It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taskmaster Actor Claims Her Character Is Maybe Even Stronger Than The Male Comic Book Version.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Neobucket

Awww, you upset?

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I seriously don't get it -- from either side. I don't get how it promotes women's interests to re-write male characters for a woman... and I don't get why viewers are so against fictional characters as the opposite gender.

It is not just gender. It is also race.

Remember this TV series, Shaka Zulu ?

What if we switched the black and whites in here and release it calling it a remake ? Or not calling it anything and just release it as if it is the most normal thing in the world to do?

What do you think that the people who are supporting all this gender and race bending in media would do?
There would be riots.

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: everyone

I quite liked the new Space Jam myself.

I might go back and rewatch Black Widow at some point but aye it was rather piss poor and severely hyped.

All the movies and shows as of late have seemed somewhat sub par all the same, lacking pizazz or im not quite sure what really.

I dont blame you for liking space jam because as you say almost everything is sub par these days and we have to pick the best of the worst when you think about it. I am pretty sure that it has been some time since you felt actual excitement about a movie release like you experienced maybe about 10 years ago.

for me it is very clear. It is because all of this race and gender politics in films and series and whatnot. The quality is terrible as it takes a backseat for political virtue signaling which right now is the most important thing above quality and everything else.

Lets be honest. Anyone who is not "Woke" and hears about the announcement of the next upcoming movie or remake of X, The first thing that comes to thought is "I wonder how much they will Woke this one up".

Example. The fifth Indiana Jones movie is in production by Disney with Kathleen Turner as its producer.

First thought?

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 12:03 PM
link   

It is not just gender. It is also race.

Good point.

And Shaka Zulu is a good example of how offensive it would be to many to mis-race an historical Black figure. The outcry would be deafening! And to a great extent rightly so. Because race has been made an issue for thousands of years, it's impossible to judge history without considering the racial norms and attitudes also present, which necessarily influenced and impacted events and outcomes.

I gave this some thought when the Anne Boleyn miniseries cast a Black actress as Anne, along with Black actors as her family members. Many people took exception to an historical figure being played by a Black actress. Historically speaking, if Anne had been Black, that would have been so remarkable for the times that THAT would have been "thee" story! Rather than her extra pinkie toe, or her alleged witchcraft, or even her execution. Others thought the actress' race should be unremarkable. As long as she could play the part, so be it. And I tend to agree with the latter. The actress' race is really only an issue if we make it an issue. People make race an issue. It's not an issue all by itself!

But I also recognized that the Woke Brigade would have a hissy fit if a White actress played the part of an historical Black Queen. Even Liz Taylor playing Cleopatra is controversial. More recently, Scarlett Johanssen was the object of the Woke Brigade's wrath when she took a part as a transgender character because they thought the part should be played by an actual transgender person.

Quite the pretzel we (as a society) tie ourselves into when we just want to make up rules as we go along, when truth and facts are replaced with wants and what-ifs, and principles are replaced with feelz.

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I'll give you a non-historical example; King's Gunslinger is a white dude. Now, I really like Idris Elba, he's a great actor, but he isn't the Gunslinger.

Not to mention the plot sucked nards.

Even Liz Taylor playing Cleopatra is controversial.

Why? Cleopatra was Greek.

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 12:21 PM
link   

First thought would be filming is in Glasgow and my Mrs got some pictures of some cracking cars.

Ive liked all the Indiana Jones films, all the same, even the last one.

One of the first movies i can ever remember watching on VCR was "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and then "The Basket Case" or "The Goonies".

Sometimes a movie is just a movie everyone i don't particularly like a lot of the additional woke content and character lines they feel the need to tag on to movies and games in this day of age but offence has to be taken and all that jazz.

I do indeed think just about everything is sub par these day.

Looking forward to the third season of Britannica and Dune which they will inevitable fluff up, so theirs that,

edit on 22-7-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Why? Cleopatra was Greek.

Well, that makes two of us that know this -- LOL!

I cannot explain it, I can only share what I was told... are you ready for this?... it's all about perception. Most people think "Black" when they think "Egyptian," so it's an offense to the perception of who Cleopatra was. And apparently not accepting the perception is offensive to those whose identity is defined by their perception of who and what their ancestors were.

I kid you not...

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Well, Egyptians weren't black either. People should pick up a history book or ten.

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Well, Egyptians weren't black either. People should pick up a history book or ten.

Big big sigh...

You really need to stop letting facts get it in the way!

It's the perception... perceptions rule!!!

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Awww, you upset?
Wow, that was scathing

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Wasn't meant to be.

You able to answer the question yet?

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Others thought the actress' race should be unremarkable. As long as she could play the part, so be it. And I tend to agree with the latter.

I admire your positivity in this i really do. And i say that as a mixed race person 50/50 black/white but i was raised to think for myself and not to blame everything on white people or anyone else for that matter. Not by my black father nor by my white mother. I was raised to respect others, where respect is due as i am also raised to stand up for myself where it is needed. In short, Be tolerant but do not tolerate everything.

As for the race switching with Anne Boleyn or even the Annie movie to me that is disrespecting a culture and its heritage. Which is why i brought up Shaka Zulu and made the example because that is how it would be seen and sold. As a disrespect to a culture. Now in my book you don't get to dictate such things onto others while pretending that it is ok to do for themselves. That is pure hypocrisy. Next to the fact that it is disrespecting.

Disrespect is disrespect but ok i say. If the woke want us to think that race and gender bending is ok then i vote for the next movie to be made about Adolph Hitler to feature a black Adolph and Eva Braun.

Thank you for your great response

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Basket case , whoa i rarely if ever heard someone refer to that movie +10

And sure sometimes a movie is just a movie but that is just the thing. That is not the case anymore. They have almost all become vessels for Woke agenda's. And mostly and effectively to engineer the young. They don't care that people beyond 30 do not like it. People under that age and certainly the ones below 20 will accept it is the norm. Which imo is why they are doing it and taking the financial hit that comes with it ATM.

Looking forward to the third season of Britannica and Dune which they will inevitable fluff up, so theirs that,

xD TY i had a good laugh because of that

posted on Jul, 22 2021 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I admire your positivity in this i really do. And i say that as a mixed race person 50/50 black/white but i was raised to think for myself and not to blame everything on white people or anyone else for that matter. Not by my black father nor by my white mother. I was raised to respect others, where respect is due as i am also raised to stand up for myself where it is needed. In short, Be tolerant but do not tolerate everything.

Thank you, and right back atcha! Sounds like you are blessed indeed with amazing parents who gave you more than just values, but the tools to build and live a good life. Besides health, nothing is more valuable.

As for the race switching with Anne Boleyn or even the Annie movie to me that is disrespecting a culture and its heritage. Which is why i brought up Shaka Zulu and made the example because that is how it would be seen and sold. As a disrespect to a culture. Now in my book you don't get to dictate such things onto others while pretending that it is ok to do for themselves. That is pure hypocrisy. Next to the fact that it is disrespecting.

I think there may be a fine line there, where something may not be outright disrespectful, but simply does not show respect either. And a lack of proper respect can definitely be considered disrespectful, but that's where perspective comes in. We cannot force others to show what we consider proper respect. I think we serve everyone's best interests best when we understand that, accept it for what it is, and appreciate that much more those who do show proper respect. Whether it's a person, or an event, or a movement... And we can simply respect that everyone has a right to think and choose for themselves, appreciating the principle involved moreso than the actual thought or deed.

Disrespect is disrespect but ok i say. If the woke want us to think that race and gender bending is ok then i vote for the next movie to be made about Adolph Hitler to feature a black Adolph and Eva Braun.

LOL! I really doubt some -- especially the most vocal and demanding -- would even see the irony!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join