It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tony Blair- Knight of the Garter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2022 @ 03:29 AM
link   
www.aol.co.uk...

It will be interesting to see the reactions to this news.
Putting it in context, it used to be normal practice for retired Prime Ministers to be offered a peerage. Even Attlee and Wilson accepted one. So this honour is not unusual, historically.

The Order of the Garter is the top grade in British honours below the peerage. The number is strictly limited. The Duke of Wellington remarked that he approved of the Garter because there was "no damn merit about it". That might console people who don't like Tony Blair.

The Order was founded by Edward III. The legendary story is that a lady's garter fell down at a ball, and he resstored it, remarking "Honi soit qui mal y pense." This is translated by Sellars and Yeatman as "Honey, your stocking's fallen down", and by everybody else as "Evil be to him who thinks evil of it."
edit on 1-1-2022 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2022 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI
Just for clarification, am I correct in saying the 'Queen's' New Years honours list is actually drawn up by politicians/civil service etc. It's her Birthday Honours list that is drawn up by the Queen with help from her personal advisors?
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 1 2022 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel
You may be right- I haven't gone into it.
The news story clarifies by pointing out that this announcement was not part of the main New Years list- just made at the same time. However, my guess is that the Garter is another of the things that the Queen gives "on advice".

posted on Jan, 1 2022 @ 05:51 AM
link   

At least he wasn't sent to the Lords I suppose , Lord Blair would have been too much to take and would have given him access to the leavers of power again .... perish the thought.
I'm comfortable with his being awarded the Order of the Garter as Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall was also awarded it this year which shows how devalued that particular Order has become.

posted on Jan, 1 2022 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Most undeserved knighthood in history.

An evil souless mass murderer who along with GW Bush set the middle east on fire over lies and faked intelligence.
His love of death matched only by his obesession with kick starting the surveillance society we have all grown to hate.

Giving him a knighthood is akin to giving Fred West a medal for his services to women.

Not much else I can say here without getting banned and put on a list.

posted on Jan, 1 2022 @ 07:02 AM
link   
A wolf in sheep's clothing, he deserves jail.

posted on Jan, 1 2022 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall was awarded this year and she deserved it, she is a hardworking lady and doesn't let hate bother her, which is admirable.

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Smigg

Oh how true.

Weren't we all taken in by 'Bambi'.

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley

originally posted by: Smigg

Oh how true.

Weren't we all taken in by 'Bambi'.

Yes we were, I actually voted for him, strangely though I'd imagine horns growing out of his forehead when ever I saw him on TV, I should have listened to myself but I was younger then.

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 05:39 AM
link   

When I saw this story announced online yesterday afternoon it referenced a petition to revoke Blair's award having 10,000 signatures. Overnight that's gone up to 167,000 and is continuing to rise.

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 05:40 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley
The "Bambi" name came from a Conservative poster, didn't it? And it had to be withdrawn because people found it offensive and "unfair". Some people had sharper eyes than others.

edit on 2-1-2022 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I didn't know. Interesting.

I remember it was his nickname as an MP, that's all.

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

An evil souless mass murderer who along with GW Bush set the middle east on fire over lies and faked intelligence.

And, overseeing a frenzied mass immigration programme between 2000 and 2008, exposed us all to terrorist attacks.

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Glad to see there is a petition to sign:
www.change.org...

Although some media outlets have mentioned the petition has over one hundred thousand signatures,the link only claims 18 000 signatures so far.

But that is good as it already puts this petition among the most signed for on that site.

If they get 50 000,they are delivering the petition to WIndsor castle.

SO-if you hate corruption,narcissism and evil-You know what to do.

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

A 'Thatcher and Blair' is Cockney rhyming slang for 'a matching pair'.

For example, 'Sociopath and Psychopath' would be 'A Thatcher and Blair'.

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley
I remember a drawing of the traditional Bambi image with evil-looking eyes, with the questioning title "Bambi?" Though it's possible, on reconsideration, that the artist was picking up on a nickname which already existed.

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Many an unsavoury character has been given a Knighthood, quite a few far more undeserving than even Bliar.

And many have even been 'elevated' to The Lords.

Just another example of what is both corrupt and morally wrong with our 'honours' system.

No-one seems to have batted an eyelid at major Tory donor being given a Knighthood in the same honours list.
Given what this government has got away with - and continues to get away with - its hardly surprising is it?

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 11:42 AM
link   
A petition calling for Blair's Knighthood to be revoked has so far received 600,000 signatures , the petition on change.org is steadily closing in on that 50,000 mark.

Poor Tony.

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said Sir Tony had "earned" a knighthood.
www.bbc.co.uk...

I think Starmer confused "knighthood" with "a few years in prison" ....

ETA
Signed the change.org petition.
edit on 4-1-2022 by gortex because: edit to add

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The British public certainly does seem to hold a particular dislike for Bliar.

I wonder how many people would have voted for barring Thatcher from whatever titles she received; there's still large areas of this country where its impossible to mention her name without stirring real and genuine anger.

I have no liking for our 'honours' system.....but that aside I can't really think of any politicians in my lifetime that really deserved any sort of recognition, quite the opposite.

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

The British public certainly does seem to hold a particular dislike for Bliar.

Can't speak for anyone else but from a promising start as PM he turned into a lying enabler of war and is to my mind complicit in the death of hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians , my feelings about the man run deeper than dislike.

Perhaps if 9/11 hadn't happened things would have been different and he'd have been a decent PM but fate didn't deal him that hand and it's his reactions to the hand dealt he must be judged on.
edit on 4-1-2022 by gortex because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join