It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breached

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Received a letter today that my personal medical records have been breached along with others starting October 2021. This wasn’t discovered until Feb 15, 2022.

Very specific breakdown! Supposedly a leading forensic security firm is investigating this!

That is a relief I suppose.

Now, am I being paranoid in thinking it could have been my exs mother (she works for this medical group). She did try to poison me once with an especially made for me one slice of pie. Of course I was not going to eat it, and she stomped her foot on the floor and yelled “NO” when my son offered to eat it.

If it wasn’t my exs’ mother, why would somebody even want this info?

Any ideas?

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: KTemplar

It's hackers, not your MIL.

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Ex MIL

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 08:47 AM
link   

LOL, right, ex-MIL.

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 08:51 AM
link   
This smells like a scam, but I haven't seen the mail, so I'll leave it at that.

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

The letter also states that my SSI # and financial information were not involved.

It’s a 2 page letter that includes the 3 credit reporting agencies, recommendation of putting a security freeze on my credit file. Recommendations to file a police report in my current state.

Sent by Chief Compliance Officer with phone #s for contact, which I will be contacting! WTH!

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Call their customer care number and verify the breach. It doesn't sound like a hoax and you will want to follow those protocols if this is legit.

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Thank you! Will do!

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: KTemplar
a reply to: Klassified

The letter also states that my SSI # and financial information were not involved.

It’s a 2 page letter that includes the 3 credit reporting agencies, recommendation of putting a security freeze on my credit file. Recommendations to file a police report in my current state.

Sent by Chief Compliance Officer with phone #s for contact, which I will be contacting! WTH!

Now that sounds legit. Thanks for the further info.

What AM said...

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Under HIPAA you are entitled to a list of people who have accessed your medical records. Call the hospital and ask to speak to the Compliance Officer. Request an “Accounting of Disclosures” for your medical records. The Officer will notify you of the form you need to complete to request this (this request has to be submitted in writing).

If you find that your ex mother in law inappropriately accessed your medical records you can take action from there….start by reporting the breech to the hospital Compliance Officer or Privacy Officer.

The minimum fine for willful violations of HIPAA Rules is $50,000. The maximum criminal penalty for a HIPAA violation by an individual is $250,000. Restitution may also need to be paid to the victims. In addition to the financial penalty, a jail term is likely for a criminal violation of HIPAA Rules.

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 09:49 AM
link   

'agree with Augustus up there. Lots of info has been stolen lately. Do a credit or background report. On yourself.

Good luck, God bless.

Hey, this wont help...but here in Michigan we've had a million or so records compromised...and some large worldwides have had medical and personal inof compromised. So....CHECK YOURSELF!
edit on 04221430America/ChicagoWed, 13 Apr 2022 09:51:14 -050051202200000014 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Buvvy

You are right on all counts. I just didnt have the wind in depth...

With HIPPA even, I can access anyones record thru ER services, P.D./F.D., ususally any access at any patient portal computer, station houses, facilities....etc...only because I have access, its there, and no one really knows what Im looking at.

NOW! I dont, its not really ethical. BUT! Because I can...and anyone near access could...it is non un-reasonable the the MIL of past... could have gotten unrestricted access due to her position.

Like me.

Hey, thanks a lot.
EMT
ADLS/AdvLifeSupport
edit on 04225030America/ChicagoWed, 13 Apr 2022 09:58:50 -050058202200000050 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

edit on 04225830America/ChicagoWed, 13 Apr 2022 09:59:58 -050059202200000058 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 11:00 AM
link   

HIPPA protocols are breached all the time. Insurance companies do it at the drop of a hat.

What kind of pie?

edit on 13-4-2022 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Being in Cybersecurity, the average time an attacker is in the network before being discovered is 6 months.

Get an attorney. They will have to pay for like 10 years of Life Lock, and maybe other damages.
edit on 4/13/22 by KorosStrohna because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Call their customer care number and verify the breach. It doesn't sound like a hoax and you will want to follow those protocols if this is legit.

Also, ask them WHO or what entity accessed your records. You have a right to know!

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Data brokers?

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Lemon meringue lol with a smudge of arsenic probably. She is truly evil, and I made fun of her from the kiddies toy bench I was banished to for Thanksgiving.

I didn’t really mind because I Love children, but when she approached us in the other room to remind her grandchildren that she was the matriarch of the family; I jokingly feathered my hands towards my face and said that’s right “I’m the queen”; if looks could’ve killed.

That and I wanted out of that freak show for awhile and she knew it!

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: KorosStrohna

Thank you so much!

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Buvvy

Thank you so much!

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Thank you mysterious