It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Cry for Help or Not?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
You're hypnotized by this place, all of you. It's so bright and neatly wrapped that you don't see it's a prison too."

Is this someones way of saying. Im trapped and so are all of you. I want to be free..

Basically a cry for help or a need to be understood?

Please help in this study.. read above statement and then let us hear your interpetation..

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
i don't think it's a cry for help. what i think it is or sound is more a way of saying "open your eyes and get out of the mess you are". but i might be wrong.

where is the sentence from?

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The phrase obviously meant a lot to him. I don't think it was as much a cry for help as it was a validation of his feelings towards the world. Sometimes all it takes to push you over the edge is for one other person to share your point of view. He obviously felt the rest of the world was so blind to their own reality and therefore could never begin to understand the pain he felt in his, and you know what, he was probably right. It was more like a surrender. There's no doubt that he was in need of regular professional counseling, and not just anti-depressants.

Personally, I find a lot of meaning in the phrase.

Peace

[edit on 23-3-2005 by Dr Love]

[edit on 23-3-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
That was Weiss's signature. I just thought it was only speaking of how we are so wrapped up in the world and it's luxurious things. Kinda like, "oh, the light, it's so pretty." ZAP!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
could have added it here :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

so that we don't have to jump back and forth between two threads..

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by steggyD
Kinda like, "oh, the light, it's so pretty." ZAP!!!

Independence Day....

Awesome Movie... First time I watched that scene, I was thinking, yup, they'll be the first to go... and then as you put it ZAP !

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
It was taken from "Dawn of the Dead".

Romero's satirical depiction of instant and celebratory gratification is consistent both with classical European images of luxury and with modernist denunciations of the restlessly acquisitive postmodern zeitgeist, such as Christopher Lasch's melancholic Culture of Narcissism (1979). Of the film's characters, however, only Fran (Gaylen Ross) voices the film's moral insight. Accusing the men of being hypnotized by the mall, she tells Stephen: "It's so bright and neatly wrapped you don't see that it's a prison too." Fran is expressing, albeit rather preachily, Romero's own perspective: far from endorsing consumerism, she highlights the tendency of human beings to become cultural dupes. In this sense, the "fool's paradise" of the mall is a pretext for a classical humanist condemnation of visceral indulgence.

www.americanpopularculture.com...

This was dialogue from Francine, after they've landed in the mall.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
You're hypnotized by this place, all of you. It's so bright and neatly wrapped that you don't see it's a prison too.

It's from Dawn of the Dead

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Interesting how that kid frequented this site. It was very interesting reading his posts. I remembered his avatar, it was from some video game, I can't remember the name.

Very interesting indeed.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
also on Independence Day, the one Girl - Dancer goes to the top of the building and as the "ship" is opening up says :

The light, so pretty.... and then they get Zapped !!

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justmytype
You're hypnotized by this place, all of you. It's so bright and neatly wrapped that you don't see it's a prison too."

Is this someones way of saying. Im trapped and so are all of you. I want to be free..

Thanks.

Don't think so.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
This was the signature line used by "Weise". He, if you havent already read is the teenager and also an ATS member that killed a bunch of people in his Minnesota High School.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justmytype
This was the signature line used by "Weise". He, if you havent already read is the teenager and also an ATS member that killed a bunch of people in his Minnesota High School.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
in all honesty it is very hard to say what the implication was. after what has happened it could be a call for help. but not sure.

some of his posts seemed now to have been a call for help esp, the ones where he discusses his sleep experiances. the others he seems fine. i just wish i had been around to see it mabe i might have clued in i don't know. with reading so many posts i find i don't always look at who the poster is i look mainly at the content. the graphics are nice for this as you do start to recognise some of them at a glane.

interestingly enough today was the first time i ran into any of his posts before i saw that he had died. i was actualy looking forward to more like his bigfoot footprint photo.

i realize that many disagree with me but i will mourn his loss to society.

it is something i tire of in our sociaty the looking at one act without trying to understand what was behind it, or led up to it. i have even seen that a lot here. you try to point out what motivated things and get shot down because you are seen not as trying to be understanding but as trying to justify things so they are not bad or evil. if you try to justify something you are trying to understand why something has happened useing as much reason and logic as can be mustered. if you try to understand how something has happened you can try to prevent reoccurances. is this not simmiler to sciance. to try to understand something so you can cause what you want or stop what you don't want? as far as i can see it is the same thing. by condemming someone in death there is nothing to be achived you will not be able to bring back the dead. if someone survives you let a judge and jury decide their fate. this does not mean however you should just write them off as being bad or evil. you should try to look at how they were thinking at the time what factors could have contributed to the unwanted behavior.

personaly i normaly find fear at some level. fear seems to be the main driveing force behind most actions, especialy ones we percieve to be evil. just take plain old school naziism, they even openly stated the fear that drove them the fear of any person not arian. they used fear to gain support wheather it be dirrect threats or awakeing fear towords the jews.

fear=hate always keep this in mind just as hate=fear.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
That statement applies to so many different 'places' it's disturbing. I use a quote from the same movie as a signature on another site. I can understand why this young man felt the way he did. I cannot however understand shooting people. Life is a prison, for some of us at least. I feel that the day I die will be a day of celebration. For once the struggles of life will cease and a new journey (or nothing at all) will begin. I will let life have its way with me until that point. I always refer to Flinx's signature:

"The universe has a sick sense of humor and makes jokes at my expense."

It's best to just laugh it up no matter how painful life becomes. Don't let the pain consume you. Don't let it destroy you. You're stronger than any amount of pain.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bangin
Life is a prison, for some of us at least. I feel that the day I die will be a day of celebration. For once the struggles of life will cease and a new journey (or nothing at all) will begin.

I suggest reading about buddhism or at least Dalai Lamas books. It may sound funny or whatever, but that's one good place to start your 'liberation' from the prison. Trust me, no matter what you think, you should give it a try (or two, three...
) . Stay cool

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Add to this thread

thread closed

top topics

join