It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Storm Eunice: London Millenium Dome being destroyed by high winds

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Oh dear this is not looking good.

twitter.com... &ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.twtd.co.uk%2Fforum%2F530460%2F02-arena-getting-shredded

I must admit I am surprised it lasted as long as it did-I always thought there would be problems for what is really just a very big tent.

London is getting hit pretty hard,along with many parts of the UK and the storm has not yet peaked according to the met office.

Stay safe everyone.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Torn sheets. Meh.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

My little sister is visiting Dover this week......perfect timing.

She sent a text saying....Met Office severe weather warning -

Southerners are urged to stay indoors and do not travel unless absolutely necessary.

Northerners, you might need your big coat.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Found this -

LIVE: Airplanes land at Heathrow Airport as Storm Eunice brings strong winds

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

Make sure she is careful if she is carrying an umbrella.

We don’t want her turning into Mary Poppins.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Now I do not remember the '87 hurricane (22 UK fatalities) but I was more than sentient during the Burn's Day storm (1990, 47 UK fatalities) and compared to that, this definitely ain't it, chief.

But lol I do like wind I do

To experience the dread and terror that we feel here in the UK during a storm, press play on the following video and then look at the picture below:

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: markymint

My younger Bro was born in the 87 storm-and yes that was worse(so far).
Here in Wales its pretty windy,a few trees down and branches(and fkin masks) blowing around and I just had a short power outage but looking like the South is getting it worse.
In 87 the UK lost some of its oldest,biggest and coolest trees and it looks like we are seeing that happen again sadly in the south.
Its bad enough to make it a nightmare for lorry drivers and pilots though.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Its a bit windy out there.

www.walesonline.co.uk...

Happily the local Pub is next door and open after last night's power cut.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Guess that means London is in danger of getting pregnant now.

Alright stupid joke and a rude one for the 'other' new Babylon that London is.
But it goes to show you then just don't make them like they used too.

That or very poor maintenance is responsible and a large domed roof is like an aerofoil meaning likely there us suction upwards caused by the wind passing over it, material degradation, large area and difficult and costly maintenance and in fact I am not even sure it was meant to be standing this long as it was really just an expo or world's fair type building built for the millennium celebrations and likely they thought that afterwards the real estate would be redeveloped creating more temporary building jobs and new venues and business property's as well as possibly home's.

A white elephant by all account's, when they build thing's like this they are like black holes were money disappears under the table and into back pockets.

Worse though when you walk past old buildings that are in a poor state or repair and need re-roofing in high winds only to have slate tiles blown from the roof's just miss you or damage your car because some idiot has build a car park for a supermarket next to such old buildings.

edit on 18-2-2022 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
a reply to: markymint
My younger Bro was born in the 87 storm-and yes that was worse(so far).

I slept through that night to wake up to a disaster scenario.

Good thing was we couldn't work the next day so went to the pub for hand drawn beer by candle light.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

Ah the one were Michael Fish denied there was going to be a storm and then the ancient Seven Oak's blew down after hundreds of years of weathering storms that were nothing like that one.

He never lived that down but it is still chuckle worthy to this day and to be fair they do get things wrong in meteorology.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Ironically, my sister lives in London but might actually end up being safer in Dover.
News here is saying that the South West and South Wales are getting it worst but it's pretty bad elsewhere.
Went to pick up some shopping this morning and dodged a few nasty downpours. I'm on Staffs /Cheshire border on a hilltop with open fields out back but some fairly large trees swaying around on either side.

I haven't seen the wicked witch of the West flycycling past the window just yet but will have to wait and see.
You're right about the buildings and flying debris. Being exposed up here means we get a lot of wind and noise but built up areas will get a funnelling effect and more sudden bursts to contend with.
Keeping one eye on the power cables out front just in case.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

Little tiny bit further north in West Lancashire at the very edge in a town called Ormskirk (more or less in Merseyside as it's an old market town that used to make it's money selling produce to Liverpool and to be fair the wind is gusting quite hard so my main concern will likely be fixing all the fence panels again.

I have seen it worse in the past than it currently is but it is likely to get stronger later, how much stronger well have to wait and see.

edit on 18-2-2022 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Apparently the dome was planned as a temporary building with a one year lifespan, so that might account for it coming apart two decades or so down the line especially in bad weather with high winds.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake
I guess its done pretty well for a tent then.
I never rated it much,always thought we should have built something more impressive and long lasting to celebrate the millenium.
Although I am not impressed with most modern architecture.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 10:03 AM
link   

It's bin day here and I saw a couple of wheelie bins that had strayed along the pavement or fallen on their sides and some of those little food waste buckets were going walkies.

Being in the countryside we have lots of old trees and narrow lanes which, I expect, could be a poor combination.

Will be calling a friend later who lives in a big old house surrounded by massive old trees in an ancient village a couple of miles down my lane. Hopefully he won't get the full force because it's in a bit of a valley but the area has been known to flood occasionally.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Why do you have banshees howling in the wind? My ears! lol

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Look at those isobars!

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Little bit of wind outside bit of rain not that different to nnormal really

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 11:05 AM