It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBD Inhibits SARS-CoV-2 Replication and Promotes the Host Innate Immune Response

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Everyone's always saying trust the science, well here's some science for ya.

Not much to say here, like with many other things now, Canninidiol(CBD) a compound produced by the cannabis plant known for its anti-inflammatory and other health benifits has been found to inhibit the viral gene expression of SARS-Cov2 and potentially block the replication of SARS-cov-2 in epithelial cells.

Basically, toke up, because CBD, and its active metabolite, 7-OH-CBD, as potential preventative agents and therapeutic treatments for SARS-CoV-2 at early stages of infection, according to science.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

The rapid spread of COVID-19 underscores the need for new treatments. Here we report that cannabidiol (CBD), a compound produced by the cannabis plant, inhibits SARS-CoV-2 infection. CBD and its metabolite, 7-OH-CBD, but not congeneric cannabinoids, potently block SARS-CoV-2 replication in lung epithelial cells. CBD acts after cellular infection, inhibiting viral gene expression and reversing many effects of SARS-CoV-2 on host gene transcription. CBD induces interferon expression and up-regulates its antiviral signaling pathway. A cohort of human patients previously taking CBD had significantly lower SARSCoV-2 infection incidence of up to an order of magnitude relative to matched pairs or the general population. This study highlights CBD, and its active metabolite, 7-OH-CBD, as potential preventative agents and therapeutic treatments for SARS-CoV-2 at early stages of infection.

Summary sentence:

Cannabidiol from the cannabis plant has potential to prevent and inhibit SARS-CoV-2 infection

edit on 9/8/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Finally, some COVID news I can use. a reply to: dug88

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Leave it to nature to find the way to the best treatments and cures for all, I am arming myself with all I need to survive the killer covid coming soon to the US when the seasonal flu starts in a month or two.

Those darn boosters needs to be ready by then, I will take a cup of tea instead.

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Cannabidiol is present in CBD oil from the Hemp plant too, no high is necessary to be protected from this virus. I have some capsules for my epilepsy, it is kind of pricey, but it does have a mellowing effect for my epilepsy. I don't want to get high on pot anymore, I gave that up thirty five or more years ago. It isn't nearly as fun anymore now that it is legal in Michigan anyway, half the fun of it was doing something naughty.

THC does have some medical benefits, but this is about cannabidiol which is present in both pot and hemp. To a small extent cannabidiol or cannabidiol like chemicals are in other plants too. To control my epilepsy I use some of these veggies and they help quite a bit, especially cabbage and carrots. There are other chemistries that help my epilepsy, and from trial and error, I have identified which to put in my soups. Most things that are anti-epileptic are also anticancer and antiviral for some strange reason. montanabiotech.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:22 PM
link   

There was an Israeli bio firm working on a treatment for the cytokain storm reaction too...they found that a blend of CBD and specific terpenies worked better than the drug currently used. I know they were still tinkering with it a few months back but it sounded promising.

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:25 PM
link   

This is great news.

Basically, toke up,

You can also drink up, because it exists in hops, maybe. Which is great because I don't toke, I do however make all grain beer and I've got plenty of green.

Hoppy Hop McHopface

edit on 9 8 2021 by myselfaswell because: nunya

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Basically, toke up,

Perhaps you should read your sources.

The purity of CBD and, in particular, the composition of the materials labelled as CBD are also important, especially in light of our findings suggesting that other cannabinoids such as THC might act to counter CBD antiviral efficacy. This essentially eliminates the feasibility of marijuana serving as an effective source of antiviral CBD, in addition to issues related to its legal status. Finally, other means of CBD administration such as vaping and smoking raise concerns about potential lung damage.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

edit on 8/9/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Toke up was an exaggeration, . CBD isolates are a thing though. Also, high CBD, low to very low THC strains like Charlotte's web.

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

news.green-flower.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Swell, but toking up has nothing to do with your topic.

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Mother Nature provides for her rotten children!!

And right on que, Phage-the-Party-Pooper chimes in!!!

edit on 9-8-2021 by UnRepentantHarlequin because: Ugh

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Why do you always have to say such ignorant # while knowing nothing about the subject about which you speak?

greatist.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:32 PM
link   

From the study:

Finally, other means of CBD administration such as vaping and smoking raise concerns about potential lung damage.

The inactive carriers have a significant impact on clinically obtainable concentrations. As CBD is widely sold as a preparation in an edible oil, we analyzed flavored commercial hemp oils and found a CBD content of only 0.30% in a representative sample (fig. S12).

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:34 PM
link   

OK...and that means the CBD is not administered this way?

Lots of things cause lung damage. Standing next to a busy highway breathing exhaust fumes causes lung damage. Your point?

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:38 PM
link   

My point is that this was an in vitro study. My point is that as yet there is no known method of effectively and safely using what may be a useful tool.

My point is that I read the study.

We advocate carefully designed placebo-controlled clinical trials with known concentrations and highly-characterized formulations in order to define CBD’s role in preventing and treating early SARS-CoV-2 infection. The necessary human in vivo concentration and optimal route and formulation remain to be defined. We strongly caution against the urge to take CBD in presently available formulations as a preventative or treatment therapy at this time, especially without the knowledge of a rigorous randomized clinical trial with this natural product (23).

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Fair point, could have said that originally. In response to this, I point out, cannabis has been used for thousands of years without causing death, mRNA vaccines have not. I'm willing to go with the cannabis at this point personally over the J&J, Pfizer and Moderna jab cocktail special myself.

One of those things has thousands of years of history of no deaths behind it, the others do not.

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Lol analyzed hemp oil. Okie doki.
Any licensed dispensary has readily available very high concentration cbd oils and pills and extracts going up to the mid teen in purity percent.

I haven’t been a user in year but your article isn’t being all the way honest with cbd.

It’s readily prescribed even to children.....

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

It's not my article, it's the source of the OP.

But I'll admit I'm skeptical when it comes to curealls.

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

From the study:

Finally, other means of CBD administration such as vaping and smoking raise concerns about potential lung damage.

Oh noes. Put the vape down guys, go outside and take a nice clean breath of fresh carbon monoxide.

The inactive carriers have a significant impact on clinically obtainable concentrations. As CBD is widely sold as a preparation in an edible oil, we analyzed flavored commercial hemp oils and found a CBD content of only 0.30% in a representative sample (fig. S12).

Good thing that study invalidates the countless people who do partake in CBD high/THC low smokable herb.

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 12:30 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 10 2021 @ 12:31 AM
link   
thats funny, cause if i did get covid in december of 2019 i smoked spliffs the whole time getting through it. Which only lasted 3 days.

haven't been sick since.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join