It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy plans to cut five expeditionary Growler squadrons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2022 @ 07:36 PM
link   
The Navy announced plans to cut five expeditionary EA-18G Growler squadrons from its inventory. A total of 25 aircraft would be sent to the Boneyard after the squadrons are disbanded. The five squadrons would be VAQs 131, 132, 134, 135, and 138. The expeditionary units don't deploy on carriers, but are deployed to land bases, and supply electronic support to the Navy and Air Force units flying from those bases. Last month VAQ-134 deployed to Germany in support of missions near the Ukraine. All five units are in high demand, and represent a third of the Pentagon's tactical electronic warfare support aircraft.

ARLINGTON, Va. — The U.S. Navy is proposing to deactivate five electronic attack squadrons, or VAQs, that operate the Boeing EA-18G Growler electronic attack jet, roughly a third of the Defense Department’s tactical jet electronic attack force.

As laid out in the recently released Department of the Navy’s fiscal 2023 budget highlights book, the Navy proposes to deactivate its entire expeditionary VAQ force, which deploys to overseas bases to provide electronic attack capabilities to the joint force. The five expeditionary VAQ squadrons are separate from the Navy’s VAQ squadrons that deploy on aircraft carriers.

The Navy is the only provider of expeditionary electronic attack jets to the joint force. The Air Force retired its last EF-111A Raven jets in 1998 and the Marine Corps retired its last EA-6B Prowler tactical jets in 2019. The expeditionary VAQ squadrons have deployed to Southwest Asia, Japan and Italy over the years in support of U.S. and coalition forces. Last month, one squadron, VAQ-134, was deployed to the European Command as part of the build-up of forces in support NATO’s eastern flank after the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

seapowermagazine.org...

posted on Apr, 22 2022 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Switching to drones or maybe drone swarms?

Some unmanned platform I'm sure.

posted on Apr, 22 2022 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Montana

Nothing in the works. There are no EW UAVs currently. The Growler is the only dedicated tactical platform in our inventory. The Compass Call does stand off work, but putting a C-130 into the role is suicide.

posted on Apr, 22 2022 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Did they not continue development of the Dash-X? Or is that too short range?

Even if they had, that platform wouldn't even be in the same universe as the growler or EA-6.
edit on 4/22/2022 by Montana because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2022 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Montana

Not enough range or capability. It's supposed to still be under development, but it's a phase II contract, so still has a ways to go. It can fly up to five hours, but only has a top speed of about 100 mph (85 knots). So it has to be dropped right on top of the target area to do any good.

posted on Apr, 22 2022 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Such a stupid idea.

posted on Apr, 22 2022 @ 08:06 PM
link   

At least they still have the carrier based squadrons, for now. Think they'll sell any of the airframes? They're all pretty low hours for the lifetime, I'd imagine.

posted on Apr, 22 2022 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
The Navy announced plans to cut five expeditionary EA-18G Growler squadrons from its inventory.

All five units are in high demand, and represent a third of the Pentagon's tactical electronic warfare support aircraft.

Logic is dead ( at least in the Pentagon)

Long live BS.....

posted on Apr, 22 2022 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

a reply to: anzha

It's all budget games. Right now the Navy is paying to fly their aircraft in support of Air Force missions. It's almost certain that Congress won't ever allow that much capability to be cut without a back up plan. But they may make the Air Force start paying for some of the missions and support for them.

posted on Apr, 22 2022 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

Probably not. They'll probably move them into squadrons that have higher hour airframes, and retire those, and strip them.

posted on Apr, 22 2022 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Any word on crew reassignments?

That sometimes gives up what they are quietly planning.

posted on Apr, 22 2022 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: PatriotGames4u

Not yet. They're still in the early planning stages. I don't think it'll get that far.

posted on Apr, 22 2022 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Too busy with crt to worry over combat stuff

posted on Apr, 23 2022 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Great, neuter the U.S. military even more. China is making moves all over the place, Russia is showing itself willing to shed blood... And the U.S. is worried about gender roles and cutting costs and can't even maintain newer naval vessels.

I really hope we have an ace up our sleeve should things go south.

posted on Apr, 23 2022 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Not yet. They're still in the early planning stages. I don't think it'll get that far.

Because you think the Growlers will remain assigned as they are?

That would be good news.

I was kinda hoping that this news meant that a certain Boeing program was secretly far ahead of schedule. I've seen no signs of that, but I probably wouldn't either way.

posted on Apr, 23 2022 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Between Congress and the theater commanders I don’t think it’ll get even close to that far. I haven’t seen a Boeing program in recent years that was even on schedule, let alone ahead, so I wouldn’t hold my breath on that front.

posted on Apr, 30 2022 @ 04:54 PM
link   

To what degree does the ECM built into the F-35 compensate for the growler capability? Actual ECM capabilities seem to be completely classified.

posted on Apr, 30 2022 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

I was thinking the same thing. Its possible. F35s can supply EW secretly. Also i figure the FA-XX program along with the NGAD probably can do it all too.

posted on Apr, 30 2022 @ 06:50 PM
link   

They aren’t a stand off platform like the Growler, but better than a standard self defense system.

posted on May, 1 2022 @ 12:54 PM
link   

They aren’t a stand off platform like the Growler, but better than a standard self defense system.

Can you explain what that means to the missions?

I.e. can F-35s of some model take over the EA-18G missions? Which ones are possible and which are not? Is the performance less?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join