It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of Many Projects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 07:39 AM
link   
We recently had our old wood-burning fireplace insert taken out and replaced with natural gas insert. That is what the wife wanted. That means I had to tear out the old mantel before the new insert was installed.

We asked the company that did the new insert how much to have a new mantel and surround installed. They said roughly around two grand. It was through a subcontractor. We already had a little over six grand stuck in the insert.

So I decided I would do some homework on YouTube, Pinterest, and wherever for this project. The Internet can be your friend. After replacing some sheetrock, stonework, and building the surround/mantel I came up with this. Happy wife, happy life.

My first fireplace project and my last I hope, as I am not a spring chicken anymore.

edit on 6-2-2022 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

That looks good! Here, the chimney man would tell you you have to put a glass or metal plate on top of everything that can burn and 2feet around the heat source distance. Imagine it for a second.

Very nice, did you lay the stones yourself or is it one of those cutable boards with the stones glued on?

Add: I ask because I looked at those plates and seek for review / opinion, not because I think it's cheap

edit on 6.2.2022 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Cut the stones and then glued them on. The old fireplace had the boarded brick.

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Ah thanks, how long did it take if I may ask? Did you do the "corner" stones cutting all in once or did you cut each individual?

Currently I have a Sweden Oven but may want to have one with stones around to lean on and sit at a warm place, dry food and bake.

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

I used the uncut stones for the inside by the fireplace and mostly cut ones on the outside. To make the outside look straight I put a lip around the inside of the surround so you cant see the outside edge of the stone.

edit on 6-2-2022 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 08:23 AM
link   

very nice work. You did well. Both on the project, and keeping the wife happy. Be careful, if you do another project for her within a few weeks, you will establish a pattern, and then be expected to follow that pattern. Space it out.
edit on 6-2-2022 by network dude because: went off while I was cleaning it.

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I did some things for myself out in the garage. Plus I bought some new tools.

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Yeah, it's the dragging horse you beat on to keep the carriage going, not the lazy ones.

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.
Happy wife, happy life.

My friend used to say that.....until he got the divorce and got his smile back.

Gimme wood any day, it heats you when you collect it, when you cut it, when you stack it and then, when you burn it.

Well done on doing the work yourself, you must be proud.

Does it have a remote control?

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: nerbot
I have been with her for 24 years, I'm thinking she would have eliminated me by now.
I was thinking I could change the switch out to a wifi switch and have Alexa be remote, or put a remote switch in.

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Get a nice thick fur rug instead of that walmart doormat.

Shagging infront of a fire is MANLY.

And if she says NO!

Cut the gas supply until she appreciates the caveman that can smash rocks.

UG!
edit on 6/2/2022 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I have been with her for 24 years, I'm thinking she would have eliminated me by now.
I was thinking I could change the switch out to a wifi switch and have Alexa be remote, or put a remote switch in.

Let's hope that's not what the gas was for eh? (sarcasm).

Here in France there has been a huge conversion to "pellet" woodburners that autofeed and have the convenience for many people in that they can just buy boxes of pellets off the shelf.

Can't beat a real good flame though and most pellet burners don't even have a window for that wonderful primordial satisfaction.

Your fire will look great at xmas with stockings hung over it.

Do you have any before photos or some of the work as you were doing it?

Regardless of my previous comments... KUDOS 2U for the D.I.Y.

Sidenote.. I am about to make a miniature woodburner (1/6 size) that has a bioethanol burner or tea-light candles so I can keep my mug of tea warm on top.
edit on 6/2/2022 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I did some things for myself out in the garage. Plus I bought some new tools.

good man. Find a reason that you will need that nice big table saw for the next project. If you have to do it, make it worth while.

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 08:48 AM
link   

This one has a blower on it to heat the room. When it gets below 0 here it helps take the chill out of the air. I do have pics of before but it will take some time to dig up and download.

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I added a before photo to the original post.

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Advice after 50 yrs of 3 marriages?

Never do a great job she'll go "wow!" Over. You'll be forever doomed to "project husband".

Screw up a little...the wife goes " Whats this here...why didn't you touch up...?"
😉🤞
It's a plan to hubby on the fringe of " doing a fantastic job".

Oops...sorry honey.......

*It goes without saying I always do a great job tearing out and drywalling etc... But I've learned when to go "Hmmm.? What's THIS for?
But 2 ex wives and current.....I've learned a few things!!
edit on 02223228America/ChicagoSun, 06 Feb 2022 09:17:32 -060017202200000032 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Oooh, beautiful! You did an awesome job!

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Thank you.

new topics

top topics

join