It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A game of chess. ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I've seen a few members in a thread say they wanted to play. I thought about creating the first annual ATS chess tournament. However to start we can just play a single game. No accounts required. Should work on either mobile or desktop computers. Lichess is the name of the site.

The first game : Finished. Thank you for the participation.
I'm not very good, I don't usually play blitz I like to play 1+0 games. Some how having time to think hurts me? Go figure. Honesty ensured though.

On the main site, Lichess.org Play with a friend you can create the game and post the link here.

From here on chess will be referred to as " The Game "

Personally, I hate the game of chess I agree that it is the devil. It is such an odd game. Socially to understand. With the advent of computer chess, Even more so. It's been likened to war. Insanity. and the Devil. Such an ego driven game, Though it feels like you can rise above that. You can even appear to rise above that and not care about anything other than enjoying the game.

I was also thinking just the other day of making a post about the game, I am not surprised that no one has joined the game yet. It's a terrible game, No one should want to play. Yet some times even terrible things must be done. Because one can not say Chess is terrible. It's a personal thing, A lie we tell ourselves. So many lines of thought in every aspect. Bullet games though, Just try to focus on the best line. Playing by instinct rather than intelligence. Is more fun I think. Slow games just annoy me, A small mistake can mean a loss yet it will take 24 moves to get there.

edit on 8-3-2022 by MockusRubot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: MockusRubot

It was funny to me in the brief mention of the game. Cheating was also. Yes, Cheating could be a problem? Anyone could technically do it. I think they developed browser extension. Just a simple install and off you go.

The game being so ego driven, Does attract a certain type.. Bobby Fischer said, not a direct quote but along the lines of " My favorite part of the game is breaking someones spirit." "The look on their face when they know I have crushed their play".

That is why you must "rise" above the base chess emotion of wanting to "win". There is no absolute victory in chess. Even Magnus Carlsen gets upset over losses, After one game Maurice Ashley simply said, "Magnus, What happened? The game did not seem as smooth.. As usual?" That set him off.

The highest rated player to ever exist. Still upset over a loss. The thing I think that trips up most people. Is they overvalue their own intellect. We see people doing stupid stuff all day everywhere. We may not consciously think ourselves better, It is there though.

Chess shows that these so called "peons" you see in life. Many more are better than you at it. As if it's impossible. Your spirit goes into your moves if you think on them. So when they are bad, Your spirit does get "damaged". However, A chess master I used to watch play. Was asked if he thought being good at chess means you are "smart".
He replied, "No, It just means you are good at chess". Simple.

We have that idealized fantasy in our minds, Chess genius, being able to think 24 moves ahead. When in reality thinking ahead a few moves is difficult. Take for instance this latest World Chess Championship match, One of the games was, After being evaluated by a computer - Said to be the most accurate game played in a championship.

One or two games later, The challenger blundered. It was a pretty easy to spot blunder too. Like he did not even think 3 moves ahead.

edit on 8-3-2022 by MockusRubot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I am on chess.com and I know that they offered me automatic tips, like an assistant but I just use the free version. It's pretty good, you can play against people all over the world and get to know what country they are from.

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Chess.com is nice. Seems like the people on there are nicer, Than Lichess. Although it is in reality a lot of the same people. I like Lichess because I mostly play without an account.

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: MockusRubot

Personally, I hate the game of chess I agree that it is the devil. It is such an odd game. Socially to understand. With the advent of computer chess, Even more so. It's been likened to war. Insanity. and the Devil. Such an ego driven game, Though it feels like you can rise above that. You can even appear to rise above that and not care about anything other than enjoying the game.

you don't think chess is the end all be all of games of the mind do you

because

edit on 8-3-2022 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Lol. I may actually dislike that game more than chess. With chess I at least attempted to learn to play it. I like the pieces too, Knights hopping around they're very cute.

Go however just black and white blobs, No personality. They look edible too. Also the game has all the trappings of chess, You're a genius if you're good at it and so on.
edit on 8-3-2022 by MockusRubot because: Don't eat the Go pieces.

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I'm pretty good at go. So........ thanx lol

This is a great review of Go I love to share when people feel overwhelmed by the immensity of the game.

funny as well

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: MockusRubot

It was funny to me in the brief mention of the game. Cheating was also. Yes, Cheating could be a problem? Anyone could technically do it. I think they developed browser extension. Just a simple install and off you go.

I don't understand the point of that. I don't know what they gain from it.

I mean yes, when I play I want to win, and I want a higher rating, but I only want that for myself. It's for me to prove to myself that I can. You can't do that by cheating.

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 02:48 PM
link   

What's your name on Chess.com?

Mine is the same as here.

Also, what kind of game do you play?

I'm not sure if I trust my computer/internet enough for a fast game.

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

I would assume most start out like you, but become sick after losing and being damaged. So, They go on to want to hurt others. Chess trolls are a big problem too. Not cheating but they will purposely do things that are illogical. Just to prove they can still win, or to waste your time? It's one of the bigger factors to hate the game. The people.

OF course it could all just be an honest mistake too? There's just no heads or tails to it.

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 03:08 PM
link   

TDDA, I found and added you

I am really just a thickheaded beginner just playing, I don't even know strategies names but I could gather some experience. I just don't get from the spot, not sure why. I think it's my endgame / check mate game, at least that's what the statistic panel is saying, lot's of missed wins.

Practice makes the master we say. Evidently I was good when I registered after playing some bots without an account. Up to the one's I could access, a lot are locked for me. But it's different against humans and I lack the endgame. Evident by 66 moves against a 600 bot to nail the king down

edit on 8.3.2022 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Sometimes it's mistakes though. Like on the phone with the touch screen, missing a field happens fast and suddenly your queen is in striking distance of a pawn..and similar.

It happens and sometimes you can feel by the time it takes for the other one to make a move... the irritation lol. I got away lucky a few times, either not seing it or just out of confusion what would happen if they take the queen.

Don't let the other get in your head

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I don't know why I didn't make the question more clear, but when I asked what kind of game do you play, I just meant the time limits. Do you play the fast games where you only have a few minutes to make a move, or the daily games?

I usually played the daily games, not the quick ones.

I don't know any of the strategies either. I never know what I'm 'supposed' to do. I just play. I tried once to study the different types of openings, but that quickly bored me.

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Oh sorry my mistake. I wanted to write 10 minutes mostly but forgot. It makes sure the other one does not wait forever, because as of now 24h would lead to me forgetting about it for days. But I can imagine that as a side game, today it's late but you can challenge me anytime and let's just play. I think there is a function for this.

I also like critique / feedback, so I can grow and learn.

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 04:15 PM
link   

I like the site better now than how it was 10 years ago. They made improvements, but I keep getting lost now.

Today, I've just been going over some of my old games, trying to remember how to play. I was staring at a brand new board, and I couldn't even remember which pawn(s) I liked to open up with.

I've been wanting to start playing again for awhile, but just kept putting it off. You might be able to bump up your rating quite a bit by beating me. I know I'm highly over-rated at the moment. Actually, I probably should play a couple warm-up games on the Lichess site first, so I don't destroy my Chess.com rating with a couple quick losses.

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Through algebraic notation it is possible for any member here to play against another member using the mail system..no special apps or programs nesc

It works just like postal chess.

Our very own Victor VonDoom is an exceptional tactical/positional player..

I am an attacking fool whose hubris is only surpassed by my audacity.

I'm of the polgar school of chess..
I'm trying to backward engineer mate from move one..

I'm sayin'...

I lose alot..

😇

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Sir,
One can set a clock by your response time to post about Go in any board game thread.

And I Love it.

It's like my doomsday ticker...

If the gentlemen from Allegheny does not profess his love of Go.. I know I need to run out and buy more toilet paper..

😇

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I just played a few quick games on Lichess. I definitely need a bit more practice. Today is the first time I've played since 2013.

I didn't realize what 1+0 meant, but hell no, that's way too fast for me right now. I thought it was going to give me 1 minute for each move.

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Ha, Yeah many chess people wouldn't even consider 1+0 to be chess. I however find it to be quite interesting. You will never be good at it though, Without a solid chess foundation. Every teacher and professional say that is best developed playing slower games, 10+15. Afterwards going over them.

Still knowing that, I find it hard to play slower games. It's very much an addictive time control. 1+0
At first I thought I'd just play bullet to learn the basics of the opening. Now, I can't seem to stop. Even now I would say I've basically quit chess, but when online and have a spare moment, Lichess' no hassle games are hard to ignore.

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I play chess.

Would be interesting to set up my board and play a game with another member.

We could just post our moves back and forth.

I'll just look at the board while I'm playing.

Guess I'm old school that way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join