It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enough Already!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Before anyone throws it in my face that this is a conspiracy site and therefore, I should expect heated debates, I want to make it clear that I am distinguishing between heated debate and flat out hate being spewed.

There is a horrible proliferation of the latter going on unchecked at ATS right now, and I'm sure it's going to get more intense as the weekend rolls on. I am tired, disappointed and downright disgusted with it!

The vast majority of the prolific threads regarding the Pope have resulted in one slug fest after another. Many of these threads seem to be started for just that purpose. The final straw is a member coming right out and saying may he rot in hell (that sentiment being seconded by another) and getting away with it. I am horrified at the unending opportunity that many members are jumping on, not to have debate or even intelligent conversation, but merely to regugitate their personal flat out hatred of the Pope, Catholics and other Christians.

I really think that members who can't distinguish between intelligent conversation (which requires some sort of tolerance and respect for other people and their views) and jumping on the bandwagon of hate are taking a serious toll on the purpose and credibility of this site and making me rethink my membership here.

For the record, the Pope threads are not the beginning of this, it goes all the way back to when I first joined in many areas, but I honestly think it has reached an all time high on this topic and if it is an example of where this board is headed, it's a sorry state of affairs.

Edit: Being asked by a Mod in chat if the new Pope will have to show his testicles to all the Cardinals didn't do much for my respect of ATS at this point either.

[edit on 4/2/2005 by Relentless]

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
Before anyone throws it in my face that this is a conspiracy site and therefore, I should expect heated debates, I want to make it clear that I am distinguishing between heated debate and flat out hate being spewed.

There is a horrible proliferation of the latter going on unchecked at ATS right now, and I'm sure it's going to get more intense as the weekend rolls on. I am tired, disappointed and downright disgusted with it!

The vast majority of the prolific threads regarding the Pope have resulted in one slug fest after another. Many of these threads seem to be started for just that purpose. The final straw is a member coming right out and saying may he rot in hell (that sentiment being seconded by another) and getting away with it. I am horrified at the unending opportunity that many members are jumping on, not to have debate or even intelligent conversation, but merely to regugitate their personal flat out hatred of the Pope, Catholics and other Christians.

I really think that members who can't distinguish between intelligent conversation (which requires some sort of tolerance and respect for other people and their views) and jumping on the bandwagon of hate are taking a serious toll on the purpose and credibility of this site and making me rethink my membership here.

For the record, the Pope threads are not the beginning of this, it goes all the way back to when I first joined in many areas, but I honestly think it has reached an all time high on this topic and if it is an example of where this board is headed, it's a sorry state of affairs.

Edit: Being asked by a Mod in chat if the new Pope will have to show his testicles to all the Cardinals didn't do much for my respect of ATS at this point either.

[edit on 4/2/2005 by Relentless]

Well it springs from a belive that there would be a hell in the first place - promoted outmost by the catholic church. Maybe the author of the "above criticised" statement makes a point for others to see though the ilusion of control and put the spokesperson of that belive into the pit.

JAK

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
A good post Relentless.

I used this example in chat during the early hours of this morning.

I may not like your father or someone else you hold in high reguard. I don't believe though that any of you would appreciate it, should they fall ill and it be believed they were on their death bed, were I to start harping on about my personal dislike for the fellow. You might, quite rightly, tell me to
off and think an intrusion at such an inopportune moment was at best insensitive and disrespectful or at worst think me pathetically egotistical to believe that my issues required voicing at such a inappropriate time.

I, unlike some apparently, am not so self absorbed as to consider my opinion so important that I should invade peoples grief to voice it. A viewpoint that I do not consider liberal, commie ot whatever you may wish to pigeonhole it, just a simple (and until now I thought painfully obvious) matter of polite respect for anothers belief.

Jack

[edit on 2/4/05 by JAK]

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Awesome thread and comments, Relentless!

You get a wank award for it.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 05:47 AM
link   
You have voted Relentless for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I said this in chat but I'll repeat it here,

Hate breeds where the Ignorant Stand

The ignorant find ways to express their views through various medias, hate, anger, insults, lies and foolish comments. It is best we deal with the Ignorant masses through common sense, structured debating and the knowledge that we listen and learn.

Nice thread

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by frozen_snowman
Well it springs from a belive that there would be a hell in the first place - promoted outmost by the catholic church. Maybe the author of the "above criticised" statement makes a point for others to see though the ilusion of control and put the spokesperson of that belive into the pit.

Just to clarify, whatever it is you are alluding too, (I'm not getting your drift) this thread is not intended to be another statement on religion, but a statement about the state of ATS.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:05 AM
link   
the threads which are insulting and sick to read, prove to us yet again that the dark days of ATS will be here for a long time. Why cant we make threads without hate? just cause something doesnt agree with you, no need to post offensive comments to try and "grab attention"....most of the hate threads, are point grabs....nothing else.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by frozen_snowman

Just to clarify, whatever it is you are alluding too, (I'm not getting your drift) this thread is not intended to be another statement on religion, but a statement about the state of ATS.

Two third of your thread is about "protecting" the pope/religion -not about the state of the ATS.

JAK

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
frozen_snowman, I suggest you try re-reading the initial post.

This is about the decreasing lack of respect toward other members viewpoints on ATS, only exemplified by the present situation as reguards the Pope.

For the record, the Pope threads are not the beginning of this,

That is the main purpose behind this post.

Jack

[edit on 2/4/05 by JAK]

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
There's a lot of unchecked things going on lately.....I have real problems with the homosexual threads....there are some people just downright hate filled....not to mention smaller rules.....I think the mods have been too busy with other things lately.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
There's a lot of unchecked things going on lately.....I have real problems with the homosexual threads....there are some people just downright hate filled....not to mention smaller rules.....I think the mods have been too busy with other things lately.

I agree with you I also has notice the anti Mexican resentment and border control one, going rampant.

Relentless you can always ignore the threads you don't feel comfortable with.

I try to stay away from the gay bashing ones, they are just pointless.

[edit on 2-4-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I know the mods are busy and they have lives, but in all honesty, if the flat out hate isn't addressed in some way at some point, this board is going down the toilet, and I really am sad to see it headed that way.

I honestly think some people need to be given a time out, forced to read the TOS and take a test on it to determine that they have read them and have a grasp of them before reposting. This may sound drastic, but the more it happens, the more it proliferates unchecked.

SAVE OUR ATS!

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by JAK
I, unlike some apparently, am not so self absorbed as to consider my opinion so important that I should invade peoples grief to voice it. A viewpoint that I do not consider liberal, commie ot whatever you may wish to pigeonhole it, just a simple (and until now I thought painfully obvious) matter of polite respect for anothers belief.

Jak!

Let the Catholics grieve in peace! No matter how one feels towards any religion, i cannot understand how some people have gone out of their way to cause trouble.

While i do not follow the Catholic faith, i do know that the Pope has always been consitent with his views and opinions and for that i have a great deal of respect for the man.

bleh. if you can't say anything nice go hide out in the UFO forums till this all blows over.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaNine

You get a wank award for it.

hahahaaaa!!

I am physically creased up!!

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
The ignorant find ways to express their views through various medias, hate, anger, insults, lies and foolish comments.

Oh, you left out reality TV.

Actually I think that if we are truly worthy of intelligent debate then stupid or ignorant/'hateful' remarks only identify the perpetrator to the rest of us. I would perfer that people be permitted to take full advantage of being able to express their stupidity so I can see it for what it is and thus avoid interacting with them.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by JamesBlonde
I would perfer that people be permitted to take full advantage of being able to express their stupidity so I can see it for what it is and thus avoid interacting with them.

Good point James, but in all honesty, when the drivel and hate mongering in almost every thread starts to overtake the board (and in my opinion it has) I think it really takes a toll.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Good point James, but in all honesty, when the drivel and hate mongering in almost every thread starts to overtake the board (and in my opinion it has) I think it really takes a toll.

Thats just the price we pay or being able to tell the difference.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Well at least it has been some tone down on the name calling, it was out of hand, and even when I used to brush it off, it kind of get to you after a while.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I'm not a catholic, nor am I a very religious man (it's just a relationship between me and god) but I love the pope with all my heart regardless of difference on certain issues and different creed. He is an inspirational man who has brought happiness to the millions and the effort he has put into his work and I am praying for him and my thoughts are with him.

Deep down I know his a good man and I respect that.

Anyone who wishes to speak ill of the pope at this grave time is someone with no honour or respect.

thanks,
drfunk

[edit on 2-4-2005 by drfunk]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join