It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher anyone?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 10:08 PM
link   
When I look back at Bill I remember a comedian and very liberal political commentator. I liked some of his stuff now and then, but typically not so much. During Trump he was OMB to the extreme and still hates the guy, but lately I been agreeing with him about 70% of the time. Does this mean I or he has changed or does it mean the left has gone so far left that even Bill is looking Conservative.

This should hit most people hard at a very profound level of just what the hell is going on with the liberals in America. Here are some very un-liberal points he has made, or is it more that he is still liberal, but many liberal are no longer liberal.... Here is a few but he has many more.

edit on 21-8-2021 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I listen to a lot of stand up.
Most of them are left leaning, but almost all of them will echo what the MSM says because they don't get paid if they get deplatformed.
Don't bite that hand that feeds... Even if it's funny.
a reply to: Xtrozero

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
I listen to a lot of stand up.
Most of them are left leaning, but almost all of them will echo what the MSM says because they don't get paid if they get deplatformed.
Don't bite that hand that feeds... Even if it's funny.

Seems Bill is not doing that... Funny that you suggest stand-up that it seems you gat canx if you stray off the path, BUT isn't stand-up that one median that is suppose to drift off the path?

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Comedy, true comedy, isn't allowed anymore. The reason it's funny is because it strays into uncomfortable territory. That's why South Park has been so hilarious - they lampoon everyone and everything in the least safe way possible.

It's when people lose the ability to laugh at themselves that they start going after comedy.

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 10:19 PM
link   
His fundamentals haven't changed, it's the situations that have changed that he is now reacting too. I am in a similar situation. And can relate to his overall rhetoric.
And, it's rather alarming. Especially since I am now apparently a far right anti vaxer conservative among a lot of the people I know. Even tho I have held up the values of liberalism and true left people power for a while now.

This whole epoch we are going through socially reminds of the days when nu - Atheism was running rampant and people just completely forgot what atheism was truly about.

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Comedy, true comedy, isn't allowed anymore. The reason it's funny is because it strays into uncomfortable territory. That's why South Park has been so hilarious - they lampoon everyone and everything in the least safe way possible.

It's when people lose the ability to laugh at themselves that they start going after comedy.

Comedy was the one place where rules didn't exist.. You could tell someone they are fat, Black, White, gay and dig into the unspoken side of all these areas and it is, was... funny.

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Comedy was the one place where rules didn't exist.. You could tell someone they are fat, Black, White, gay and dig into the unspoken side of all these areas and it is, was... funny.

It is ... until someone decide to show how virtuous they are by being offended.

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
His fundamentals haven't changed, it's the situations that have changed that he is now reacting too. I am in a similar situation. And can relate to his overall rhetoric.
And, it's rather alarming. Especially since I am now apparently a far right anti vaxer conservative among a lot of the people I know. Even tho I have held up the values of liberalism and true left people power for a while now.

This whole epoch we are going through socially reminds of the days when nu - Atheism was running rampant and people just completely forgot what atheism was truly about.

This just tells you how F'ed up the left has become in so many ways... I lean very Libertarianism, but found myself defending Trump for 4 years even though I didn't vote for him the first time...lol

I have said in the past the a moderate liberal is now a far right conservative though their values have not changed...I have view Bill rather far left in his ideology, but boy he looks more and more on my side every day...lol

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 10:34 PM
link   

There have been a few things I've always agreed with Maher on, and I'm reasonably conservative.

For example, where the left just instinctively wants to love Islam to pieces because they typically hate Christians and Christianity, Maher hates religion in general and sees Islam (and many of its practitioners) for what it is.

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Canx culture is like a drug today...easy peasy way to take anyone out...well until you get canx... Cuomo and Newsom anyone??? Golden childs of the left not too long ago...

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Canx culture is like a drug today...easy peasy way to take anyone out...well until you get canx... Cuomo and Newsom anyone??? Golden childs of the left not too long ago...

There's a verse about that stuff in the Bible. Something about removing the plank in your eye or something like that.

It's wise. Don't criticize others unless you're perfect, and cancel culture and the current trend is basically a bunch of people looking to pull down everyone they think is better than they are. But it's easy to find flaws and destroy. It's much, much harder to build and succeed.

When they pull everything and everyone down, who'll remember how to put anything at all back in place of all the rubble?

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 10:51 PM
link   

At this point, reason, logic, and critical thinking towards this obscure conformity will unite a lot of people.
Can I be as bold as to say, perhaps we are currently in the infant stages of a renaissance of sorts?

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Does this mean I or he has changed or does it mean the left has gone so far left that even Bill is looking Conservative.

It means that it has reached such extreme partisan level, that if the world were flat, the far left and right both would have walked themselves off the edge already.

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 10:59 PM
link   
He is a white strait man of much privilege; nothing more than self preservation could make him distance himself from the current liberal mindset. That in of itself doesn't prove that the the current liberal mindset is wrong.
edit on 21-8-2021 by dandandat2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: dandandat2
He is a white strait man of much privilege; nothing more than self preservation could make him distance himself from the current liberal mindset. That in of itself doesn't prove that the the current liberal mindset is wrong.

Your CRT is showing.

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 11:25 PM
link   

It's wise. Don't criticize others unless you're perfect, and cancel culture and the current trend is basically a bunch of people looking to pull down everyone they think is better than they are. But it's easy to find flaws and destroy. It's much, much harder to build and succeed.

When they pull everything and everyone down, who'll remember how to put anything at all back in place of all the rubble?

I think it is deeper than that. These are people who can not hold a single coherent thought. They have these big ideals, but can not debate past surface headlines level of information, and so they fall back to attacking instead of actually having a logical discussion. Go up to a protester and actually try and have a discussion on what they are spending so much time on and they can't even get past 1 minute before they are frustrated and fall back into their wall of defense that is just labeling, canx culture etc.

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

At this point, reason, logic, and critical thinking towards this obscure conformity will unite a lot of people.
Can I be as bold as to say, perhaps we are currently in the infant stages of a renaissance of sorts?

Funny you say that for I have coined my own gender... Renaissance Male

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 11:29 PM
link   

But listen to him for 1 minute and tell me he isn't right...lol Also what you are saying actually makes zero sense. If he was into self preservation then he would toe the line like all the good little liberals do.

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I honestly think he spoke a lot of hyperbole for many years to make his points, now he’s gotten his way and is seeing the error in his thinking when carried out to the ridiculous degrees our society has taken them. He never thought it would get this bad.

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Your CRT is showing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join