It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Occurrence on Private Secure Network

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2022 @ 08:27 AM
link   
First off, this occurrence seemed to me to be paranormal, however, I'm putting it in the Computer Help Forum hoping for some reasonable explanation.

I recently purchased a solar powered outdoor weather station that uses a WiFi network for the display unit and any computer with the program it uses. It's a low power open WiFi network, one than will likely only reach about 300 feet, if that with all the trees around here.

I have another secured local area WiFi network I use for my security cameras, it's powered by a router (no internet connection) on a desktop computer I use for the security system and another desktop with a router (also no internet) that has an open WiFi LAN for transferring files and things between computers and devices as well as for the printer.

Now, I was playing around with the network settings to see if I could get the security desktop computer to operate on the secure network while connected to the open weather WiFi network. Because the router is connected with an ether net cable it could monitor the security cameras on the secure network and still connect to the open WiFi for the weather station, so it worked like I hoped it would.

Then I connected to the open weather WiFi network with both computers and couldn't couldn't figure out how to connect them together in my network settings. So I connected to the secure network with my other desktop and shared the weather network connection in the security computer system to see if I could connect the weather app in other desktop through the secured network and shared connection. That didn't work, but something weird happened after that.

The two computer systems were showing up in the network settings, but before I could see how to connect through the shared connection, something strange happened, a third computer showed up in my private secured network, a computer named "austin", one I don't own. It appeared for about 3 seconds before disappearing.

All I can think of is that someone (like a neighbor) with a computer they named "austin" joined the unsecured open WiFi on my desktop or weather station, saw there was no internet connection and left. But no one lives closer than a 1/4 mile from me, too far away to pick up my WiFi LAN networks. It is also strange, because in order to be in my network at that moment, they had to connect through the secured WiFi LAN I used for my security cameras that requires a password.

So what the hell happened? I know two people named Austin and I feel that one may be in danger now that this happened. That's the paranormal angle, although there must be some more rational explanation.
edit on 1-3-2022 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Mar, 1 2022 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

This is just a complete wild guess. I don't know if it's possible or not, but it was the first thought that came to mind...

Is there any way that someone passing by may have had something that regularly automatically checks for open networks? Maybe the computer in a vehicle, or maybe a laptop, or a cell phone, etc... idk.

posted on Mar, 1 2022 @ 08:59 AM
link   
It's WiFi after all.
If anyone tries to connect , and you have Wi-Fi locked down , they just "clicked on an icon" to find your network was locked .
Then quit .
About 3 seconds there .
Happens all the time .

posted on Mar, 1 2022 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles

This is just a complete wild guess. I don't know if it's possible or not, but it was the first thought that came to mind...

Is there any way that someone passing by may have had something that regularly automatically checks for open networks? Maybe the computer in a vehicle, or maybe a laptop, or a cell phone, etc... idk.

That would be the most reasonable explanation, however, a cell phone searching for a WiFi connection wouldn't show up in my networks, it would have to be a computer like a laptop, so maybe a car's computer could do it.

The road is about 300 feet away, and when I used a directional outdoor WiFi antenna with the open WiFi LAN network and tested the signal with a tablet, I lost it just before getting to the road. Also, I don't use the outdoor antenna now, it's just my indoor ones except for the weather station. My place is sided with aluminum siding and has a tin roof, so little of my indoor signal gets outside. I'm really not sure how far the weather station reaches, I'll check that today soon.

But a two or three second connection into my network is about the time a vehicle takes to pass by I should think.

posted on Mar, 1 2022 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
It's WiFi after all.
If anyone tries to connect , and you have Wi-Fi locked down , they just "clicked on an icon" to find your network was locked .
Then quit .
About 3 seconds there .
Happens all the time .

Sure, but they were part of my private and secure network in that amount of time, they had to be connected first, like through the weather WiFi signal that is open.

ETA: I had first though that my network had a glitch in relation to the weather station, that is the only new thing I've added lately, but a computer named Austin! Really?
edit on 1-3-2022 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Mar, 1 2022 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Is it possible that Austin has bought a computer to your place or has he been there with his phone?

Where was you seeing these names connected?

Was you in the D-Link modem website?
Sometimes I see stuff on my connected devices disappear on the D-Link modem website.

posted on Mar, 1 2022 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Well, what about some AI infiltrating my system?

An antenna on the closest cell tower, a mere couple of miles away, or a satellite in low orbit, could focus in on my tiny wireless LAN and infiltrate my system while entirely off line. Probably cracked my passwords and encryption already and has easy access now.

posted on Mar, 1 2022 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Rob Braxman explains, in detail, how this is occurring via a low power bluetooth signal.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2022 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: amraks

I do use a D-Link Router for my open WiFi LAN, my stepdaughter's boyfriend, named Austin, has been here with his phone. But my phone doesn't show up like that, I don't think. I'll explore that possibility, thanks.

posted on Mar, 1 2022 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ToddB
Rob Braxman explains, in detail, how this is occurring via a low power bluetooth signal.
www.youtube.com...

That's interesting. I just got a bluetooth USB adapter for the security computer about a month ago. Of course, you have to accept a bluetooth connection to get into the network. I'm not sure how that could get someone into my private LAN though, another possibility to explore.

I had made a thread about this very subject in another forum and bounced the idea around there. I should put that up with your information here.

Below is a video from Rob Braxman, aka the internet privacy guy. In this video he discusses the Bluetooth Mesh Network, a network that doesn't rely on the internet. The network is built around a flood of sensors (including your phone) where nearly every square inch can be tracked.

poorrichardsnews.com...
edit on 1-3-2022 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added Links

posted on Mar, 1 2022 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Austin the name of the motherboard of Amazon devices like Kindle, Fire, etc

Own an Amazon device?

posted on Mar, 1 2022 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

Nice reply. Will check it out.
I believe my GF has a Kindle and perhaps another Amazon device.
edit on 1-3-2022 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Mar, 1 2022 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I just checked all my WiFi network's connection distance. They all get lost at just under 300ft based on my smart phone reception. When right in the middle of the road I get nothing, then as I get up the drive it comes in enough to connect. So someone would have to be in my driveway to connect, unless they have a more powerful reception than my phone.

posted on Mar, 1 2022 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Take your pick. Some are rather expensive, but, if they're using someone else's money, won't matter to them...

Solid SIgnal WiFi Antennas

posted on Mar, 1 2022 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I have a pc a cell phone, a 2020 Chrome book, 2012 Macbook, and a 2008 Dell netbook. The Dell can pick up 6 other networks in my house. The Chromebook can see 3 if I'm outside, macbook can see one from outside. My phone can't see my own network or any others outside my house.

My point is, testing range with only one device dosen't provide enough data to be useable.

posted on Mar, 1 2022 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Sure, but they were part of my private and secure

Most likely not .

posted on Mar, 1 2022 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
Sure, but they were part of my private and secure network in that amount of time, they had to be connected first, like through the weather WiFi signal that is open.

Doesn't the fact that something appeared on your network means your network was seeing it and not the opposite?

posted on Mar, 1 2022 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jason79
I have a pc a cell phone, a 2020 Chrome book, 2012 Macbook, and a 2008 Dell netbook. The Dell can pick up 6 other networks in my house. The Chromebook can see 3 if I'm outside, macbook can see one from outside. My phone can't see my own network or any others outside my house.

My point is, testing range with only one device dosen't provide enough data to be useable.

Very good point, different devices have different ranges of reception, just like routers have different transmit and receive levels and, as pointed out by NightFlight, different antennas have different ranges and uses.

I will try a few other devices like a couple of tablets and a an HP laptop I have and see what happens outside.

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

Doesn't the fact that something appeared on your network means your network was seeing it and not the opposite?

When I'm looking at the Network, it shows what computers are currently in it. It won't look for or show any computers not actually connected to the same WiFi router.

A computer could be set to connect to any available network and when they do, it could show up in the open network when it connects, even though it may not be able to do more than that. Also, I can have a computer connected and it may not see any other computers on the network. It's a buggy network I've cobbled together and I have to play with it to get it to work right occasionally.

ETA: I tried several times to network with other computers while connected to the weather station's WiFi and it didn't work, no other computers would show up in the network. So, this "austin" computer connected through my open WiFi network I use to link all my devices. I have that on 24-7, even though I may not have any computers turned on.
edit on 2-3-2022 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Mar, 3 2022 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Jason79

Just tested the laptop and a tablet and they did a little better than the phone and held onto the weather station signal and could connect to that. The tablet could do a little better by picking up on two signals at the road, but it was less than one bar. So, bottom line, some devices and computers can pick up at least a couple WiFi signals from the road. You would have to be pulled into my drive a couple car lengths to get all the signals it would seem.
edit on 3-3-2022 by MichiganSwampBuck because: For Clarity

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join