It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

bomb starting the b52 for rapid readiness

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
I am interested because I see parallels to turbochargers.

But maybe it's not a good idea to bomb start these.

Especially if the turbines are Chinese steel.

They aren't . Most were built before the 80s .
If they need something major now , they turn to "The Boneyard" .

That's a relief. I love our military men/women, want every one of them to die in battle, if they must. Not due to cheap Chinese steel.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
I am interested because I see parallels to turbochargers.

But maybe it's not a good idea to bomb start these.

Especially if the turbines are Chinese steel.

They aren't . Most were built before the 80s .
If they need something major now , they turn to "The Boneyard" .

That's a relief. I love our military men/women, want every one of them to die in battle, if they must. Not due to cheap Chinese steel.

Valid concern.

One I share regarding a few platforms.

Just having a little fun with the Buff's age at china's expense.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

1961 is the newest model of buff, and we already stripped the boneyard of most useable parts before 20 years of combat missions.

Its why the recently gave a contract out to start manufacturing parts for the Buff once more.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

1961 is the newest model of buff, and we already stripped the boneyard of most useable parts before 20 years of combat missions.

Its why the recently gave a contract out to start manufacturing parts for the Buff once more.

Still sad every time I think about all those beautiful beasts chopped into pieces.

But at least they helped keep the fleet operational for the past 30 years.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf
Shotgun shell you say....

I guess a blank one would do the trick... and probably send the exhaust side of the turbo down the piping towards the light...

Jokes aside, stuff like this is interesting. Shows how genius some ideas are, what the human brain can fabricobble is really amazing.

Thank you for chiming in!
edit on 20.1.2022 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

i used the word bomb for 'effect'

get it, lol

but yeah they are just like big Estes rocket turning the blades with out a jump truck

still cool

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 09:31 PM
link   

a true Klingon death

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Cart starts are fun as hell the first time you see one. We used to have a B-57 come through going to and from Australia for airshows. At least once he did a cart start and scared the hell out of everyone on the ramp that had never seen one. There was an extremely loud bang, and a huge cloud of smoke. Everyone that was near it jumped, and started looking for fire bottles or cover.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

what is the minimum amount of engines do you need running in say a true alert to get off the ground, i always assume all 8 being loaded down

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghostsdogood

originally posted by: Ghostsdogood

The father of SAC is smiling at this news.
In getting the BUFFs in the air , to Lemay , fast was never enough .

Lemay would have them strapped to Tesla rockets and standing by fully crewed on launch pads by now.

And still complain .
I remember .

He pushed defense contractors just as hard.

Still legendary.

And still lovingly referred to as "father" .

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: noscopebacon

You can, theoretically, get airborne with seven, but it's going to be a very interesting takeoff run. They've successfully landed a B-52 with four engines shut down on one wing, but getting airborne you need more power, especially with a heavy load out.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

not alot of wiggle room, and not alot of loooong runways that could help them get up and away safely

i like hoe the person who made the video touched on skybolt.

i cant imagine what it would look like if a whole crew had to punch out on a runway, seems like you would end up all tangled up in shoot lines

i have been hearing about a new type off troop carrier where I'm at, and i think at least one landed and was hangered where i was a few days ago.

did not sound like a normal jet or ospreys.

any water cooler talk of a new SF transport, they made us shut our lights off as well as everyone else on the runway and draw are shades, we just landed and were told to stay at the end of the runway

than all of a sudden the sound came down spun down and i didn't hear it take off so i assume it was hangered

edit on 20-1-2022 by noscopebacon because: clarification

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 10:22 PM
link   

No punching out in those things, you have to be above a certain altitude for everyone to get out.

Even then the seats are only designed to push the aircrew into the wind stream (for those ejecting up) then the wind takes them not, its not like a fighter egress.

If not above a certain height the nav and radar nav have a really bad day and will never experience a day again. (they eject down)
edit on 20-1-2022 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 10:37 PM
link   

am i thinking of another older bomber that ejected the crew that popped them out the bottom???

or i could be crazy

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Downwards ejection? I never knew other airplanes have ejecting seats I thought it would be only fighter jets with the glass canopy where it makes sense. I always thought the rest of the airplanes, all bail through a hatch. That there is some kind of stick or emergency autopilot that gives the pilot enough time to get up from the seat, grab that backpack and go sky diving.

But then I realize, in a situation like that the plane won't fly anyways like intended at the point of bailing, so my naive theory breaks apart just... now.

Keep such details coming please

Not into airplanes but tech. Any other special strange things you can share with the world? Like the SR71 being a leaking mess until up and warmed. Stuff that makes a normal person go like "wait what?".

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

one of the highspeed bomber when you punched out the seat would from around you a capsule so you don't get injured by the highspeed ejection

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

The B-1 that people swoon over because of the swept wing design had a huge issue, at speed the hydro is moving at the max allowed for the steel braided lines, so about every other one I launched it came back without most of their hydraulic fluid.

The buff has I want to say gas powered ejection seats, versus rockets in the fighters, so 4 ejected up 2 ejected down and if they had a crew chief on board they had to bail out and hope an antenna doesnt split you in half.

Awacs (707) there is no bailing out, boeing decided the only way to bail out safely was to fly straight and level, and if you can do that then you can land. they did have a bail out chute that was supposed to lower a shield to break the wind and you dropped straight down.

I was taught in 7 level school that if you are in a C-130 going down over water ride it in, bailing out without the right training had a higher mortality rate than riding it in.

Oh and the best air refueler we have was built in the 1950;s.
edit on 20-1-2022 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 10:56 PM
link   

i was in the USAF as para rescue and the scariest thing was during training getting out of a simulated capsized chopper in s pool, again upside down strapped in

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I did a few years as a Flight engineer, that test is why I chose fixed wing over helo.

Wasnt certain I could get out of it, only good thing from my time on awacs is I met my wife and we eventually had a son and its been 16 years of mostly happiness.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 11:05 PM
link   

i though i had the test in my pocket but and as soon as my face went under and we were upside down i wont say i panicked but i almost did.

i had to push the diver away a few times, believe it or not that was one of the first time i opened my eyes in a pool with out goggles

edit on 20-1-2022 by noscopebacon because: spelling

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join