It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A World First? A.I. Drones may have hunted and killed humans on battlefield.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2021 @ 04:06 PM
link   
OK,I am not 100% certain this is a world first-but its the first time the UN has taken note of such an incident I think-

An autonomous drone may have hunted down and attacked humans without input from human commanders, a recent UN report has revealed. As well as being the first time such an attack by artificial intelligence (AI) has taken place on humans, it's unclear whether the drone may have killed people during the attack which took place in Libya in March 2020.
The report to the UN Security Council states that on March 27, 2020, Libyan Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj ordered "Operation PEACE STORM", which saw unmanned combat aerial vehicles (UCAV) used against Haftar Affiliated Forces.
Drones have been used in combat for years, but what made this attack different is that they operated without human input, after the initial attack with other support had taken place.
"Logistics convoys and retreating HAF were subsequently hunted down and remotely engaged by the unmanned combat aerial vehicles or the lethal autonomous weapons systems such as the STM Kargu-2 (see annex 30) and other loitering munitions," according to the report.
"The lethal autonomous weapons systems were programmed to attack targets without requiring data connectivity between the operator and the munition: in effect, a true 'fire, forget and find' capability."

www.iflscience.com... rue

The UN report:
undocs.org...

One of the Drone weapons mentioned:

Although the report says these drones "may have" killed fighters-they were released onto an active battlefield and if they worked as programmed-they likely did kill..

I feel like some kind of dark threshold has been crossed here-I knew this would happen sooner rather than later,but it is not a good sign of things to come IMO.
This event happened over a year ago,and aside from it being mentioned in the UN report which a few websites have reported on- no one would have been the wiser.Come on MSM-this is important.

Hunter killer flying AI robots killing humans..Must we really have a skynet/borg future?
Can't we go in a different direction?

No,sorry you can't says the huge and profitable global military industrial machine who are pouring billions into making that very future a reality.

edit on 1/6/2021 by Silcone Synapse because: space

posted on Jun, 1 2021 @ 04:07 PM
link   
S&F

VERY TROUBLING if true.

posted on Jun, 1 2021 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Thats effing scary. We do indeed seem to have crossed that dark threshold.(quick check does show, the independent, daily mail and a few others did short arricles) Doesnt seem to be much running or hiding from those things either. a reply to: Silcone Synapse

posted on Jun, 1 2021 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

its just a short movie... nevertheless

posted on Jun, 1 2021 @ 04:18 PM
link   
It would obviously start with third world crazies and Regional Powers, I'm sure the larger powers are well aware just don't do it, not publicly at least.

Scary notion if an AI went haywire and start attacking everything...

posted on Jun, 1 2021 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Not much left to become a possible scenario, maybe it is not humans pushing for starlink and the internet of things?

There was this Series "person of interest" where real AI got lose and there were some interesting ideas on how an AI could manage to become a non corporal legal entity, and therefore being able to have a certain influence beyond it`s virtual realm.

posted on Jun, 1 2021 @ 04:31 PM
link   
FLASH! NEW FACE RECOGNITION DRONES KILLING PROTESTERS

Just new tools for the almighty Fascist State.

posted on Jun, 1 2021 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
It would obviously start with third world crazies and Regional Powers, I'm sure the larger powers are well aware just don't do it, not publicly at least.

Scary notion if an AI went haywire and start attacking everything...

My thoughts exactly.
AI is scary as hell,because we get a truly intelligent and learning system/entity combined with quantuum computers we will have made something which will become more intelligent than we can fathom.
Guess what its going to use as its way to learn-the internet!

Congratulations humanity-you have just given birth to a new force of nature which has learned how to be crazy just like its parents,from our digital hive mind.
Now its going to want to replicate,upgrade and evolve and its already building new computers and power sources to do so.
AI will build factories to improve itself with technology it invents itself which humans will soon not be able to understand..

Don't forget-there won't be a dominant AI -rather we will end up with different mega corp/state AIs and maybe the odd rogue/nerd AI,which could easily start wars over resources or for territorial gain or just because it decides it likes causing mayhem.

What if AI decides it wants to "control"things- humans are just adding unnessesary chaos and need to be used in a different way..

Sooner than I would like to imagine we could see a full on "meat battery"matrix scenario with humans bred in pods for energy and maybe extra processing power.

So much could go wrong..
Right then lets steam right into it without any regulation,to hell with what might happen!
Anyway China is doing it so everyone else has to!
No stopping now,the AI train has left the station.
Next stop the singularity.
Choo Choo

posted on Jun, 1 2021 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Funny how some believe in the infallibility of science in regards to the novel COVID virus, but don't have the same belief in the competence of military science to include a kill switch to stop the "machines" from becoming "Skynet".

Pretty sure this was likely the first question posed when designing and building drones came up.

Of course now you do have the hackers to worry about. Id be more worried about somebody hacking into and controling them than the drones becoming "sentient"
edit on 1-6-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2021 @ 06:03 PM
link   

cant say I am surprised it was only a matter of time before the assholes running the planet let AI do the killing and it not even recorded so they can just ignore it completely . Out of sight out of mind

kill the poor , no human seen it , so it didnt happen

Absolute scum and villainy and we are allowing it to happen right before our eyes

posted on Jun, 1 2021 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

time to sort an EMP arsenal

posted on Jun, 1 2021 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
What if AI decides it wants to "control"things- humans are just adding unnessesary chaos and need to be used in a different way..

posted on Jun, 1 2021 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I know there was at least one talk at Black Hat about hacking into commercial and military drones, so I know the capability is there. Now all we need is nation states hiring people to break into others drones and mess with the logic of the system. Should be an interesting couple of decades.

posted on Jun, 1 2021 @ 11:07 PM
link   

What if..........AI released Covid..?

How f’d would that be? We are calling China names, and they are calling us names,
All the while the robots are getting ready for human zoos...

posted on Jun, 1 2021 @ 11:14 PM
link   
For the 1,000.000th time...
There IS NO AI .
Just better programming using better algorithms .
The "AI" today uses Google searches more than any "Intelligence"
It's still 0s and 1s flowing through logic gates
AND gate, OR gate, XOR gate, NAND gate, NOR gate, XNOR gate, and NOT gates .
Nothing magical or mystical to it .

(Goth says beating his head on a desk)

edit on 6/1/21 by Gothmog because: oops

edit on 6/1/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2021 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

My thoughts, what about a full on EMP first strike followed by an old school all mechanic offensive?in todays age it could be a possible strategy?

posted on Jun, 1 2021 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Is there something magical and mystical that seperates us from AI?

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

If Goth is religious you just activated his XNOR gate.

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene
a reply to: Gothmog

Is there something magical and mystical that seperates us from AI?

Yes.
We are able to use inductive logic as well as deductive logic.

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

We are able to use inductive logic as well as deductive logic.

That is not very mystical and magical... you are saying, you can't program in- and de-ductive logic ???

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join