It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Debt

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Forgiving student loans.

Like a television show building romantic drama, it seems like the current administration will continue it's will they, won't they narrative until sweeps week (midterms) rolls around in an effort to secure loyal viewers.

Not only does this stance leave fiscally responsible graduates, who have paid their tuition holding the bag, it does nothing to solve the core problem of rising college costs.

Here is my suggestion to combat the high costs of pursuing higher education:

1 course college degrees.

Instead of requiring 4-5 classes per semester to obtain a degree, issue class specific degrees.

A psychologist doesn't need to take math class.

An accountant doesn't need to take a history class.

If you put 100+ hours into a single course/trade you should get a degree for it.

Offer more courses and features online.

The costs of books are astronomical and they get yearly revisions. Updating a PDF file and issuing students a thumb drive would save so many resources.

Student debt is the symptom, address the cause.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: CloneFarm1000

The cost of college is so high because the government made it so easy for people to get funding. All that did was give colleges the go ahead to increase costs and enrollment.

Our education system is so awful that we send kids to school for twelve years only to tell them that they need four more years, at their expense, to get a decent job.

Nobody is truly to blame for the huge loan debt except the kids and their parents for signing on the dotted line but there can be an argument made on predatory loan practices.

As Daria once said.
"My biggest fear is to wake up at forty, miserable, because at sixteen I was forced to choose my future career.."

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 07:59 AM
link   
As long as college loans are guaranteed by the government, there is no reason for colleges to reign in costs. They get their money no matter what. No risk.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The votes against tax increases by the boomers,

Who wanted govt hands off the medicare

College Loans are backed by the govt!!!

The Intent is a HIDDEN TAX and was meant to be paid back for LIFETIME 😸..

As it's PURPOSE was the interest as a tax!!!

This is all within house 🏠 and senate documents!.

From decades BEFORE .... Look at Budgetary charts of the nations economy and the CORRELATION!!!!

edit on 4 5 2022 by LastFirst because: Bb codes.

edit on 4 5 2022 by LastFirst because: Error

edit on 4 5 2022 by LastFirst because: Spells

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Books are the biggest scam..

Book dealers bribe school administrators to implement price gouging and new editions!

Every angle...

I went to a few colleges as the military and govt drug me around..

What I learned, not finish!!

I ended up with a job and no degree.. in a position where all the others had 15 years experience and MASTERS DEGREES..
and the owner was surprised at how many problems that were not fixable, ended up being fixed by me

And I loved rubbing in their faces, how their arrogance and poor performance was due to LOW IQ.. and no amount of college would ever make them smarter..
edit on 4 5 2022 by LastFirst because: Thought.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Colleges are absolutely ripping students off. I got a ~$42k bachelor's degree (I still owe about $22k). I believe my courses were about $1,400 each. Many of them were online with "adjunct professors" - meaning there wasn't a professor, just someone who could answer an occasional basic question. One of the courses involved nothing more than reading an e-book. No quizzes, no tests, just read an e-book. That course like the others was about $1,400, and there was no excuse for it to cost that.
I see my degree as nothing more than a $42k piece of paper.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: BomSquad
As long as college loans are guaranteed by the government, there is no reason for colleges to reign in costs. They get their money no matter what. No risk.

Confirm my point ☝️ thank you!!

It is a hidden TAX.. designed by the govt.. to be JUST THAT..
govt educational loan sharks...

And many govt jobs that promise loan forgiveness.. it doesn't always pan out..

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: BomSquad
I am so on page with you on this...I have friends working at a pvt college and they are always bemoaning the lack of funds for this or that, yet they enjoy 3 fieldhouses, 2 chapels, a fine arts auditorium and multiple other buildings, of which one is just finished...and now they are subbing out maintenance and food service, bookstore, etc. to "save money"...and dropping staff and profs left and right.
I wonder what those places have in their endowment funds?
I love to ask them what the rate of tuition increase is vs COLA...

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Forgiving loans will only benefit the student, until is time to work and pay taxes, see while the loans will always be paid to the entities, in loan forgiveness is the tax payer the one that will be getting the tap at the end of the day.

When I went to college it was an university I earn my way with good grades to qualify, back in those days it was no such things as student loans or private colleges that sprouted once the loans were established.

My cost to my education? mostly free, due to grands.

By the time my younger siblings went to college, it was a totally new ballgame, they had the students loans, plus grands because what I paid in one semester for courses that was less than 100 dollars in my time, it triple for them.

Student loans availability and colleges for education for all, took over quality of education and not longer you needed to get good scores to get in this new colleges.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Locally we have nuke worker training. About a year and you can go to work making $80k starting if your good. 5 Years experience $150k. On the road $200k.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

I was in my 30's when I went to college. I ended up dating one of the Assistant Deans. One evening she told me what was really going on. The reason that you are made to take classes that have no bearing on your degree is to fund those classes and instructors or professors. Some of those classes are necessary for the College or University to maintain it's accreditation. Others are to make Liberal alumni and donors happy.

She even told me that they made political donations out of the activity fees to politicians who promised to look out for the school.

When they dropped their Engineering Program a few years ago, I told them to never contact me again. I was actually told that I owed them for helping me to get where I'm at today. I'm not allowed to post my reply to them here.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Wow, how big money got involved in education, I am glad that when I was in college education was totally different of what is toady, better actually much better none biased.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 09:23 AM
link   
College used to be more of a finishing school. Liberal arts was designed to make you well rounded across a variety of subjects.

The problem is that now college is mostly vocational in that the vast majority attend to better their employment prospects. In addition, because the work force supply has increased so much, employers are requiring degrees for jobs that really shouldn't require it.

Further, the government backing student loans has resulted in tuition inflation.

In the short term, the only way to reign in costs is to cut off student loans for the vast majority of students. Student loans should be privately funded with no government intervention. This would result in underwriting credit risk of the students considering future earnings. In addition, we need to encourage trade schools and other quicker degree programs.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

When I went to high school it was vocational training in schools, during the high school years, free of charge and part of the curriculum.

Because back then no everybody could go to an university, you could be a secretary in any job or work on specialized manufacturing, mechanics, with what you learned in high school.

I seen how education have changed into all about making money for colleges and universities profits are priority.

Now even foreign entities dictate education this days in the US with their wallets.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

The problem now is that vocational training is seen as less than... The kids who went to "shop" or vocational training were the trouble makers or not viewed as intelligent. Everyone has been fed a lie that they need to go to college to be successful.

People look down on plumbers, etc until they need something fixed.

My dad was a cop and my mother a secretary. They pounded in my head I needed to go to college. All they knew was that if you went to college, you would have a better shot of joining the professional class. They obviously wanted me to have better opportunities, so that is what they pushed.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 09:45 AM
link   
i always thought of college to be a waste of time. Unless you are going to be a doctor, lawyer etc.. I am in the automotive trade industry. We have such a severe shortage of employees as do most trades. You can make a really good living with a trade and never be unemployed. But no one pushes that in high shcool. They push it for the kids that they think are not smart and are not college material. Teach kids to be entrenpeneurs . Take control of their lives. They wont have debt and wont be unemployed.a reply to: CloneFarm1000

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Exactly are all agendas, is so interesting how those with money and to make money of others manipulate the system and brainwash the masses into what they want.

Look at how many American students graduate now, college degrees with a whole bunch of student loans having to fight for menial jobs with foreign students from other countries.

Because obviously here in the US our graduates are no even good enough that they have to compete with outsiders.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 10:11 AM
link   

In the short term, the only way to reign in costs is to cut off student loans for the vast majority of students.

10000%

It works everywhere else. In Europe many places college is free or very cheap, BUT not everyone gets in.
Here if you have the $$ you can get in.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zrtst
a reply to: BomSquad
I am so on page with you on this...I have friends working at a pvt college and they are always bemoaning the lack of funds for this or that, yet they enjoy 3 fieldhouses, 2 chapels, a fine arts auditorium and multiple other buildings, of which one is just finished...and now they are subbing out maintenance and food service, bookstore, etc. to "save money"...and dropping staff and profs left and right.
I wonder what those places have in their endowment funds?
I love to ask them what the rate of tuition increase is vs COLA...

The ROOTS of the 🌴 tree..

Of the good ole boy network..

Right there . Money buys influence... endowments and trusts..

Sway.. 💰🤑, power..control.. beginning to end

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: HODOSKE

Had a High School Guidance Counselor tell me that it was a good thing that I was going into the Navy, because I wasn't college material. I ran into her a few months ago and she asked what I was doing and I told her. Four Associates and one Bachelor's Degree later.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join