It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Chiefs lineman/assistant coach told he was ‘not the right minority’ in interview

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2021 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Eugene Chung is one of only three Asian Americans, and the first Korean, to play in the NFL, and he went on to coach there too.

He reported recently that even though he's a minority, and really, really tiny minority in the NFL, he wasn't the "right" one for the job.

Chung, who spent time as a player and coach in New England, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, and Philadelphia, first made the comments about his experience in an interview with The Boston Globe.

“It was said to me, ‘Well, you’re really not a minority,'” Chung said. “I was like, ‘Wait a minute. The last time I checked, when I looked in the mirror and brushed my teeth, I was a minority.'”

I think we can all guess which minority the interviewer was looking for, and it's not white either. When people say "minority" in these circumstances, they mean "victim" and Asians just aren't seen that way because they don't act that way.

Since making his original comments, Chung has appeared on other outlets saying he will not disclose any names of people or teams, but that this is not the first time he had heard these kinds of comments.

“I got no problem talking to anyone whoever wants to call and talk about it, but I’m not gonna name names, I’m not gonna name teams. I can tell you this, it’s been said to me on many occasions. Not just last year, or the year before,” Chung said in an interview with ESPN.

“It’s been out there, it’s just never been said. We’ve always just been quiet just flying under the radar, “You’re a good little Asian. You’re a good minority,” the ‘model minority.’ I think I broke that model.”

Chung says he has no problems with the NFL; instead, he's just telling his experiences.

So if an Asian American, one of only 3 ever to be in the league, doesn't qualify as minority enough for the league, then what does "minority" actually mean?

posted on May, 25 2021 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Like the left always does, it means whatever they want it to mean in the circumstance they are trying to control people and society with.

They don’t believe anything. All they know how to do is manipulate.

posted on May, 25 2021 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Dang , good thing I wasn't the team owner.
That person would be called on the carpet and terminated immediately.
No goodies , no contract , and I would make sure they never , ever got a job anywhere again.

I am all about ability and performance on the job.
No matter the race.

posted on May, 25 2021 @ 09:15 PM
link   

So if an Asian American, one of only 3 ever to be in the league, doesn't qualify as minority enough for the league, then what does "minority" actually mean?

You know exactly what it means.

Ironically that minority makes up the majority of NFL players.

posted on May, 25 2021 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

We all do ... well most of us who are sane.

I wonder what would have happened if he had been Hispanic ...

posted on May, 25 2021 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Paper bag test for the Hispanic.

Things like this happen a lot, "We NeEd mUh DiVerSitY". I noticed this odious practice many years ago, about the same time that I realized certain peoples were immune to getting fired from their jobs.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Maybe isn't about race. Maybe they mean he's not minority because he's a man.

All he had to do is let them see him using the wrong bathroom.
edit on 26-5-2021 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 05:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

All he had to do is let them see him using the wrong bathroom.

By "the wrong bathroom" I hope you meant the desk of the interviewer.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Maybe by 'right minority' he actually meant the 'right minority of people in the NFL who could help us beat Tom Brady'.

Too soon?

edit on 26-5-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Some dude named Martin said this:

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Even when they get it right, they usually screw up the reasons or timing or whatever, hence getting it wrong. They get away with being bonheaded idiots by giving us blood and guts which peeps love above all else. Think about it, steroids in the NFL? No big deal. Steroids in MLB? You can be the all time home run king and still not make it to the HOF.

"This is part of Arlen Specter's thesis that the NFL owns America," Specter told Robbins that night, according to a transcript of their conversation. "They're addicted to pro football in a way they have never been addicted to baseball. Or heroin."

Son, ghostwriter of late senator say Trump intervened to stop probe of Patriots' Spygate scandal - which is kinda funny as the NFL smashed all the tapes before anyone could see them so it meant little that he tried to do this. A really good article with loads of details. They are lucky they have anti-trust exemption or else their business model would fail. At a point in this drama, Specter threatened to take it away from the NFL but never got around to it.

They can't even abide by their own Rooney Rule, in effect for some twenty years and it's pretty much totally ignored these days. Eric Bienemy should have been a head coach two years ago yet he's still the OC in KC. He's damn good at his job and deserves to get a shot at being a HC. Yet, for some reason, no one will give him the shot. So this story doesn't surprise me at all, it's SOP for the NFL. It's an old rich white guys club, never forget that. Kraft got caught getting a happy ending and guess what, he skated. They can pretty much do whatever they want with little to no repercussions. Even though they constantly screw things up.

Just think back to Ray Rice. The video of him dragging his girl out of the elevator wasn't enough to get him banned. It wasn't until we actually saw him strike her that they finally did something. It took TMZ to get that video, NOT the NFL. I'm 100% sure the NFL knew about it they just didn't want it out to the public so they didn't go get it.

I'd bet Roger Goodell is still pissed that he had to admit they got the Colin Kaepernick situation wrong. Four years of crap then one day, Oops, we got it wrong. Sorry. Our bad, lol. Agree or disagree with CK, it was a PR nightmare for the league. All it took was for one guy to sit down for a couple of minutes for the whole nation to go bonkers.

Well, there's a few cents of opinions.

top topics

join