It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone here is smart enough to identify this building

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Cirice

Yep that looks like an exact match, so now I have a starting point.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Protip for everyone: Look up the city of interest on Google maps, and then enable globe view in the options on the bottom left. You can pan around in 3d in great detail.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: argentus
I'm thinking that this is Chicago, perhaps in the 20s - 30s. If I find a photo that establishes that conclusively, I'll post it.

Yep, Chicago.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

That's 100% it. The building in the negative with the green roof is 11 East 39th Street.

I can see the MetLife Building (the black rectangular one) on top of Grand Central Terminal in the middle and the Chrysler Building slightly in front of Grand Central and to the right.

You can also easily match the windows:

edit on 17-6-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Dey terk er election

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Its NY City, but the big building they are still building in the background seems to not be there anymore.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Yep, Chicago.

No, Midtown Manhattan.

And LOL'ing at thinking this was Egypt with all these Art Deco, Neo Classical and Belle Arte skyscrapers.

edit on 17-6-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

You're facing the wrong direction. Your photo is looking downtown, the negative is looking uptown.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Oppositeoftruth

thats 10 E 40th street NY

www.gettyimages.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Cirice

That isn't the Waldorf to the left, it would be to the right, a little past Grand Central.

I also just noticed the negative is a panorama, so the perspective is not going to be the same as looking at a 3D Google Earth image.

edit on 17-6-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: dey terk er election

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

That picture could be from the other direction. The building would be the same on both sides.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Oppositeoftruth

I just want to say thank you for posting something that is not political or the "C" word related.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 07:25 PM
link   
First of all, the picture is of another slide. The slide is from a old style stereoscopic View-Master reel, for a View-Master viewer.

These were popular in in the late 30's up until the early to mid 70's. Given the slide (not "negative") is in color, I would date it probably 50's-ish, possibly early 60's, but not much later. Exposure quality is pretty low, so it's likely earlier rather than later.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I believe that is the same building I was talking about back on the first page

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: BlankUsername

100% correct.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Given that the slide is on a View-Master reel, it is likely a notable building. Regular folk could have their own view-master reels made, but they were expensive, so normally people bought them in collections based on a theme, or a landmark.

ETA - Most photography of the day didn't use the 'Rule of 3rd's' as is common with modern photography, so this would put the picture probably late 50's at latest. This is why the building is centered, both vertically and horizontally in the frame.

edit on 6/17/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

It has to be after 1962-3 since the MetLife Building is in the photo.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: BlankUsername

Yeah you're welcome. I like stuff like this, we can all put our differences aside and work on a common problem. I'm very happy to have got this figured out, I thank all of you for your time and diligence, it's very appreciated! Good job my fellow atsers!

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I was thinking around the 70s, I don't know why I just got that feeling.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Could be as late as 62-3. I don't know the skyline, nor the buildings (other than just architecture) like you probably do. However, I am pretty good with cameras, photography types and styles.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Thanks for the insight, I'm still trying nail down the date. Like I said I want to get a print of it, it's just a cool photo, I love finding things like this in my travels.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join