It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When gen z write a movie review and have no clue on its relevance.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: ConcernedCanadian

It might be because of its enduring status as a cult classic. I'm not sure that Yentl has that. It would be like possibly putting The Rocky Horror Picture Show in there. It wouldn't be because it's great cinema. God knows it's the last thing you would call great cinema, but it has spawned its own cultural phenomena that cannot really be ignored.

Yentyl has an oscar or two to help ease it's box office pain. A better musical and beautifully acted. Not enough car crashes for you?

posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I did not cast any aspersions on the merits of Yentl as a film. What I was saying is that Blues Brothers might be getting preservation status because of its ability to spawn a cult phenomena.

I understand you seem to not be able to understand such things as being deserving of merit, but for some of us, art encompasses more than just technical merit which has its own sort of worth.

posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I did not cast any aspersions on the merits of Yentl as a film. What I was saying is that Blues Brothers might be getting preservation status because of its ability to spawn a cult phenomena.

I understand you seem to not be able to understand such things as being deserving of merit, but for some of us, art encompasses more than just technical merit which has its own sort of worth.

I liked t better with burt reynolds and sally field than the weren't ready for the big screen either comics. From an artistic standpoint. Also, number 2 at the box office and spawned 6 sequels. Blues Brothers wasn't popular then or now.

posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Just in case you forgot what cult classic is. It does not mean popular with everyone, but it is also popular enough that references to the movie endure in much of today's pop culture which is, again, likely why they are preserving it.

As wonderful as Yentl is, how much of it is referenced today in pop culture?

posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Just in case you forgot what cult classic is. It does not mean popular with everyone, but it is also popular enough that references to the movie endure in much of today's pop culture which is, again, likely why they are preserving it.

As wonderful as Yentl is, how much of it is referenced today in pop culture?

It has it a small cult of fans among high school drop outs and domestic abusers. There's no denying it's 'limited' appeal. I gave iit a good review on a film review blog earlier this month. I don't hate it. Goodman gave better belushi tho in 2000 even when he was high as a kite. The sequel was a vast improvement and a much better musical.

As for the yentl soundtrack didn't streisand croon a medley to hilary clinton? It was some huge political fundraising fairwell tour.
edit on 13-12-2021 by ConcernedCanadian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Their was me thinking it was a great movie using music to bring cultures together, it was one of the most cross cultural multicultural movies back in my day

It said you don’t have to be black to like blues/rhythm & blues, it doesn’t need to be stereotyped, cultural participation

It said here are two white men playing a stereotypical black music/band so white folks could open up musically & culturally to something perceived not culturally appropriate

Just like Rap music become more gradually a multicultural music scene

Because just like their own parents maybe grew up listening to soul & funk, there children knew I can like multicultural genres of music too, and this over decades encouraged and aided social cohesion and integration

IT WAS A FILM FOR EVERYBODY

To say it smacks of white supremacy BECAUSE it has two white male strait leads, is all you need to know about the extremely dangerous & sinister intentions of the communist far left, whom by the way are being puppeteer’d by their capitalist elitist overloads

And that’s because global financial collapse is imminent, and they want you fighting everybody and anybody when it does slide into the hunger games

top topics

<< 1   >>

join