It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Learned a new survival skill Tofu making

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 01:52 PM
link   
It is really an interesting thing. When I was growing up in an Asian household we were told if you wanted to gain weight, eat tofu. Oddly it was the exact opposite in the western circles, if you wanted to lose weight, eat tofu. Let me tell you, western tofu recipes are N-A-S-T-Y. It’s no wonder it is so looked down on. I remember coming home from school and my mom and friends had made a tofu soup that I loved. There wasn’t much left, I was crushed. It would be akin to coming home to find out your mom had made a delicious homemade pizza and didn’t save you any. I just loved it that much. I still love it that much to this day.

Due to my moms age and where she grew up, she was the original off grid living. She did not know what shampoo was, bathing was done in the river. All the food they ate was all crafted by hand, caught, processed, preserved, dried or grown. True living as humans were intended. She is sick and frail, but every day I am collection age old family recipes from her. The two I’ve been most excited about are Tofu and Soy sauce. Home made soy sauce is a work of art. Now let’s get back to tofu.

Let me tell you, it is very easy to buy tofu and it’s cheap, and for the immediate future that’s what I’ll continue to do. However It is nice to know how to make it from scratch. I realized why so many people in the world do eat it. It is filled with protein, it’s easy to grow/process and make. It is absolutely delicious when made properly. It is also nice meat substitute. I’ve added soybeans & mug beans in my garden plans. They are so cute and make so many things.

I’m not going to share the recipe as there are numerous videos and sites that pretty much all have the same basic instructions. What I will say, if you are interested is get the molds or pans now and give it a test run. I made it, and knew immediately where I went wrong. There is a slight learning curve to the coagulation step. Other than that, it’s pretty easy.

My mom also taught me the secrets of soy sauce. Not sure I’m brave enough to try it out just yet. I remember my grandma making it, and it’s quite the process.

From scratch, really scratch cooking is a lost art. I’m afraid there will be treasures lost forever pretty soon. We need to take all the grandma’s and grandpa’s and make sure our food legacy lives on!!
edit on 3-7-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Never tried tofu. Doubt i will.

And you're right, the cooking methods we grew up with ARE a lost treasure.

I miss the smell of the WHOLE house when my grandmothers cooked. Now the smell barely leaves the kitchen because it takes longer to eat the crap we eat than it does to cook...I mean heat it up.

What's the point in even having a kitchen anymore?

I want to hear more about that soy sauce, btw.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: EdisonintheFM

If you aren’t going to try tofu you are missing out. If made right it is absolutely delicious.
One of my favorite ways to make it is stir fried until crispy on the outside and then seasoned with scallions, soy sauce and peppers on the outside. Everyone that has it absolutely loves it, even people that might think they don’t like tofu.

As for soy sauce, it’s a pretty gross process. It’s fermented. You make this big block of peanut butter looking soybeans. You hang it up to dry (inside). You basically let it rot. You scrub the mold off. You let it rot some more. This video is really authentic. What does not come across in the video is that it smells, really bad. It’s very similar to cheese making. The clay jars also impart a flavor, and are an important part of the aging process.

youtu.be...

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I may try it, I do know the grocery store up the street sells it.

And thanks for the link, there's things I wanna make, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, and sesame sauce.

I love Chinese food.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: EdisonintheFM

I may try it, I do know the grocery store up the street sells it.

And thanks for the link, there's things I wanna make, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, and sesame sauce.

I love Chinese food.

I’m growing seeds to expeller press my own sesame oil. The taste is out of this world!
I have a large garden with all kinds of things that animals love, but the one thing they wanted the most was the
Sesame plants! I’m guessing the leaves must give off a scent or something. Rabbits passed over all kinds of greens for the sesame! I’ve protected them now and am glad I planted enough.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Love tofu, especially sliced thinly and fried crispy on the outside and added to a curry that my husband makes for me without nightshade ingredients.
Have you tried tempe? Indonesian style ferment soy beans. Slice it thinly, soaked in water with garlic and salt. Pat it dry and fry crispy then dip it in peanut sauce or ketchup mains (gluten free version, we buy an Indonesian brand).
Yum its breakfast time where I am and now I am hungry. Love sesame oil too, so much that I drizzle it on just about everything. Must try growing it as it pretty expensive.
edit on 3-7-2021 by Cloudbuster because: Added info.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Oh, that's right JAGS, tease us with how to make a delicious tofu then come out with "I'm not going to share the recipe". That's cruel that is. Have a nice day.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 04:02 PM
link   

The secret to a fast responding but punchy turbo charger is to take a huge ass one, modify the exhaust encasement to a smaller one, take off some meat from the compressor wheel and angle the exhaust side fans into the direction you make the exhaust stream spin by welding in a deflector into the turbo knee.

Air always bounces straight off walls, air does not want to bend but you twist it, it's compressing in itself, faster response and "harder" exhaust stream.

Now you share your tofu recipe!!!
You say it tastes good, I just ate tofu once and it tasted like paper that was ground and jelly-fied.

edit on 3.7.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 04:11 PM
link   

So, not all tofu tastes like the tasteless crap I have eaten multiple times in the past? I must have tried tofu in things like soups and dishes twenty times in my life, I learned to take just a little on the plate because I do not want to make anyone feel I didn't eat their dish because it tasted like crap. It does not taste like sheet...although I have never really tasted sheet that I know of. I am just guessing that sheet has more flavor.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

So, not all tofu tastes like the tasteless crap I have eaten multiple times in the past? I must have tried tofu in things like soups and dishes twenty times in my life, I learned to take just a little on the plate because I do not want to make anyone feel I didn't eat their dish because it tasted like crap. It does not taste like sheet...although I have never really tasted sheet that I know of. I am just guessing that sheet has more flavor.

No!! Tofu was meant to take the flavor of whatever compliments it. Think of spaghetti noodles, if you ate them right out of the water with nothing on them, they would taste bland, plain and you probably wouldn't be able to eat very much. Add sauce, spices, and voila, delicious. Tofu is the same way. It needs a sauce, marinade or soup.

Here is one of my favorites! I've been able to covert many people with this recipe! It has a crispy/chewy mouth feel with a soft center, and the flavor is amazing. Bland is the very last word I would use to describe this tofu!

edit on 3-7-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I grew up with Vietnamese friends.
My buddy Thang turned me on to tofu.
It goes in one end a little on the bland side.
Comes out the other end as chemical warfare.

top topics

join