It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nikola Jokic MVP

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Hello friends!

This thread is for any who still love the sport of basketball. I've been a fan spanning several decades, love playing the sport, love watching the greats play. There is something about the mix of endurance, strength, and having just the right touch that has always appealed to me over any other sport (personal preference I'm sure).

Imagine my delight in 2014 when my ride or die team (and they've never won a title so it's been a lot of disappointing years lol) picked up The Joker in-- a big, unathletic looking Serbian beast of a basketball player whose basketball IQ is through the roof.
He was picked in the second round--41st overall--and didn't believe his brother when he called to tell Jokić he was going to Denver.

7 years later, and he's the nearly unanimous pick for MVP.

His game is really a thing of beauty. What I love about athletics/sport is that it showcases the ability and precision of the human body. Joker is the best passing center ever in the league. His passes are often so on the mark that his recipient doesn't even need to dribble before laying it in. He can collapse the defense (because his shot is deadly) and then hit any open player. He averaged 35-36 minutes a game and played in every game this year despite the condensed and intense schedule this year (any other contestant for MVP sat out significant amounts of time).

He carried an injury laden team to a better record than the NBA darlings (Lakers, groan).
He has his own pacing, and the opponent has to play by his terms.

Joker's numbers are off the hook, averaging 26.4 points per game, 10.8 rebounds, and 8.3 assists (would be higher if some of the Nuggets best shooters weren't injured)--nearly a triple double.
He's a pretty humble and likeable guy too--really just out to win games, whether by setting up his teammates for the big shots or taking them for himself (usually depends on the kind of night the Nuggets are having).

The media talking heads and referees were slow to give him love, despite the proof of his excellence, but most people are finally coming around.

Nikola will go down as one of the all time greats.

Hope the league gives this man his due: Nikola Jokić MVP 2021

edit on 26-5-2021 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 10:46 AM
link   
He should be MVP, his passing and shooting skills are fun to watch. Have liked the Nuggets since Dan Issel Skywalker David Thompson Doug Moe days.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Agreed! This season and the 2020 playoffs were so fun to watch.

Hope they take the title this year

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

You would have been better off drafting Prince:

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I'm a ''playoffs'' kinda fan. Watch at games that are scheduled until it gets more intense down the line.
The thing that amazes me most about the game is not just their skill and total body control, it's how freekin fast they can think and anticipate the play of others.

Anyway, Jovic is new to me as a guy to pay attention to. I"ve watched him twice now in these playoffs and thrilled to his level of play. Yet for MVP there are still a few guys to contend against like James and KD...

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I stopped watching the NBA woke racist communist league. Apparently millions of others have also.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

I'm a ''playoffs'' kinda fan. Watch at games that are scheduled until it gets more intense down the line.
The thing that amazes me most about the game is not just their skill and total body control, it's how freekin fast they can think and anticipate the play of others.

Anyway, Jovic is new to me as a guy to pay attention to. I"ve watched him twice now in these playoffs and thrilled to his level of play. Yet for MVP there are still a few guys to contend against like James and KD...

It's going to be a great playoffs if the first few games represent the rest of it.

The two you mentioned were either hurt or sat out too much or just didn't put up the numbers (Lebron lower in points per game, rebounds, and assists--KD tied Joker's ppg but was lower in rebounds and assists).

It's a clear path to MVP for the Joker, unless politics get in the way

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Mark08

Ok
This was not the topic of the thread, however. Feel free to create your own and I will definitely agree with some of your points I'm sure.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I'm a big time basketball fan. Hate Jokic, always ruins my fantasy bb lineups!
I seem to always pick him when he has a down game.

My dear friend treated me to front row seats at a Bucks game. It was truly an experience.
I got a fist bump from Antetokounmpo, this was right before Covid happened.
I doubt they will be doing that anytime soon, if ever again.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Giannis is one of the best; very cool

A dear friend of mine treated my husband and I to primo tickets (right at the visitor's tunnel) for a Suns/Lakers game and that was awesome. My bro always gets me good seats at the Nuggets games too. Love going to the games.
(you must have only picked Jokic two/three times to catch him on an off game this year)

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mark08
I stopped watching the NBA woke racist communist league. Apparently millions of others have also.

Raises hand. Die hard NBA fan for almost 40 years. I just can’t stomach the virtue signaling 30 million dollar a year babies anymore.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Check out the main page on ESPN.

www.espn.com...

What the hell does Trump have to do with sports?!

Sorry to burst the bubbles.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO
Not exactly sure, but look who brought him into my Jokic appreciation thread (and not to be rude).

I don't go on gaming threads telling everyone why I don't like to game.

But sorry you miss the sport and that it's changed for you (Nuggets are not a woke team so I don't see it I guess)

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Sometimes anti-wokers see just as much racism to complain about as wokers.
I'm with Charles Barkley on this one:

I might write a thread about basketball and politics, and encourage anyone else who wishes to do so. This thread is about the 41st overall draft who went on to smash some Wilt Chamberlain records (and rather early on in his career).
clutchpoints.com...
www.espn.com...

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
a reply to: JAGStorm

Giannis is one of the best; very cool

A dear friend of mine treated my husband and I to primo tickets (right at the visitor's tunnel) for a Suns/Lakers game and that was awesome. My bro always gets me good seats at the Nuggets games too. Love going to the games.
(you must have only picked Jokic two/three times to catch him on an off game this year)

I love going to the games and it's one of the things I missed most during Covid.
If you are ever in Milwaukee the Fiserv Forum is pretty cool. The area around it is still kinds sketchy, but the stadium is neat.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Apologies. Didn’t mean to be a dick. I’ll se my way out.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

No harm at all

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 05:35 PM
link   
FWIW I don't support any sport the way I used to, but I do enjoy Fantasy Sports. But the playoffs are a nice distraction, besides it's not like the Hawks are in it every year hard not to have them on at least in the background. I appreciate Jokic's game because they make that extra pass to get the open shot.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

There are so many things that have been tainted in the past few years... I'm not letting anyone take my b-ball from me though, lol. Hope your hawks do well and we see you in the finals

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

PS One of the best comedy sketches ever

top topics

<<   2 >>

join