It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silencer Shop Reports ATF Approving Suppressors In Record Time

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 12:49 PM
link   
If you own an AR, you need one of these to suppress the flash. It has less to do with muffling the sound of the round being fired. Eliminating that bright flash of light giving away your position visually IS a big deal. Nuff said.

Linkster The ATF recently allowed Form 4s or "Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm" to be submitted via eForms to reduce the time it takes for a law-abiding citizen to obtain a suppressor for a gun. Anyone who has bought a suppressor over the years has painfully understood it takes the ATF a mindnumbing 6 to 9 months for approval until now.

According to the Firearm Blog, citing Silencer Shop, a company specializing in suppressors and submitting Form 4's on behalf of customers, the ATF's eForm process has seen approvals in as little as six days.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

It's weird, but despite the fact that we have much stricter gun laws over here a suppressor is more or less considered an over the counter item. You're more likely to be stopped from buying one if you have poor credit than pretty much anything else.

Owning one is a matter of common curtesy, a quiet gun is much more acceptable to your neighbors than a loud one.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies
Owning one is a matter of common curtesy, a quiet gun is much more acceptable to your neighbors than a loud one.

Pretty much baffles most US gun owners. We have to pay a $200 tax stamp for the privilege of ownership as well.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I guess that's because people are more likely to use them for gang hits or something?

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

I guess that's because people are more likely to use them for gang hits or something?

I wouldn't expect those types to be following any laws. They'd get their stuff via China. China's gas filter can is a real headache for the Feds.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Theyve been legal here in Michigan for awhile. Just walk in and buy*

* some weapons, no
edit on 04225630America/ChicagoFri, 01 Apr 2022 13:37:56 -050037202200000056 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

gang bangers don't seem to concerned with giving away their positions inside the cars they drive by in. A supressor will not make the kill shot any less or more lethal, and it won't make the shot silent, just not so damn loud you need ear pro to shoot.

There was a bill that tried to make it through just before the Vegas shooting.
this is the latest incarnation:
www.congress.gov...

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Theyve been legal here in Michigan for awhile. Just walk in and buy*

* some weapons, no

I'm not sure that's true.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

You can purchase suppressors in Michigan. Handguns, I guess lots of "no" on rifles-long guns, AKs...but there are those. Check. Easy for 9s, 22's, 25's, 32s, 38 spec (mine), 357 Magnum (mine) 40 cal, 45 ACP (mine)

You can go online to 2 of my local suppliers if interested. Oh...yeah...an my permit lets me conceal a Tazer. So....Im thinkin.........!(not)

Top Gun Shooting Service-Taylor Mich
Action Impact Firearms, Southfield Mich

Both online...

Best..................................

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 02:04 PM
link   
There so hard to get due to movies misrepresenting them as actualy making a gun silent and them being called silencers

Simular justification was used to ban automatic knives its bs laws outside very rare cases criminals don't normaly invest alot of money in weapons they may need to dispose of

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Pass the hearing protection act!

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

You cant bring home a supressor in MI until you clear the ATF. (Form 3)

Unless you are a licensed dealer i believe.

edit on 1-4-2022 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: markovian
There so hard to get due to movies misrepresenting them as actualy making a gun silent and them being called silencers

Simular justification was used to ban automatic knives its bs laws outside very rare cases criminals don't normaly invest alot of money in weapons they may need to dispose of

Same language and culture that dub an AR-15 as a "weapon of war."

Its all crap

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
you need one of these to suppress the flash.

What are you afraid of ? ?
People standing up for integrity do
not need to hide like cowards or
cockroaches in the shadows.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Silencers ARE legal in Mich. Now...a lot of folks have them.

Visit any "Silencers are legal in Michigan" site.

Just looked. They are. As said ..and hey!

Don't see the need for em anyway, personally.
edit on 04220630America/ChicagoFri, 01 Apr 2022 21:03:06 -050003202200000006 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Legal, yes.

OTC transaction no.

ETA maybe OTC isnt the right term either.

In order to bring the supressor home, you still have to file and be cleared by the ATF firsr, and that pesky $200.

A process that usualy takes 6-9 months.
edit on 1-4-2022 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ToneDeaf

originally posted by: Snarl
you need one of these to suppress the flash.

What are you afraid of ? ?
People standing up for integrity do
not need to hide like cowards or
cockroaches in the shadows.

My understanding is suppressors and flashhiders hide the flash from the shooters eyes, not what you are shooting at.

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
a reply to: JinMI

Silencers ARE legal in Mich. Now...a lot of folks have them.

Visit any "Silencers are legal in Michigan" site.

Just looked. They are. As said ..and hey!

Don't see the need for em anyway, personally.

You still need a tax stamp and ATF clearance. I looked.

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

originally posted by: markovian

Same language and culture that dub an AR-15 as a "weapon of war."

Its all crap

When people say things like that they're usually talking about the look, not the function.

It's designed to make a civilian feel like they're holding a military M-16.

I've got no use for one, it's more suited to target shooting at a range than farming or hunting.

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Two hundred dollars for the tax, mine took over a year to process .

The muffler itself would cost $150 on the open market, but thanks to scarcity caused by government interference they'll never achieve lower prices that come with mass production .

With the stamp, it cost nearly $1500 and a full year for a little metal tube any criminal could have made in an afternoon for $50.

Abolish the ATF. They're just another agency standing between people and freedom.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join