It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHORT STORY WRITERS CONTEST for February-March 2022 --TT2022-- Winners Announced

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I want to share a little story. I can't include it as a contest submission as it is not fiction, but you might find it interesting and it is on the subject (perse') and who knows perhaps it'll help spark up some of your creative juices.

This doesn't necessarily fall into your generally thought of 'Time Travel' scenario... more like a Time slowing down scenario, where I was traveling/moving and thinking faster than the accident I was a participant in.

Around 1980-(ish), my vehicle flipped over with me inside 7 times after being 'rear-end T-boned' by someone as I was making a left hand turn. He was probably doing 20-25mph and had been zipping by cars prior at a greater rate of speed, (or so say witnesses). By the time he got to me making a left hand turn, the conditions were just right to catch me and start the flipping and rolling.

Although I am told that my whole flipping scenario was probably no longer than 9-11 seconds in length, In my reality (no drugs/Alcohol/etc.) it was closer to a minute. Cans of corn slowly drifted past my head and I remember thinking that this was the coolest thing I had ever witnessed. It was like being a part of a special effect of cinematic magnitude.

My front window was rolled down and I was afraid of being thrown out as I was rolling over, so every time I saw pavement come into view I would thrust my arms out to it and keep myself inside. In fact I'd say that for 98% of the time (or my version of time) didn't matter, but my not getting thrown out of the car and run over was my main concern.

Irony is that during all this, traffic had all stopped (probably watching me) and my vehicle stopped exactly facing the opposite direction on all four tires and right next to the raised up sidewalk. It was if I had just pulled up and parked at that spot (in front of a car lot).

I had a small scratch on my forehead, it totaled out the hatchback. During all the rolling I ended up in the passenger seat. When the Police arrived they asked me where the driver was... I said; "Right here". I was being looked at by paramedics and they said they couldn't believe I got only a scratch.

I experienced this once more about 2015 where I was hit again by someone. It was like a light switch being flipped on and everything slowed waaaay down and I had that accelerated thought process again and was trying to figure what my next course of action would be to lessen the chances of both occupied vehicles getting seriously harmed.

Again... it doesn't fall into your run of the mill Time Travel Tale, but there it is. Now before you continue thinking about what your going to submit for us to read, please enjoy this silly pun below.

edit on 2/3/2022 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous

I can't include it as a contest submission as it is not fiction

Is that an actual condition for the short story contest?

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene

I can't include it as a contest submission as it is not fiction

Is that an actual condition for the short story contest?

Err.. YEAU..

It's mentioned twice in the opening rules...

(Second paragraph)
"Your Entry Has to be Original Fiction & posted in it's own thread HERE in the Short Stories forum"

(The second mention is listed under) "RULES OF ENTRY (are simple)"
* Entries must be original fiction. ATS members cannot be characters.

Johnny

edit on 2/3/2022 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Oh that explains alot

ETA

No it doesn't, this hasn't always been a condition...
edit on 3-2-2022 by Terpene because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 08:29 AM
link   
My entry in the contest - writer

We Don't Have Time for Time

Thanks for reading and good luck to all who enter!

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I can relate, you described it very good, the slowing down of time. Even sounds like cracking glass that are normally fast are slower. Like, you know for sure, situations like drop something tiny and you instantly alert and try to at least make out by hearing where it landed and extract extra information about the location. Like "that sounded like it impacted on wood/concrete (...) and before you can even look down you already have an idea "oh it must have bounced up against the workbench feet and then there was that metallic sound damn it fell into that box"

It's like our senses record much faster and therefor it is feeling dragged out because there is more input for the single event. Like the screw example. Just that a falling screw does not stress out like that so it does not kick in completely.

If you ever came to help in an accident, you know how much thoughts ran through your head and the accident side is still not approaching but you're running.

On topic, I might join this contest

edit on 4.2.2022 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Time for a shot at this.

Here

Cheers

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:59 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 12:05 AM
link   
So I don't know if you remember anything about John Titor but supposedly he came back from the future looking for an old IBM Computer. But here's someone that's got a plan and he want's you to accompany them (and paid also).

Now there's a Story just waiting to happen!

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a real time machine for me www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 01:59 AM
link   
So maybe you've heard of "Time Slips" or "History Crashing" where our time-line and one from the past collide for some moments. Like a vacationing British couple that went down a rural dirt road in England and pass by a rustic quaint Inn that looked like it was from the 1700's. They decided on the drive back they would stay the night there. But on the drive back, just several hours later, they could not find 'hide or hair' of any such Inn ever being there. Yet they both had witnessed the Inn, they had slowed the car down to get a better look. They even discussed the great photos they were going to get of the Inn.

Bewildered after their returning home from Holiday, they pursued this mystery for several weeks and after much research, they did find some historical records to back up that there was indeed an Inn in that locale from the 1700's.

There's actually quite a few report's that are similar to the above (many from Europe), but the United States and Canada both also have their own strangeness when Time and History seem to 'echo' into our current Time-frame.

Does that fall under the genre of Time Travel? I don't see why not. There's so many different realms you could explore with your story you want to write... so don't feel that your restricted to conventional "Time Travel" theories, you can expand to include your own theories or ideas.

...and with that said here's our next 'Doctor Who' pun.

edit on 2/7/2022 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 01:52 PM
link   
, a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous

The best time travel explanation I've heard is, when they stop the clock on a football game...

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I know, I know, I really like to break my own word, especially for the short story contest.

Time keepers

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 04:45 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

From Me(You), 2022

I hope you like it. It took a few lifetimes to write.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 11:27 PM
link   
OK ..... you creative time-meddling members need to hop through your time portal and let us read your story. I know some of you have already done so..... yet not posted them (currently) as you want to wait for 'time' to slip by.

While your thinking.. think of this below;

edit on 2/10/2022 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2022 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The muse hasn't spoken to me yet, but still some time.

A bit difficult for some posters like me, who use time-travel metaphors anyway as part of my "style" or satire.
I mean to come up with one good story.
It's challenging, or hard.

I'm thinking "thyme" rhymes with "time".

Also Bay leaves, not used here as intoxicants (they don't have those properties anyway) but as energy magic.
Well got a piece of coal (goes into Shisha pipes), and add some thyme.

(Ooh yeah now this "thyme incense" is going.
Actually got a bit of a kick there, but so do all mom's spices at the right hour, according to ceremonial magick.)
edit on 10-2-2022 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2022 @ 11:54 PM
link   
But halfoldman what's the point?

"A Shiver of Sharks. TT2022."

Man's apathy to man.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 11-2-2022 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2022 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Imagine going back to ancient Greece.
Sitting on the shore, I didn't notice anything.

And then approached two semi-clad men, and one said: "He's a stargayzer",

"No, he's not, he's a stone-sitter".
edit on 11-2-2022 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2022 @ 02:30 AM
link   
That T-Rex thing: some U-boats go under and surface in different places.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join