It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Redirecting my retirement accounts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2022 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I had lost my phone for a week and was trying to change my investment direction. I can only login after entering a code that is texted to the mobile number. I finally found it before the month ended. Wondering why I needed to get it done by the 31st?? Well that's the Russian ultimatum deadline for Rubles payment for European energy demands.

It has the potential to affect share prices across industries. My primary investment funds (in my employer 401k) were in a growth fund that were outperforming the other available indexes 3 years running. Gravy train is running dry. It is an actively managed fund but its top ten holdings are still in a suffering sector. Mostly IT and tech. I don't even see the semi conductor company there anymore which I think was really helping it.

Of all the funds available, only two had a positive ytd in this solid first quarter. Two more at least had positive 1 years. After looking into their top ten holdings, I noticed mostly finance and energy with some minerals.

I figure energy is going to do well with these international issues driving up prices. Interest rate increases may have an effect on the ways finance industry can generate money. So i read some other expert opinions, and feel comfortable enough to follow some of the numbers.

I don't want exposure to the European market right this moment. Whatever happens on April Fools day, it may take a quarter to see which companies are going in what direction. After they figured it out, then I can see who in those funds may benefit, if any and move it accordingly.

I always felt actively participating in these accounts is exhilarating and educational and have helped my personal retirements growth improve vs leaving it how the company's planners manage it when you take no action. Every dip you successfully evade is like a personal victory against the cabal shenanigans. You cannot dodge them all, but the ones you do just add that much more to the compound interest.
edit on 4-1-2022 by worldstarcountry because: Final sentence correction

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Things will likely happen in late September.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I am staying in US only markets (mostly S&P 500).

I figure the plunge protection team and the Fed will keep the stock market propped up as their "last stand" to prove the economy has not collapsed and to keep the financial sectors from crashing again.
edit on 1-4-2022 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 12:15 AM
link   
The system we are living will continue to function normally. It's about finding where the value stays and even grows. Private enterprise will continue unabated, but the faces always change. A good chunk of the better performing companies in these indexes are domestic (North American). The international markets, which loosely just translates into European and Asia market exposed indexes, have not been doing well for the options I have. But other folks got different companies to choose from, i would love to hear about it.

These conversations don't needt to happen on Reddit or twatter. We can talk about it here too.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I'm not an investment advisor, however from my perspective you are backwards. Growth is going to take a huge negative for a while, meaning the stock price is deflated. As a result, if the price for a stock is 10, and you have 100, you get 10 stocks. Now lets say last year the stock was 20. well last year you were only buying 5 stocks. so right not you are buying more stock at a lower price. Eventually all this will end, and when it does, the companies will eventually recover, so the 10 stocks you buy will go back to 20, which means that the 100 investment is now 200.

Warren Buffet said buy when everyone else is selling, and sell when everyone else is buying. Its counter intuitive, but I wouldnt change anything. Ultimately you have to make a decision for you, and again, I am not an advisor, but for me, I would be increasing my investment in growth to buy more shares at a depressed price so that I have more shares in 10 years when the price returns to normal.

Camain

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Agreed
a reply to: camain

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I don't see the markets bounding forward anytime soon.

I would like to share this:

Government employees have investment options in a program called the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP). The basic rule is, you put 5% of your earnings into it ... and the government matches it. An automatic 100% ROI right there on-the-spot. Anyone not playing that game is a fool, right? Many folks fail to realize how many players there are in that program, but I'll guarantee you there are 10s of millions participating.

Now, a warning went out on Tuesday, that funds will be frozen as a new contractor takes over management of the system. If I were a suspicious man, I'd move all of my investment into the G Fund. Dates of concern: 26 MAY to the first week of June. Imagine 27 May as the next Black Friday.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:25 AM
link   
interesting events are underway in the stock markets...

most all the megacorporation high tech/ social media are busy joining up with Stock Splits mania

Tesla, Amazon, Google parent are all in that group...
i expect a boatload of Spin-Offs in the coming 16-36 months, despite the ravages of the Biden Inflation factor

irs form 8880, reallocate some IRA funds into a personal Attainig a Better Life Experience Account... i am processing one now

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I'm down about 7% this year have been up about that every quarter till regime change. Last year was a wash. Re aligning everything this weekend.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 10:08 AM
link   
You can reallocate investments at any time in a 401k provided you are in profit range. When you are losing it doesn't matter how bad it looks at any given time, the loss is only on paper until you sell, then it becomes real.

It is difficult to work a 401k account the same way you would work stocks. The idea is buy low sell high. But 401ks are usually in funds that are already hedged against big market swings by having holdings that play both sides of a potential trend. In general the gains are typically slightly larger than the losses so over time the fund increases in value. They do this by holding stock in both ends of a sector so if the sector increases most of the stocks in the fund increase while only a few decrease. If the sector loses most of the stocks in the fund will lose while some will gain, cutting your losses. Funds that target one aspect directly are more volatile but can provide greater profits, and losses. The more aggressive funds are subject to market fluctuation more than less aggressive funds which are already hedged against big market swings. Check the risk/reward ratio and make sure you are in the type of investment that can benefit most, or at the very least protect you the most, from these market conditions.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 05:17 PM
link   
We got out of the stock market and put most of our money into an IRA that pays peanuts....the squirrels are happy.

We still have around thirteen hundred shares of AT&T, which is spinning off after losing quite a bit over the last five years or so...don't know if the spinoff is good or bad, just kind of disappointed that the dividend will be dropping and am kind of leery of the Warner Disney spinoff stock in the future. But at least we have been getting a dividend check for the last eight years, which keeps us from having to dip into the IRA.

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I've spent the last year learning about day trading. I'm done investing in the traditional way. I was mainly into growth and speculative plays but everything I was in got slaughtered last year and I'm done! I managed my own portfolio because I didn't start with enough money that any advisor would have even given me the time of day.
Since I started day trading, mostly scalping and swinging, I have done fairly well. In trade a lot in premarket, runner's from news drops, especially biotech. Stocks can run up really fast and hard with good volume before the market even opens. My best trade was an oil stock that netted $3200 in just about 15 minutes. It kept running after I got out, I could have made 10k but I'm not mad about it. I play it safe. I keep it pretty cool because I truly hope I win, but don't have any emotional attachment to the money I'm using. I get in and out quick and don't try to swing for the moon. I have a small WeBull account and had only green trades in March, $1000 in profit that started with only $250. My larger account netted me $5K in March with a few losers but about 80% profitable trades. My strategy is a stop loss that is just a few points below my entry, and dumping small lots of shares when it goes up taking profits along the way. So far so good but I'm proceeding cautiously.
Ya, taxes, I know... if paying taxes you're making money. I'm going to get registered as an LLC and write off whatever I can and pull taxes out of my accounts along the way. I don't trust this market any more for long term investing. Watch Oliver Velez on YouTube, his strategies and philosophies have helped more than any other, and I have watched thousands of YouTube videos.

posted on Apr, 4 2022 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: camain

I redirected the funds available in my employer 401k. As in i moved my existing shares away from the currently lower performers to the ones now doing better. This is not then open market pick any company I want. I'm limited to the indexes available to me. I have to look more at sectors and industries and kick the funds with top holdings in the better performing sectors.

I'm not going to let my value slide sitting in lower performing indexes. I shuffle them around at least once a quarter but check on them at least once a month, or any time something points to some market instability. Lately i been checking every week.

As far as which ones i have ben buying, I did not stop buying the growth fund. It is still my biggest buy. I just spread it around to others that will be doing better now that some have bottomed.

new topics

top topics

join