It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky was Irresponsible in Asking Citizens to Fight Russian Soldiers.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Wednesday, March 2, 2022

IMO: Russia was doing its best to show restraint, giving Ukrainians the time and roads to evacuate the country. Dropping just enough bombs to send them the message that this is serious, and they should leave ASAP....and come back later, when it's safe to do so.

But for some reason President Zelensky didn't take Putin seriously...either before or after the invasion started. He told everyone to stand their ground and fight with whatever they could find to use as a weapon.

From 2.26.2022: thehill.com...

Bad idea. Many Ukrainians who would have left, are now being killed.

Example from today: www.the-sun.com...

Was Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky's urging of civilians to "stay and fight" a wise thing to suggest?

After all, it's been known for weeks that over 150,000 Russian soldiers, armed with Guns, Tanks, Missile Launchers, Jets, Helicopters, Ships, etc.., have been preparing to invade/take the country of Ukraine.

Urging civilians to stay and "Give em hell!", in the face of such overwhelming firepower was not smart, IMO.

What do you think?

How many dads/moms/children are dying right now, who would have been safe in a neighboring country, if Zelensky had not urged them to stay?

-CareWeMust

edit on 3/2/2022 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

No one forced them. But, would you stay for your country? I would.

There are some extremely determined Ukrainians right now. God bless them all.

I'm reminded: "War is Hell"....

Hey CareWM? God bless ya...✌️

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Would you stay and fight to the death in the face of such overwhelming firepower?

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I think he is throwing his people to the wolves. Its ok to fight for your country, but it seems they were pushed hard right away, it seems to be the main event if you will, of this whole situation. almost like their military doesnt exist and all they have are civillians.

I think he is an imature and inexperienced leader, imagine encouraging people to throw moltov cocktails out of your windows, maybe when all has failed, but to be put on the front lines right away!!

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Both sides suck
But i think it should be a choice,esp when confronted by such overwhelming force
Ukrainian men aged 18 to 60 have been banned from leaving the country and urged to join the army

edit on pmWednesdayWednesday21100000003pm3 by all2human because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 11:12 PM
link   

He did force able bodied men between 16 and 60 to stay and defend their country.

He also spent YEARS training those same folks for this.

I don't have any problem with that, someone just invaded their country.

Israel has a similar standing policy, for similar reasons, and similar enemies.

I don't have a problem with that either.

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: alphacenturi

Maybe Zelensky has never seen a demonstration (live or by video) of what military-grade weapons do to buildings and people?

I've read he comes from a show business background. Maybe he didn't take any of the war movies seriously. It was only props and acting.

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Would you stay and fight to the death in the face of such overwhelming firepower?

"Those who will not stand for something will fall for anything".

So much for "stand your ground".

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 11:15 PM
link   
If this country was under attack regardless of the odds I’d stay.

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: all2human

Both sides suck
But i think it should be a choice,esp when confronted by such overwhelming force
Ukrainian men aged 18 to 60 have been banned from leaving the country and urged to join the army

I would take my boys (in their 20's) out to the country/rural areas, where we'd stay until things were "settled".

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Wolverines!

Losses of the Russian military in equipment and men during the war in Ukraine between February 24 and March 2, 2022

www.statista.com...

Russian Losses

Troops 5,840
Combat Armored Machines/APV 862
Automotive equipment 355
Tanks 211
Artillery systems 85
PMM tanks/fuel tanks 60
Grad systems 40
Helicopters 31
Aircraft 30
Anti-aircraft missle system BUK 9
Drones 3
Light speedboats 2

Elite fighting unit sent to assassinate Ukraine President Zelensky killed

www.mirror.co.uk...

www.thetimes.co.uk...

More than 400 Russian mercenaries are operating in Kyiv with orders from the Kremlin to assassinate President Zelensky and his government and prepare the ground for Moscow to take control, The Times has learnt.

The Wagner Group, a private militia run by one of President Putin’s closest allies and operating as an arm-length branch of the state, flew in mercenaries from Africa five weeks ago on a mission to decapitate Zelensky’s government in return for a handsome financial bonus.

edit on 2-3-2022 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Well I would stay if it were me...but by staying and also taking up arms I am making myself a combatant so no boohoo they're killing civvies...once you take up arms you aren't afforded the protections of a civilian and if you are around other people you are making them a target too.

So as with anything here are pros and cons...

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 11:22 PM
link   

You are usually so spot on. I think Ukranians should fight as though their lives and lively hood depend on it. Living isn't all its cracked up to be, but for those who surrender and run from their problems it is so much less. God bless the Ukranian people and #### Putin for putting them in such a position.

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mantiss2021

"Those who will not stand for something will fall for anything".

So much for "stand your ground".

"Something" can be any number of things. Is this "something" worth almost certain death? There's no Luke Skywalker who's going to shoot a magic bullet that destroys the Russia army.

There's a magic bullet for stopping Putin though. Maybe one of the nations will use it.

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Yes.

After ensuring that family made it safety.

Odds aren't an issue at all for me in that decision.

I'm old & weak but I'd make a pretty good decoy for someone with skills.

For a while anyway.

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: onthedownlow

You are usually so spot on. I think Ukranians should fight as though their lives and lively hood depend on it. Living isn't all its cracked up to be, but for those who surrender and run from their problems it is so much less. God bless the Ukranian people and #### Putin for putting them in such a position.

We'll have a clearer picture after Putin has achieved his goal.

Just like I didn't think shutting down America was right because a disease was killing older and sicker people, I don't think staying to fight a hopeless battle is the way to go either.

But I am wiling to die to stop evil leaders in Washington D.C. and our traitorous MSM.

So I guess the amount of risk to take for achieving any given objective is personal, like you say.

edit on 3/2/2022 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Dropping just enough bombs to send them the message that this is serious

Really?.. *face palms* we'll kill just enough of you for you guys to get the message were here to liberate you from your government. How can you type that without at the very least realizing how stupid that sounds.

Any way those citizens are doing some pretty good work stalling one of the supposed big armies of the world... its been a week almost, and Russia through its own ineptitude and Ukrainian militias have hardly made any head way into the country.

Find it funny that on a site like this were every second person seems to be the 'god, guns and country' type you suddenly have the pro Russia people saying how dare they muster or condone citizen militias... are you lot running out of negative arguments to throw against Ukraine and its government or something that you actually start to use the excuse of 'how dare they let their people fight 'well armed' soldiers'?
edit on 2-3-2022 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

Well I would stay if it were me...but by staying and also taking up arms I am making myself a combatant so no boohoo they're killing civvies...once you take up arms you aren't afforded the protections of a civilian and if you are around other people you are making them a target too.

So as with anything here are pros and cons...

That's a very well-balanced view that enables individual freedom. We have our opinions, but in the end, it's up to the individual.

I still feel its wrong for Zelensky to ask his civilian men to stay, fight, and likely die. Let the military do that.

link   

originally posted by: all2human

Both sides suck

I would take my boys (in their 20's) out to the country/rural areas, where we'd stay until things were "settled".

Why would you not let your 20 year old boys..men

Choose for themselves?

Stay safe

Riouz

link   

Ummmm.. Fight to the death in the face of overwhelming firepower?

Well, Yeah

You know that was our plan / mission when we expected Soviet invasion of Europe. Those units on the East side of the Rhine River to the Fulda Gap were fully expected to do exactly that. Hell even on the West side of the Rhine was strictly a holding action until reinforcements.

We were not going to allow the Soviet scum to get to our families who would be evacuating.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join