It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Complex Life May Have Started on Earth Much Earlier Than We Thought

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Scientists from University College London have been examining a fist-sized piece of rock from Quebec dated to around 3.75 billion to 4.28 billion years old to determine if results from earlier research into the rock suggesting evidence of ancient bacteria are valid , their research discovered more evidence of complex structures contained within that seem to confirm the earlier findings meaning that life on Earth could have started much earlier than previously thought.

It was thought that life started on Earth , and so likely for other similar Planets , about 1 Billion years after formation but now this new information could push that estimate back to about 300 million years after formation.

However, after further extensive analysis of the rock, the team discovered an even larger and more complex structure than those which were previously identified. Within the rock was a stem-like structure with parallel branches on one side that are nearly a centimeter long, as well as hundreds of distorted spheres, or ellipsoids, alongside the tubes and filaments.

"This means life could have begun as little as 300 million years after Earth formed. In geological terms, this is quick – about one spin of the Sun around the galaxy," says lead author of the study, geochemist Dominic Papineau from UCL.

According to the paper, some of the smaller structures could have conceivably been the product of abiotic reactions, however, the newly identified 'tree-like' stem is most likely biological in origin, as no structure like it, created through chemical reactions alone, has been found before.

In addition to the structures, researchers identified mineralized chemicals in the rock that could have been byproducts of different types of metabolic processes.

For me and others with an interest in exobiology this is an exciting prospect and makes the probability of life on Mars even more likely due to the conditions known to exists in Mars's early years.

Perhaps the most exciting implications from this discovery are what it means for the potential distribution of life in the Universe. If life was able to develop and evolve in the harsh conditions of the very early Earth, then it may be more common throughout the cosmos than we think.

"This discovery implies that only a few hundred million years are needed for life to evolve to an organized level on a primordial habitable planet," state the authors of the paper.

"We therefore conclude that such microbial ecosystems could exist on other planetary surfaces where liquid water interacted with volcanic rocks, and that these oldest microfossils and dubiofossils reported here from the NSB suggest that extraterrestrial life may be more widespread than previously thought."

www.sciencealert.com...

Discoveries like this make it even more frustrating that Martian rock sample returns will not be realised until the early 2030's , if only we put as much effort into exploration as we do extermination we would already know the answers to the big questions.
edit on 15-4-2022 by gortex because: spelling

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Chan Thomas' and Charles Hapgoods' theories may not be so far-fetched after all. It seems scientists often become close-minded once they believe they have found the answer, overlooking other possibilities.

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 11:14 AM
link   
My 95 yr old dad is a scientist. He is a super genius with multiple titles. He has been summoned to the White house before by a VP for private meetings. He built a PC from scratch when Intel produced their first batch of 3 small chips. He used a paper floppy drive like NASA used in their moon shot. He went to Stanford to become a Bacteriologist, Microbiologist, Parasitologist, and Chemist. He was also Director of Research for a Fortune 500 company. He is also like a mathematician
He said this is all nonsense. He said Earth is far younger then they suggest, and the tests they use are not just inadequate and flawed, they are straight up foolish, and fanciful nonsense. There is an agenda. People can believe what they want, and pretend its pure science, but it most certainly is not.

This is the decade all will be revealed. You will know the truth by 2030. Keep watching

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

The ultimate appeal to authority, 'My Daddy said so...'.

YEC's are to science what McDonalds is to food.

edit on 15-4-2022 by AugustusMasonicus because: Cooking spirits since 2007

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus look down. See your knees? They will bend, and you will bow to the Living God you hate.

edit on 15-4-2022 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I like how all Gortex’ threads have at least one person ranting about religion.

Life being much older than previously believed i think is super cool, and the implications for Mars are pretty funky as well.

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Quite frankly I'm truly surprised that your genius dad chose to believe that a God sacrificed Himself to Himself to save us from Himself because of a rule He made Himself.

I prefer Tolkien myself.

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
look down. See your knees? They will bend, and you will bow to the Living God you hate.

Nah, not a religious nutter so it won't happen.

Like I said, people who think the earth is 6,000 are not exactly scientists.

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Hell yeah!

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: 19Bones79

Quite frankly I'm truly surprised that your genius dad chose to believe that a God sacrificed Himself to Himself to save us from Himself because of a rule He made Himself.

I prefer Tolkien myself.

Why are you assuming that Visited's genius dad believes any of that? Why not assume (since you are assuming) that he knows that religions of the world are created by men and are flawed and if anything only scratch the surface?

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Is that from the Nuvvuatigittiq Greenstone?
a reply to: gortex

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 02:33 PM
link   
thanks for thread topic

i ? the environment of a 300 million year old Planet

the year and day cycles were not yet predictable enough, the deep waters were still likely in atmosphere, vulcan was everywhere, the short-cut of thermal-vents is the only redemption to the speculation of early 'life'

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 02:48 PM
link   

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus look down. See your knees? They will bend, and you will bow to the Living God you hate.

"Last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everyone else, we ended up disagreeing." - Captain Steve Rogers

You can bend your knees before a tyrant or remain standing and shake hands with an honorable leader who respects you as his peer. Choose wisely.

Also, none of this pertains to the actual topic so let's focus on the eukaryotic rock. The dating of the fossils suggests these could be marine life forms because 2.5 - 4 billion years ago the planet was covered in water as St Udio mentioned above.

edit on 15-4-2022 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Some people won't bow, no matter what, it's in the book, towards the end.

Also, for those who suggest that the Genesis account is sequential haven't read it closely enough. There are a couple of things in the early chapters of Genesis that give different times and sequence to the same event/s.

None the less (with physicist hat on), if the universe arose from a gravitational singularity, the flow of time to any apparent observer is very dependent upon how far into the gravitational well the observer is. To someone close to the point of highest gravitation, the universe 'outward' of them would appear to run very fast. To someone on the fringes of the gravitational well, the progress of the inward universe would appear to be very slow.

What this means is that since no humans could have observed the early universe, the account must have been from the Creator's observational frame. Since they were notionally the originator of the universe, they would have been most likely have been at, or close to, the point of singularity, and therefore would have seen billions of years of universal expansion in what would have perceptually, to them, been a very short period of time. I have (roughly) calculated that at a point of 12 solar radii from the point of singularity, 14.3 billion years could be time-dilated to appear to be six days (24 hour periods).

What this means is that current and assumed ideas about time cannot be applied to the situation of the creation of the universe, because spacetime is extremely non-uniform in that situation.

Also, the relatively 'sudden' appearance of life gives less leeway for the supposed gradualism of of life arising from an accumulation of random accidents, so...

edit on 15/4/2022 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Problem with carbon dating is its accuracy starts failing after 10,000 years.... so carbon dating is very inaccurate.

100,000 years is very generous...anything beyond is nothing more than an educated guess/theory...

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer
Problem with carbon dating is its accuracy starts failing after 10,000 years.... so carbon dating is very inaccurate.

100,000 years is very generous...anything beyond is nothing more than an educated guess/theory...

Since Carbon dating presumes respiration (and therefore Carbon based life) and the cessation of respiration to allow the Carbon to decay atomically, without being compromised by uptake of new Carbon, it would be inadequate to date things pre-life.

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Don't think you can carbon date rocks , scientists use radiometric dating for dating rocks that works on the radioactive decay of elements in the rocks , they're like a clock as the decay is constant and measurable.

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 04:19 PM
link   

My 95 yr old dad is a scientist. He is a super genius with multiple titles. He has been summoned to the White house before by a VP for private meetings. He built a PC from scratch when Intel produced their first batch of 3 small chips. He used a paper floppy drive like NASA used in their moon shot. He went to Stanford to become a Bacteriologist, Microbiologist, Parasitologist, and Chemist. He was also Director of Research for a Fortune 500 company. He is also like a mathematician
He said this is all nonsense. He said Earth is far younger then they suggest, and the tests they use are not just inadequate and flawed, they are straight up foolish, and fanciful nonsense. There is an agenda. People can believe what they want, and pretend its pure science, but it most certainly is not.

This is the decade all will be revealed. You will know the truth by 2030. Keep watching

You forgot to add he is also a religious creationist. Did he tell you why rocks and many things measured so old, but everything was made 6000 years ago?

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

That was the singularly most awesome post regarding the Book of Genesis that I ever read. Kudos for your open mind, for a mind willing to think outside the box. Twisted my noodle somewhat, but in a refreshing & thought-provoking way.

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

You forgot to add he is also a religious creationist. Did he tell you why rocks and many things measured so old, but everything was made 6000 years ago?

1 2 3 Yep! All three of your statements are false.

And he surely didnt get shot up like you did. You were warned, yet you had faith in Fauci and those who are running the governments. That right there is religion. Faith based in people who wish you harm. Obviously Fauci is religious. Thats what His hand signals signify. Hidden hand, then right into the Baphomet. Real good call there Mr. X.

Yeah, go carbon date some rocks....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join