It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden Wants Feds to Buy 75% American up from 55%

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Joe Biden is apparently going to raise the percentage of American-made products required to be purchased by federal agencies from 55% to 75%. I can see the "pro" as it being ostensibly helpful to American businesses. As for the "con" side, it's definitely going to cost taxpayers more. We get cheap stuff from Amazon because so much of it is Chinese. Also, rather than the increased percentage helping newer businesses, I can imagine most of the new money going to old cronies already biting down hard on the government teat, making the rich yet again richer.

But I guess at least they're "American." Although when it comes to business, everything is global anyway and just because something might be built and sold in America doesn't mean the company isn't owned by the Chinese or Saudis or whoever.

So I can only assume it's political and not necessarily practical. Your opinion may vary.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Although when it comes to business, everything is global anyway and just because something might be built and sold in America doesn't mean the company isn't owned by the Chinese or Saudis or whoever.

It's good that you included this. Technically Toyotas made here are American since they meet a certain standard of assemblage but the money still goes to a Japanese company.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Talk is cheap as we are seeing first hand 😎

Lies are a dime a dozen too😎

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Although when it comes to business, everything is global anyway and just because something might be built and sold in America doesn't mean the company isn't owned by the Chinese or Saudis or whoever.

It's good that you included this. Technically Toyotas made here are American since they meet a certain standard of assemblage but the money still goes to a Japanese company.

Cui bono?

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

This is a good thing . Chinese stuff is definitely lower quality.
Can't count the number of times my wife had to return things because the Chinese made shoes or garments were ripped or torn or fell apart within a week.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Are there even any Burger Kings in the UK or just here?

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Cui bono?

Non io.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
Are there even any Burger Kings in the UK or just here?

That crap is everywhere, it's one of our gifts to the world.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Biden Admin (quietly last week) further reduced the amount of emissions cars are allowed to release into the air.

Prices will go up, horsepower reduced, and more cars will come with the annoying "auto-shutoff" feature that kicks in at traffic lights and train crossings.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Biden Admin (quietly last week) further reduced the amount of emissions cars are allowed to release into the air.

Prices will go up, horsepower reduced, and more cars will come with the annoying "auto-shutoff" feature that kicks in at traffic lights and train crossings.

I can't imagine who would be for more emissions. But I suppose we all weigh the benefits and costs of everything. Around 40,000 people (that's a lot) are killed every year in automobile accidents destroying lives and families. We certainly have the technology to reduce that to practically nothing, but it would cost MONEY. $$$$$$$ So our society is fine with killing a huge number of people just so we can more easily drive to the dispensary.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany

Can't count the number of times my wife had to return things because the Chinese made shoes or garments were ripped or torn or fell apart within a week.

Honestly, though, sometimes I don't need or even want something to last a long time, and I don't want to pay a lot for it. A friend of mine bought a cheap Chinese metal grinder from Amazon the other day because the $35.00 it cost was a lot less than the $75.00 or so she would have had to pay somebody to come grind the annoying exposed rebar that needed grinding. That grinder may never be used again.

Computer equipment is the same way. I really don't want to spend a lot of money on a system and then have support and updates be discontinued in a few years or the protocols change so it becomes obsolete.

Does the US government need more expensive American toilet seats, even though they may last for 30 years?
edit on 28-7-2021 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Talk is cheap as we are seeing first hand 😎
Lies are a dime a dozen too😎

I can't disagree with you there.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 12:59 PM
link   

American workers are getting wages and are taxed. if a foreign company wants to set up shop here amd employ american workers i don't see it as a bad thing.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: subfab

It isn't 'buying American', it's a foreign corporation. Would you have the same attitude if the automaker was CCP Autos or Lil Kim's Korean Kompacts?

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany

Not necessarily a good thing. I'd need to see what constitutes "American made". My definition would require traceability back to the raw material being from the US. A company could buy all of it's components from outside the US, do final assembly here and call it "American Made" under the wording of some of these guidelines.

A lot of people are not aware that the Federal Government, Most State Governments and several City and Local Governments have requirements for companies that sell to them. Some of those requirements are Woman and Minority owned businesses, businesses that employ Union workers and there's now a push for LGBT owned businesses, to make up a certain percentage. Other companies who deal with them have to have a percentage of their vendors be from these companies.

The lengths that some companies go to meet the loose definition of these standards would blow your mind. I personally know a woman who has a 1% ownership in three different companies that allow them to qualify as a "woman owned" company. She has no say so in day to day operations, just collects three separate pay checks and attends yearly board meetings.

I sat through six hours of training on this subject a few months ago.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 01:07 PM
link   
When can we buy 75% of America back from China, or at least controlling interest?

link   

a reply to: subfab

It isn't 'buying American', it's a foreign corporation. Would you have the same attitude if the automaker was CCP Autos or Lil Kim's Korean Kompacts?

yes
it's a job for an american.
a corporation is a corporation.

a nation that is not on friendly terms with the u.s. would not set up shop here anyway.

link   

I have a pair of New Balance shoes that I wear daily, and have since Christmas 2019. They look new. Because I wear only Made in the USA New Balance shoes, and pay the $150 a pair to have them last and look good for years.

There is a larger lesson here for folks who care to understand.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I like my stuff to last, then I can fix it cheaper or for pretty much free later on.

posted on Jul, 28 2021 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I'm sure Hunter Biden is already setup to profit from Joe's every move, including this one.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join