It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salvador Dali's Moustaches

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 03:02 PM
link   
(Because it will be a sad day when we can no longer admire extraordinary moustaches...)

A friend sent me this delightful clip of Salvador Dali discussing moustaches, in particular his own (although Marcel Proust's moustache is mentioned).

I wish we had more "celebrities" and interviews along these veins today.
If you're aware of anything comparable in our contemporary culture, please share here!

Hope you can enjoy this lighthearted exchange!! Happy Sunday!!
(keeping this brief, because honestly, the clip speaks for itself, and I don't want to spoil any part. once you've seen it, we can discuss any parts which strike you if you'd like!)
9gag.com...

Longer clip from this interview

edit on 6-6-2021 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Strange but I can admire a nice mustache too, no idea why. Notice how it also swivels back and forward while he speaks.

His work I always admired. In school when we had art lessons and we could do freestyle but got grades on it, I mostly drew some strange nonsensical stuff and claimed it's art because the teacher knew how I was into Dali's surrealism and how he expressed it.

The first one I can remember was the pancake clock one, seen it depicted in comics before and at one point saw the original and learned it's Dali's work and it's called surrealism, I was hooked. There's always something I can marvel about when I watch random work of Dali.

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

I've always loved his work as well; and until today I think I've never heard him speak. I love how he expresses himself and the moustache has a lot to do with it. (Ha, I'll have to watch what it does when he speaks)

A couple of my favorites are the Metamorphosis of Narcissus and his elephant paintings. I also was interested in the 1939 World Fair which Dali helped to design.

Glad you enjoyed the moustaches!!

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I admire Dali’s art a lot

Thank you for posting this.
I started watching it but I’m out and about and wanted to comment to help mark it for later

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: CrazyBlueCat

It's a real whimsical clip, in my opinion. Hope you like what you see!!

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I admit I had to do image search to find the names, describing one would be funny to try.

El torero hallucinogene because in a time I didn't knew about synesthesia, I always found this one to be a close representation of what I see with music but with color patterns and music, not bugs

If tried to find another one. It's one of the stone series with rectangular openings inside and features the Y shaped crudges thing (the things one needs if a leg is broken) that can be seen in other paintings. There's a ship in the distance.Fog. It's not the one with the kidney formed stone. Anyways Dali has not stopped to surprise me and I found some paintings I can not remember to have ever seen.

Great thread and reminder about an interesting personality

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

I looked up el torero hallucinogene, and it's incredible.

Glad you enjoyed the reminder! You're right, Dali embodied a fantastic personality which really shines through in this clip.
Have a good one!!

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I have a Dali book somewhere in a box but now I suspect it does not contain all works. Damn you book company *waives fist*. So all these other arts have been like unobtainium to me because I never looked. But how exiting to know!

Have a nice day too, btw when he told the reporter that earlier days his mustache he just used the grease and fat on his mouth after eating and was saying this like it's an everyday occurance and not the slightest nasty at all.... that feisty look on his face made me chuckle.

I bet he enjoyed the reaction

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Something not well known about Dali :

According to legend, Salvador Dali is just one of the people who underwent a modern day exorcism. Those who believe Dali underwent the exorcism say that it occurred in 1947, after Dali’s friend Friar Berardi was excommunicated in France. Although there are no written accounts of the exorcism taking place, it is believed that a figure of Christ, which was found in Berardi’s house following his death in the 1980s, was a gift from Dali after the exorcism was performed.

paranormal.allwomenstalk.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Love 9GAG im a regular there.
Seen this video there yesterday. Great site..

Love Dali, i went to the Dali museum in London a few years ago when i was a patient in the hospital beside it, Saint Thomas's. They had the red lips sofa there among other things. I used to have Dali posters framed and all over my apartment.

Elephants and Swans is one of my favourites.

At the museum you could buy a Dali scribble for $150. I couldnt believe i could actually own an original Dali even if it was just a quick scrawl of a horse or something. One colour-black, done in about 5 seconds i'd say. It seemed too good to be true so i didn't buy anything..

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Have a nice day too, btw when he told the reporter that earlier days his mustache he just used the grease and fat on his mouth after eating and was saying this like it's an everyday occurance and not the slightest nasty at all.... that feisty look on his face made me chuckle.

I bet he enjoyed the reaction

Thank you, and haha, I loved that part too. Also his espression when the interviewer mentioned how he "could face the world with that wonderful moustache standing up" was wonderful to me.

My favorite though was when he was talking about Proust's moustache and said "he used his wax in one another man in another mood" and the difference between his and Proust's moustaches.===

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Cool, and I did not know that!

Thanks for sharing that interesting story and link.

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Even if it were a doodle on a paper napkin, it would be cool to have an original Dali.

I would have been suspicious of that price, too. Is it possible to get something Dali created for only $150?

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 06:27 PM
link   

If you're aware of anything comparable in our contemporary culture, please share here!

A level of sophistication that doesn’t exist anymore. Less emotional and dramatic. I love watching old movies. Life was so much simpler back then.

Only person alive I can think of is Anthony Hopkins. I’m sure there’s a few more. Unfortunately, a dying breed.

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

Great example of a person who embodies that classic sophistication you mention.

I have a great clip of Orsen Welles and Peter O Toole discussing Hamlet (it can be found on Youtube) which reminds me of that quality you write about.
I love watching old movies or listening to Django Reinhardt for that notalgic feeling (though it was all well before my time--I was an 80s 90s kid).
Thanks for reading/commenting!

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 07:43 PM
link   
He has a very unique way of rolling his R's. It doesn't really sound like it's coming from his mouth, but I'm pretty sure it is anyways.

I looked up the 'Dali Moustache' at www.worldbeardchampionships.com...

The official criteria is:

www.worldbeardchampionships.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

That's some fun input, thank you!! Haha, love that it has its own perameters.

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I feel like Dali didn’t have enough time to master his craft.

posted on Jun, 7 2021 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Even if it were a doodle on a paper napkin, it would be cool to have an original Dali.

I would have been suspicious of that price, too. Is it possible to get something Dali created for only $150?

I know right?
But if i remember correctly the way they worded the descriptions of said 'scrawls' was, to me anyway, that they were done by a class he thought or something similar. I really cant remember what it said but i definitely wasn't feeling it.

That was about 20 years ago so the price now if theres any left, im sure would be a lot more.

posted on Jun, 7 2021 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I too have always been a huge fan of Dali's work! Was completely obsessed as a youngster.
I later found another artist that came way before him named Hieronymus Bosch. I could see how Dali could have drawn inspiration from Hieronymus Bosch. www.hieronymus-bosch.org...

What do you y'all think? Is it just me?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join