It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vampyr , that game you didn't play but probably really should

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Vampyr is a third person action RPG game with the emphasis firmly on RPG , the game puts the player into the shoes of a recently infected Vampire in 1918 London ravaged by both the war and Spanish flu , playing as Dr Reed it's your job to find out who infected you and cure the Spanish Flu.

Vampyre released in 2018 and as a fan of Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines it was on my list of "when it's on sale" games , last week it was on sale so I jumped in , after 14 hours played I can say the developers have created a great game that's full of atmosphere which also shares similarities with Vampire: The Masquerade.

You can Embrace (drink the blood) of any NPC in the game which will deliver a big XP boost but doing so kills the victim and bad stuff can happen in the effected district , other abilities are unlocked through skill trees so the incentive is there to get the XP from NPC's.

So 14 hours in , level 11 and feeling a bit tougher I can seriously recommend this game to fans of the genre , the first couple of hours are hard but stick with it and the game shows its magic.

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

This looked very good when it came out unfortunately I haven’t played it yet. I’ll be waiting for it to come out on game pass.

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 03:13 PM
link   
What are you gamers gonna do when the cancel culture reaches you?

When was the last time you gamed online with someone from China?

Its coming and at this rate sooner than later

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I have difficulty being a renegade Shepard in Mass Effect...

I don't know if I could go through such a game without freaking over all the (a)moral choices the game offers... I guess I would need to go full psycho and not care, haha.

It's a tempting game, I must say.

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: sciencelol

Well, there are old games that are still very fun to play and that don't require online connections, so there is that.

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: coamanach

There are bad choices and there are dickish choices.

The problem with renegade Shep is that a lot of the choices just seem like being a dick for the sake of being a dick. The one renegade choice that really makes a whole lot of sense and has depth is choosing between saving the Council or not in the first game. I suppose the rachni queen choice is another.

Most of the time you're just being mean for the sake of feeling tough, but those two have actual reasons for being a hard @ss that make some sense.

I can play the renegade side if there is a real reason for it beyond just being mean.

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You are absolutely right about ME. Nice way of putting it, haha. Being mean for the sake of it wasn't fun.

I'll probably try Vampyr, but I anticipate a lot lot of squirming on my chair...

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I doubt I'll try this since Im not a fan of the genre, in fact old genres I used to like I'm just not that into anymore... im old for a gamer

The bottomline really is gameplay (things like how they handle the whos/whats/hows of vampire feeding and strengths vs vulnerabilities), and very few match my snobby expectations, lol. But the models look decent enough, and if they use the blue dot stuff for character animation then it will be believable enough for most to enjoy.

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliquandro

I’m still on a castlevania kick but when this game becomes available on game pass I’ll definitely check it out. Another one in the same vein is that lovecraft Cthulhu game I also want to try out.

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Good game , as most Focus Interactive games are.
Think Greedfall , A Plague Tale , and even Technomancer.

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I used to play Vampire the masquerade pen and paper game back in High school.
Hell, I even remember my Clan; Toreador.
They were the Artist vamps. Or the superstar personas.
I still remember going to war with the Malkavians ( I think that’s what they were called).
We played 3 times a week for like 2 months playing out that war.

I miss pen and paper games.
The last one I played was in Forgotten Realms, in the Under dark... as a dark elf of course.

I’m gonna check this game out.

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
a reply to: Aliquandro

I’m still on a castlevania kick but when this game becomes available on game pass I’ll definitely check it out. Another one in the same vein is that lovecraft Cthulhu game I also want to try out.

I was excited about that Cthulhu RPG game, and I am not a huge gamer. Maybe only like 3 to 5 times a month. But the reviews from regular players were so bad I lost interest.

This vampyr one looks interesting.

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: coamanach
I have difficulty being a renegade Shepard in Mass Effect...

I don't know if I could go through such a game without freaking over all the (a)moral choices the game offers... I guess I would need to go full psycho and not care, haha.

It's a tempting game, I must say.

This genre tends not to be like that, you are forced into a role, you are a vampire whether your character wants to be or not and from there you have moral choices to be good (or as good as you can be) or evil.

In Vampire the masquerade REDEMPTION which is sadly now very dated (And really needs a remake in a modern engine) you were forced to mingle with other vampires because you were only a young one but you had that choice based on what clan you chose to be, you could use vampire mind control to feed on people if you had that skill without turning them into vampires or killing them or you could hunt rats and drink from them instead if you chose some of the less reputable clan's such as the ugly deformed Nosferatu or the Gangrel's or the insane (the vampirism did that to them) Malkavians but if you chose to be one of the upper crust vampires that liked to rule both the humans world and there own from the shadows you were then unable to drink rat or animal as it would make you ill BUT in that game an alternative did exist, you could assuming you had enough money visit the local vampire friendly blood bank and buy bag's of fresh blood from them, think about it like a liquid black pudding.

Personally for story I still recommend Vampire the Masquerade Redemption but graphic's and engine wise it is extremely dated and that would put most of you off though the story in that one is brilliant, you start as a crusader knight whom is wounded and recovering in a convent in Prague about a thousand years or so ago were a beautiful (supposedly the game did not have graphic's for that) nun is caring for you, you fall in love with her and she with you but the bishop is a bit of a lecher and has his eye on her so as you recover he sends you on a mission that is meant to be your death to root out a foul creature that has invaded the local silver mines.

But in true hero style you survive and not only that kill a member of an evil vampire clan which arouses the attention of the leader of another clan whom is at war with that evil clan and she decides to turn you into a vampire in order to press you into her service as a soldier for her clan.

You being a devout Christian believing your very soul is now damned spend the remainder of your time in ancient Prague fighting the evil but are eventually caught in a collapse of the princes (the royal prince is also a vampire) castle as the people finally revolt against the evil that is rumoured to have taken control of there city.

Sometime in the 20th century maybe the 1960's or 1970's you wake up and find yourself in a warehouse, as you fight your way out it transpires that the leader of a clan of vampire hunters has turned himself into a vampire and after digging you up had planned to wake you then drink your blood in an act of vampire cannibalism that would have made him more powerful since you are now an ancient vampire, a whole new set of quests begins as you an ancient knight who had barely come to terms with being a vampire find yourself in a steam punk parallel world style London with it's own clan's to encounter and eventually you end up in New York were you play a hero once more albeit in the world of the vampires and tie up a lot of loose ends in your personal story.

Bloodlines was a very different game, it was proper first person instead of semi isometric third person for a start, you had plenty of choice but once again you began as some unwitting person whom has been seduced by a vampire male or female depending on your character creation only to be captured as soon as you are changed by what passes for a kangaroo court in the vampire world and put on trial alongside the vampire you turned you into one without having any explanation of what is going on, you see the vampire you were seduced by executed but are spared and then face being a puppet of the various factions and having to find your own way in the world with missions some of which were brilliant and even scary such as the abandoned hotel and making choices that will decide your moral fate.

If you are all out evil bloodlines does not reward you as you lose humanity points and become a beast which then spawns endless armies of vampire hunters whom hunt you down so you always have to keep a balance between keeping the masquerade (hiding vampires reality from the humans in the interests of all vampires a law they uphold regardless of clan) or becoming an outcast and dying very rapidly, within that balance you can be a good guy more or less or a rotten scoundrel. depending on your choice.

I have not personally played Vampyre but saw the reviews raving over it so it is undoubtedly a good game.

At heart it is an RPG but more than that they are story's, adventures and the character is not you but the finger you turn that digital book's pages with.

I too dislike playing evil characters or did but in the end you remember they are just games.

That said I heard the Chinese are clamping down on PC games, probably because of fear of western ideas and views being incorporated into them but they have claimed it is because they are a Digital Drug which for those addicted to them is an argument not without merit but those addicted to them would simply find something else, gambling for example while the majority just enjoy a good bit of escapism (Still I have to say they do have a bit of a point there).

edit on 9-8-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Its still a fun game for when it came out for sure. As a game for me it never matched up to actually playing live but that isn't always a possibility for people so this was a good option.

That being said some of the most fun I ever had was playing the old gold box AD&D computer games. =)

AS for gaming in China, mobile games are bigger draw then they are anywhere else in the world. Yes the great firewall of China plus many of the rules , regulations and expectations China has for games makes it harder to develop universal type games there. It's a tough though vital market to aim for but that is pretty much accurate across anything when dealing with China.

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
Its still a fun game for when it came out for sure. As a game for me it never matched up to actually playing live but that isn't always a possibility for people so this was a good option.

That being said some of the most fun I ever had was playing the old gold box AD&D computer games. =)

AS for gaming in China, mobile games are bigger draw then they are anywhere else in the world. Yes the great firewall of China plus many of the rules , regulations and expectations China has for games makes it harder to develop universal type games there. It's a tough though vital market to aim for but that is pretty much accurate across anything when dealing with China.

If you pay the $20 for the microsoft (XBONE s/x) developer kit, which is an app anyone can purchase I am pretty certain it actually allows you to develop for the Chinese market or at least it used to. As for how (if one develops a game for the Chinese market) I am not sure how distribution and sales work.

Another one of these link thingies

The Xbox One is a line of home video game consoles developed by Microsoft. Announced in May 2013, it is the successor to Xbox 360 and the third base console in the Xbox series of video game consoles. It was first released in North America, parts of Europe, Australia, and South America in November 2013 and in Japan, China, and other European countries in September 2014. It is the first Xbox game console to be released in China, specifically in the Shanghai Free-Trade Zone. Microsoft marketed the device as an "all-in-one entertainment system", hence the name "Xbox One".[15][16] An eighth-generation console, it mainly competed against Sony's PlayStation 4 and Nintendo's Wii U and later the Switch.

edit on 9-8-2021 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

top topics

join