It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TTS2022 - The Defense - Non-writer

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 05:59 AM
link   
The King closed the door to his keep and crunched through the icy mud of the castle bailey towards the main gate. Scrambling up the frosted wooden stairs to the battlements above the barbican, he stood sweating in his great bearskin coat, trumpeting plumes of condensed hot breath ahead of him.

“The archers! Where are the archers?” he bellowed.
The Captain bowed, cold and exhausted, but respectfully. “Sire, but these are all we have. Our army is to the east with...”
“I know where my army is!” the King interjected sharply, “Get more archers. Fill these walls!”
“Yes, your Majesty”, knowing there were no archers, and even if there were, there were no bows to arm them. The Captain shouted orders to his men and made himself look busy while the King made his way back down the glistening steps. Before descending he glanced briefly out onto the plain outside the walls, grunting before making his way back to his hearth where his breakfast was cooking.

The Captain had already placed all the archers he had above the great door of the barbican, mostly boy recruits and men who were archers by name only – too old or too weak to battle with a sword. On the wall flanking the Great Gate were two simmering iron cauldrons; one of water mixed with honey and the other of oil and butter, ready to be poured onto the heads of the enemy. Children wrapped in heavy blankets manned piles of rocks, rubble and iron slag from the forge. Each huddled over their hoard, carefully tending it and nervously peeping over the ramparts. Below on the lower bailey behind the gate stood 120 men, all reservists or walking wounded pulled from the infirmary. This was our army.

Across the river in the distance, the snow-white fields and pastures were filled with the rank and file black dots of several battalions and their war machines. The lung-burning cold air of the cloudless sky belied the beautiful yellowy-blue dawn, casting long shadows before each menacing black dot making each seem 20 feet tall. As the captain watched both in despair and in awe, they began their march toward him.

The END

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Well done sir

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TerraLiga

That was an interesting adventure you pinned... makes me wonder what the outcome was?

Welcome to the Contest and Good Luck!
Johnny

(post by MessiahBuddhaBooks removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Is it bad their defences made me hungry? That captain is going to run the first chance he gets, though. 🤣

Good entry!

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyAnonymous

That was an interesting adventure you pinned... makes me wonder what the outcome was?

Welcome to the Contest and Good Luck!
Johnny

Thank you! I've no idea what the result of the battle is - that is up to the reader's imagination. It could be an utter whitewash, ending the reign of the King's family line for generations. It could involve magic blessed by a sentimental sacrifice of the King's wife or first-born son. Or maybe the Captain has engineered the inevitable defeat all along in return for a plot of land and an Earldom. Who knows...

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: oddscreenname

Is it bad their defences made me hungry? That captain is going to run the first chance he gets, though. 🤣

Good entry!

Haha! If it helps, the King had 3 sausages, 3 eggs, shredded potato and leek hashes, a pile of fried mushrooms, toast dripping with butter and jam, and a whole pot of tea.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 01:16 PM
link   

he stood sweating in his great bearskin coat, trumpeting plumes of condensed hot breath ahead of him.

I like this bit , Made me feel like I was there.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Very nice!

new topics

top topics

join