Bless.

edit on 642022 by Elvicious1 because: Friggin' spellcheck

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elvicious1
It's a shame people don't recognize Russians for what they are: Human Beings. No greater or less than anyone else and with as many advantages and faults. As before, thank you for information that we would not otherwise have received. God Bless.

Who is blaming or attacking the Russian people?

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Get back to me when you've read the entire thread.

posted on Jun, 5 2022 @ 09:19 PM
link   
the US and NATO have killed millions of children all across the world and you didn't say a peep about it. They have even used nuclear weapons as late as 1997 against serbia and you were silent. Just drop the act already it's so phony and is just derailing any discussion of the topic.
a reply to: network dude

posted on Jun, 6 2022 @ 02:48 PM
link   
That's one heck of a bulls-eye for the coming WW3 they're helping usher in.

Prior to their invasion, I was very pro-Russia and thought they did a lot right (when compared to other world leaders). However after, many of the things are viewed in a different light and this project is no different.

Where is the money/resources for this project coming from?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join