It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can We Get The Thread View Count Back?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Since ATS is under the new management, I am asking for the old "views" feature to come back.
Most other forums have this. If I create a thread I don't judge it's success by just stars and flags but by the view count.
As a creator of thread I want to know if the thread was looked at 500 times or 5000 times, to gauge if these types of topics or worth creating in the future. Since ATS is totally driven by the content of it's threads and how interesting a read they are, it's a valuable tool to all the thread creators on ATS.
Thank you in advance for your consideration.

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33
Thread counts are false, can be manipulated...someone viewing hundreds of times to get the count.

Could be you clicking dozens of times every-day. Or friends..

Good luck here👍

edit on 01223331America/ChicagoFri, 07 Jan 2022 09:16:33 -060016202200000033 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Anybody got a screenshot of the "old" count system?

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 01:19 PM
link   

who cares, not trying to sound like a dick, but what does it matter?

if you think a topic is worth discussing isnt that enough? or do you only wish to discuss certain topics that satisfy some form of dopamine hit?

ooooh look at my view count, I must be popular, sounds more and more like any other braindead social media platform

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Eh, it's not a useful metric to me, but I can back it's return for the analytical types. It's just another gauge, a measurement, not unlike a flag is.

However, I can see automatic counts of views versus voluntary flag counts being more dependable measures of interest. I admit, I forget to flag. Damn near every thread, I forget the stupid thing is manual, not automatic. And thus is a flawed metric.

The previous guy turning it into a competitive wang-meaduring jealousy episode might want to consider that.

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 01:43 PM
link   
No view counts, this would cause backfire due to favorism topics

Oh look, there's more views on unvaxxed topic than vaxxed topic!

Oh look, there's more views on pedo topic than criminal topic!

Oh look, there's more views on Biden than Trump topic!

Just no.

XL5

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 04:36 PM
link   
In 2030: can we get user names next to posts back? ...no, it will just lead to people being singled out and favoritism.

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

When I first joined in 2010, it was apparently available on the member's own profile (which would have made it less public, and so less vulnerable to some of the criticisms that have been raised).
But the function had been disengaged even then, so that the figure was a permanent zero.

(Only one figure? My mental eye doesn't remember more than one.)

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I really surprised by the reactions to this, imagine if they took the video view count away on YouTube?

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 06:20 PM
link   

This is an interesting thing. In my case, I love statistics, but I find no real interest in thread views, as not knowing what it really works makes it worthless and another way of creating artificial divisions.

In another forum I frequent they have thread view counts, but I just ignore it.

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I know for a fact that my Rectum Thread exploded behind the scenes.

A view count would show this...

new topics

top topics

join