It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Nuclear Sub Off Coast of China Crashes and a Month Later...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2021 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Last month it was reported that a US Nuclear sub ran into an underwater Chinese mountain. I'm jesting it's the latest island the Chinese are building. But anyways here's the thread on that:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Today there's news about a lady who falsified the strength of submarine hull strength.

Thomas indicated that in some instances she altered the tests to passing results because she believed it was "stupid" that the Navy required the tests to be executed at negative-100 degrees Fahrenheit.

Woman pleads guilty after decades of doctoring test results regarding steel utilized to make Navy submarines
www.theblaze.com...

Things that make you go hmmmmmm...

I wonder what the CCP thinks about this development.

posted on Nov, 8 2021 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Wonder if they will require all subs in dry dock for testing now ?
I will be honest I have had a bad taste in my mouth ever since M-16s getting troops killed due to piss poor training manuals to very expensive air to air missiles that worked maybe 50% of the time. Besides all that everything America needs from the MIC seems to cost 3x+ more than it would cost any other country. America the great information service country that has way to much of their strategic assets made by someone else and what is made in America cost a fortune. The Ops posting is just one more story to put someone in a dark mood and lose faith in the idiots in charge..

posted on Nov, 8 2021 @ 11:41 PM
link   
This is the same kind of lab science that first created highly contagious strains of novel coronaviruses, and then turned around and created a shot to fix their Faucki Up.

When we have lab scientists, working on radioactive class submersible missile silos, that for decades simply tested the material to transport Fukishima around the globe along the lines of what was stupid and simply easier to do, we are in trouble.

At some earlier point she likely failed a sheet of steel, and the blow back from the bureaucratic fall out had her working overtime and weekends on testing steel. So from then on, it's so stupid they test at temperatures that can be found a mile under artic ocean waters, it's just easier to pass it and get home for Jeopardy.

That same bureaucracy just injected over half the free world with experimental chemicals.

Thank God the popcorn is tasty, even if a little stale.

Let's Go Brandon, you got this. 😏

edit on 8-11-2021 by GenerationGap because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2021 @ 11:51 PM
link   
But yeah, a sub capable of radioactive spillage crashed off of China.

China is upset at our lack of transparency and fears "their" waters could have been contaminated.

abcnews.go.com...

The US responds to Chinese inquiry with, "We won't provide proof we didn't just dump radioactive material in the South China Sea, but we will tell you that for decades we've been unknowingly making the hull materials out of Reynolds Aluminum kitchen wrap."

posted on Nov, 8 2021 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Knowing our government, she probably was never told the steel she was testing was for nuclear submarine use. If she had known, she likely would have asked for a raise and done a better job.

Stupidity through security is as bad as security through obscurity; both end badly for everyone everytime.

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Gotta agree with lab lady. The -100F test parameter is stupid. Any water that cold would be solid ice.

Coldest sea water is around 28F.
50/50 water/ethylene glycol is good to -34F.
Coldest supercooled water experiment was -44F.
Liquid oxygen is -297F.

There's no place on Earth that a sub would encounter those temps.

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Foundryman
Gotta agree with lab lady. The -100F test parameter is stupid. Any water that cold would be solid ice.

Liquid oxygen is -297F.

Just "blue-skying" here:

Subs nicknamed "The Silent Service".

Propellers can be the loudest part of the sub (next to active sonar, which is a way for a sub to shout "Here I Am!".

Remember the "worm drive" employed by thr Russian "Red October" sub in "The Hunt for Red October"?; magnetohydrodynamic propulsion employing superconducting magnets.

-100F seems a reasonable requirement for materials that might support such a propulsion system, no?

Loose lips sink ships.

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: GenerationGap

yep,.....
graded on a curve, instead of merit..

wait till they work at Three Mile Island, or Chernobyl, Fukushima..
thats our future

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Plot twist.

she was testing spaceship hulls

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I don’t know why they are testing to that temperature, but shame on her for not just writing down the proper results. There are reasons for these extreme tests and it’s because those materials will be put to the ultimate test.

The USS Thresher is a good reminder to any submariner why these tests are important and we do our own QA as well because our own lives are at stake.

The Submarine Safety Program (SUBSAFE), is a quality assurance program of the United States Navy designed to maintain the safety of its submarine fleet; specifically, to provide maximum reasonable assurance that submarine hulls will stay watertight, and that they can recover from unanticipated flooding. SUBSAFE covers all systems exposed to sea pressure or critical to flooding recovery.

All work done and all materials used on those systems are tightly controlled to ensure the material used in their assembly as well as the methods of assembly, maintenance, and testing are correct. They require certification with traceable quality evidence which track the item from the point of manufacture (including all records of the creation of the product, i.e. source materials as well as smelting and hardening process for metals) to the point of installation within a SUBSAFE boundary. These measures increase the cost of submarine construction and maintenance.

edit on 9-11-2021 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Liquid oxygen is -297F.

Have you ever seen ice fall off the side of a rocket as it lifts off of Cape Canaveral?

All of those gasses and pressures create a super cooled environment, and that's the exact kind of environment these submarines must operate in because they are launching rockets, and things get super cooled and super heated fast. How steel contracts and expands under such conditions must be predictable and tested, else radioactive accidents can happen. But I'm sure the both of you thought of the physics of such things when you decided for the Navy that it was dumb to test materials in such crazy conditions as a submergered incontinental ballistic missile launch. 😏

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Liquid oxygen is -297F.

What about air temps in Arctic environments? The sail and upper hull could potentially experience temperatures that low, especially with wind.

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 08:05 AM
link   

The b-tch should get a life sentence because she played with the lives of every man aboard those submarines.

Inexcusable.

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 08:27 AM
link   
The thing with this is that the company that built the subs or supplied the metals actually benefited the most and they never got charged. She is being set up to take the fall for a much broader problem. She probably was BSed to believe that the problem was not really a problem, that it was the way it is and that the regulations were wrong. She is the scapegoat

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Hopefully strict manufacturing processes were followed with the quality control being a formality, and no bad runs slipped through.

But…

Hairline Cracks Are Found in Seawolf Submarine
Aug. 2, 1991

www.nytimes.com...

Oh

TAINTED WIRE IS BLAMED FOR CRACKS IN SUB

www.courant.com...

But…

Hull Cracks Found On USS Toledo (SSN 769)
From this Navy Times story:
Crew members last Friday discovered a 21-inch crack in the topside hull, as well as a corresponding one-inch crack in the pressure hull that would have leaked water if the ship was submerged, the spokesman said.
“The submarine was pierside in New London,” said Lt. Patrick Evans, spokesman for Submarine Group 2. “The Navy is conducting additional tests to determine the extent of the crack and the proper procedures to repair it.”
The width and location of the crack were not yet available.
“After a cause is determined, other submarines will conduct similar inspections,” he said.
Because of the one-inch crack in the pressure hull, “water would have entered Toledo if submerged,” Evans said.

bubbleheads.blogspot.com...

edit on 9-11-2021 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Hopefully strict manufacturing processes was followed with the quality control being a formality, and no bad runs slipped through.

But…

Hairline Cracks Are Found in Seawolf Submarine
Aug. 2, 1991

www.nytimes.com...

Oh

TAINTED WIRE IS BLAMED FOR CRACKS IN SUB

www.courant.com...

But…

Hull Cracks Found On USS Toledo (SSN 769)
From this Navy Times story:
Crew members last Friday discovered a 21-inch crack in the topside hull, as well as a corresponding one-inch crack in the pressure hull that would have leaked water if the ship was submerged, the spokesman said.
“The submarine was pierside in New London,” said Lt. Patrick Evans, spokesman for Submarine Group 2. “The Navy is conducting additional tests to determine the extent of the crack and the proper procedures to repair it.”
The width and location of the crack were not yet available.
“After a cause is determined, other submarines will conduct similar inspections,” he said.
Because of the one-inch crack in the pressure hull, “water would have entered Toledo if submerged,” Evans said.

bubbleheads.blogspot.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky
Often it costs 3 times more cause it has 3xs better software. Other countries ussually get the c and d versions not the A.

Like Jets software and some hardware differ.

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 09:50 AM
link   
If I am being paid to look at the steel at -100 F that is what I am going to do. I am not sure why they needed -100 F. The temperatures I thought were just about freezing under the ice sheet at 4 degrees Celsius which is 39 F. Perhaps, If they come up out of the water in the Arctic or Antarctic you might measure temps around -100 F. Otherwise I would want to know how much heat it could take say from someone trying to use a torch underwater, or an explosive device of course.

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Ummm...hasn't anyone seen subs punching up through the ice in the Arctic? The Arctic, where temps can easily get down into the minus -60 to -70 (or more) range. I'm pretty sure I'd want my sub to be able to withstand a little underwater pressure after spending a little quality surface time up on the surface in someplace with large sheets of ice.

Wouldn't you???

ETA - I guess I should have read the post directly above mine before posting! Sorry for the kinda-duplicate.
edit on 11/9/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2021 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Looks like the sub was "good enough for government work", as the saying goes.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join