It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiffany is selling men’s engagement rings for the first time

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Dear ATS Readers, Writers,

I got to admit this story kind of made me admire Tiffany's.

Not for the stated reason, but for along the lines of "marketing ingenuity".

Tiffany is selling men’s engagement rings for the first time

In 1886, Tiffany introduced its first solitaire diamond engagement ring for women. For decades since, couples have visited the jeweler’s stores around the world in search of engagement rings for women, as well as wedding rings. But Tiffany is looking to change that, as it embraces a new wave of couples more than a century later.

I also predict they will become "something to get" for heterosexual relationships. The bride to be AND the groom to be, both get an engagement ring...from their future partner. It may even become "expected"; or else you are a "cheap skate", or don't REALLY love your fiancé'. I hope I am wrong on this thought, but time will tell.

It reminds me of the ever expanding "feel good" industry.

Example: Used to be that a party was given for just high school graduation. Then it became "expected" for junior high graduation, and then it also included graduating grammar school.

It got to the point that you were considered a bad, or non caring parent if you somehow denied your child these celebrations.

When I was a young lad, the only thing "deserving" of a big party was college graduation. Weird eh?

Anyhow, I find this an interesting twist, and a whole new marketing scheme is now being birthed upon our society.

It sorta borders on marketing genius like brainstorm.

Pravdaseeker

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 06:40 AM
link   
What comes next?
Men tampons?

a reply to: pravdaseeker

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Engagement and wedding rings...the smallest handcuffs in the world (joke).

Brilliant move from them, long overdue if you ask the PC crowd.

But there's one thing that irks me. If someone gives out an engagement ring, hopefully not too often in life, it's the signal that they picked the one for marriage.

It's kind of pointless to buy a engagement ring as an answer to the engagement ring. That's what wedding rings are for, where both get to wear one. It's also traditional interwoven because it's expected that the man makes the first move (general consense, not mine).

Engagement isn't married yet. It's just my personal opinion but if this is the "new norm", when do we start to buy "pre-engagement" rings, it's a slipery slope takeing away from the symbol of marriage itself. It's supposed to be something special between two loving persons, not because of material things.

I hope it wasn't lost that my point is that in the light of how the engagement process works, that it's often overseen that marriage is the diamond standard, not engagement, which is obvious because a marketing campaign is trying to change this for simply making more money.

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 07:03 AM
link   

I also predict they will become "something to get" for heterosexual relationships. The bride to be AND the groom to be, both get an engagement ring

Maybe it's just an American thing, but it is fairly normal else where in the west for both to get an engagement ring - actually to the point where I thought it was the norm when I went engagement ring shopping before proposing.

The jeweler from whom I bought my now wife's engagement ring was of the opinion that men should not wear anything else but wedding rings, but told me that perhaps somewhere between a fourth and a third of men now buys engagement rings for themselves too.

I am surprised Tiffany's only now start selling that.

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I don' need no ring, jus' gimme some bling!

Cheers

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer
What comes next?
Men tampons?

Uh.....
I actually know of a company that has feminine napkin disposal boxes in the men’s bathrooms.

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22
Yeah I heard that joke, mostly on ships where you're not supposed to flush down toilet paper or similar, especially wet toilet paper with stronger fibres in it.

Sometimes there's a hidden reason, and if it's only the plumber guy who is fed up with problems like this

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Sounds like the hotels on Crete.

Cheers

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Diving / research vessel in this case

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Of course you do.

originally posted by: Bluntone22

What comes next?
Men tampons?

Uh.....
I actually know of a company that has feminine napkin disposal boxes in the men’s bathrooms.

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 08:05 AM
link   

What comes next?
Men tampons?

for your mangina

duh...

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Wedding rings are the biggest waste of money imho. I've been married 20 years. Fortunately, me and my wife don't usually follow the crowd, so she didn't want or care for a big traditional ring. Her mother had an old diamond she gave me and I bought a platinum tension setting. I also got her a diamond Bulgari B-zero for the wedding band. Nice rings buy very understated. We did look at Tiffany stuff but it is highly over priced for what you get.

What is crazy now though is we rarely wear the rings. We both wear those cheap rubber rings. I get more compliments on my $30 rubber band than my Bulgari B-Zero I got to match my wifes.

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 08:44 AM
link   
The way things are going with fewer men seeking marriage, it will be woman taking an arrow to the knee.

Whats the word.."I'm worth it".
edit on 1-5-2021 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Don't buy mass produced garbage from a big store. Find a local craftsman and commission something unique and special for that special someone. Unless you really don't care then get something cheap and ordinary.

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I see no problem with this.

I've become very tolerate with how open people are with their relationship. I know this because I love my wife and have really good friends that I care about.
It isn't hard to mentally piece together that same level of love for someone of the same gender, beyond the physical, we're all emtionally the same.

To each their own, all I care about is if you're reasonable and logical in the larger pretext of life like Politics and every other field.

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 09:07 AM
link   
If you're buying your guy an engagement ring...you're marrying a chick..

2nd line..Same as first.

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

I am surprised Tiffany's only now start selling that.

Right? Meanwhile, the cool guys "Went to Jared's!"

edit on 1-5-2021 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Hello,

Exactly, making more money....

Just like the "party industry" made a killing on suddenly people having several more things to celebrate like grammar school, junior high, and Hugh school party celebrations.

Pravdaseeker

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Hello Edumakated,

Well good on ya then.

Whatever floats your boats...

Pravdaseeker

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Don't buy mass produced garbage from a big store. Find a local craftsman and commission something unique and special for that special someone. Unless you really don't care then get something cheap and ordinary.

Or just don't.

My engagement ring sits in a draw, long forgotten.
Hers, is god knows where.

We don't talk any more.

Wastiest waste of time ever. Marriage... ha. might as well tie your neck to a sapling and wait for it to grow into a tree.

<<   2 >>

join