It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since when did Curling become THE Olympic event???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2022 @ 09:29 PM
link   
We've been watching the Olympics this year and we've tuned in to the cable channels and networks for a major portion of all the broadcasts. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I am absolutely stunned at how much Curling they've broadcast for the 2022 Winter Olympics! It seems like it's on every single day, and for 2-3 hours every day (or more). There's been Mens Curling, Womens Curling, Mixed Doubles Curling, Team Curling...solo curling, upside down curling, backwards curling, drunk curling and every other kind of Curling imaginable. It seems endless. Yes, there are other sports on (eventually...in between the Curling events). So far, I've actually watched a hockey game get interrupted by Curling. It's everywhere!

Since when did Curling become THE Olympic sport???

I mean, Curling is interesting...for about the first 4 minutes, but after that it's like watching shuffleboard at an old geezer's community. I don't recall ever hearing about a country getting banned for "doping" in Curling. There's no hotties (women or men) in Curling. There's never been a scandal in Curling...to the best of my knowledge. And what if there was? What would it be? Someone stealing some other team's 40 lb. chunk of rock???

If you want to watch something OTHER than Curling you either have to watch it two days after the event, or stay up until 2am to see it. My favorites are the Alpine Skiing events (Downhill, GS, Slalom, Jumping, Freestyle), Figure Skating, or Hockey, or the Sled events and even things like Biathalon. Nope, you're gonna' watch Curling, dammit! And if it ain't Curling, it might be a few minutes of Snowboarding...and then it's right back to Curling again.

What happened????

edit on 2/13/2022 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2022 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I think curling has been a highly watched event for the last several Olympics.

On a side note..
I tried curling once...it's a bitch, much harder than it looks

posted on Feb, 13 2022 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I think curling has been a highly watched event for the last several Olympics.

On a side note..
I tried curling once...it's a bitch, much harder than it looks

"Watched"??? Or, just broadcast? There's a difference. I'll bet 99.99% of the entire World can not even name a single Curler by name! Just think of how many other sports have stars which are household names...but not Curling!

I have no doubt Curling is difficult, and I'm not trying to minimize this, BUT it is not the ONLY sport at the Winter Olympics! And, it is by FAR not the most popular sport in the Olympics, or anywhere near it! How many televised Curling events have you seen outside of the Olympics? I've seen a whopping zero in my 58 orbits around the Sun.

I've had to endure enough Curling to choke an elephant this year. Enough with the Curling for cripes sakes!

edit on 2/13/2022 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2022 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Soon we will have the summer Olympics bean bag toss.

posted on Feb, 13 2022 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Since when did Curling become THE Olympic event???

For the last 4 Olympics, it's been the event. That and sledding (bobsled) skeleton and snowboarding.

Honestly I put it on for background ambience this Olympics while reading here or in general.

But when not during the Olympics, I do watch Curling and Competitive Darts. Denmark and Norway.

I'm old and prefer a sporting event where beer is encouraged.

Off subject:
Haven't seen you around much. I hope you and yours are in good health. 👍🏼😊
edit on 13-2-2022 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2022 @ 09:45 PM
link   

It's probably a combination of both.
A snowboarding run takes two minutes.
Same for a figure skating routine or a bobsled run.

A curling match takes a lot longer and has a long tournament so there is so much more content.

It's still about as exciting as watching paint dry though ..lol

posted on Feb, 13 2022 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman

I wouldn't be surprised if Cornhole became an Olympic Sport.

posted on Feb, 13 2022 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I don't recall ever hearing about a country getting banned for "doping" in Curling. There's no hotties (women or men) in Curling. There's never been a scandal in Curling...to the best of my knowledge. And what if there was? What would it be? Someone stealing some other team's 40 lb. chunk of rock???

I haven't been watching it, but it does seem way overdue for a good scandal.

Maybe some sort of electronic device they could be using to send small bursts of something or other that manipulate the movement of the... the.... the thingy that moves?

posted on Feb, 13 2022 @ 10:03 PM
link   

It's always been one of the more broadcast sports that I can remember. Or I'm recalling growing up watching the Olympics on CBC from Windsor.

But there are also quite a few teams, and in the first round they all play each other once in a round robin. From there the top four move up to the semifinals, and then the finals. So basically just a lot of games get played, and it's typically more exciting than some of the other winter sports.

posted on Feb, 13 2022 @ 10:15 PM
link   
In some places of Canada curling Is THE sport. We construct signs in our small towns showing off famous curlers that come from there.

posted on Feb, 13 2022 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman

I wouldn't be surprised if Cornhole became an Olympic Sport.

Correction - Don't you mean "Cornholing"???

I can definitely see that sport in the not too distant future! Mens Cornholing, Womens Cornholing, Mixed Cornholing, Doubles Cornholing, Team Cornholing.

posted on Feb, 13 2022 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
In some places of Canada curling Is THE sport. We construct signs in our small towns showing off famous curlers that come from there.

Okay, well, Canadians eat Poutine too, so I get it! LOL!

🤣🤣

posted on Feb, 13 2022 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Probably because it's a game played by backyard fit Canadians so it looks like something any one of us could literally pick up and do overnight.

And curling has been the hotness for the last couple of Olympics at least.

posted on Feb, 14 2022 @ 12:32 AM
link   

I postulate that the rise in prominence of curling is inextricably linked with the absence of hockey.

As soon as I learned there would be no hockey again my minimal interest waned to zero.

Looooooove me some hockey.

posted on Feb, 14 2022 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMALLYETALLIAM

But there IS Hockey being played at these Olympics! (???) I've watched several games so far. US vs. Canada last night was a great game. What makes you think there's no Hockey?

posted on Feb, 14 2022 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Then I’ve been terribly misinformed!

Is it just that there’s hockey but with no NHL players?

posted on Feb, 14 2022 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMALLYETALLIAM

I hate to say it, but yeah I think you were misinformed by someone.

As I understand it, yes, but I'm not sure how Canada factors into this. The NHL were the ones who put a stop to it, not the Olympic committee, and I don't blame them. They basically said..."If you want to go take two months off and play in the Olympics then fine. Just don't plan on having a spot on the team when you come back." I get it. It's right in the middle of their main season, and you can't lose a player that long. Anyway, I'm not sure if the same rules apply to Canadian NHL players, because I was watching the USA vs. CAN game last night and I'm pretty sure I saw them talking about some of the CAN players being pros in the NHL.

Doesn't matter though, most of the guys on the USA team are from highly ranked college teams and they were playing as good, if not better than, NHL players. They were really going at it and mixing it up on the ice.

edit on 2/14/2022 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2022 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Oh cool I’ll tune in although we never get full games on our broadcasts and is very annoying.

I get it from the NHL’s perspective too due to a number of games in the season being postponed and them trying to catch up.

posted on Feb, 14 2022 @ 02:08 AM
link   

I think why people have turned to curling as a sport to watch is it’s fun.

Though mostly the dominating teams are mostly European.

I think this was a silent protest by broadcasters, that they are sick of China trying to dominate most winter sports, and having/forcing defectors from the west to play for them.

China weren’t the best at curling, si broadcasters knew this and put if in heavy rotation.

posted on Feb, 14 2022 @ 07:03 AM
link   

It's because it is played with a "Q".

<<   2 >>

join