It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to learn more Spanish

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I'm thinking of getting some language software to learn more Spanish. Rosetta Stone or Babel Fish or something. Any recommendations? Anyone tried a good program?

I work with a lot of people in construction or contractors that are native Spanish speakers, so it wouldn't hurt to learn more. I'd like to know enough to meet them halfway or be able to know when they're S@#%-talking me. And to be honest the times are really changing in my state; most signs and billboards are bilingual now. I live it everday and most people I deal with are Spanish speaking to some degree.

I studied it in junior high, and was raised by Spanish speaking grandparents so I picked up a little bit. Don't ask me why my grandparents never taught their kids or grandkids, they just didn't. But I feel I know enough to self-teach and practice it. And not to mention that I routinely work 50-60 hours a week so CC courses are not an option right now.

Honestly I'm more interested in learning some dumb language like French or Klingon, but Spanish is the pragmatic choice right now.

Any input before I break out the wallet would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

--NB

edit on 23-3-2021 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Watch Spanish language movies with Spanish closed caption. You'll learn to read Spanish while they speak. It works, believe me.

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 08:49 PM
link   

I'd be happy to teach you. I'm fully fluent.

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I thought Rosetta Stone was terrible.
A huge problem with learning spanish, is education.
Or lack there of with Spanish speakers. A huge amount of day to day communication is slang. Not what we learned in school.
You need the bookwork plus in person training with a fluent speaker, senor.

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Or lack there of with Spanish speakers. A huge amount of day to day communication is slang. Not what we learned in school.

I think you got a good point. Spanish in USA is very bad.

Caribbean people have a very bad pronunciation. Mexicans use words made up in their country and nobody else uses those words. Spanish from Spain is not recommended neither, they speak like people from the 1800.

Argentineans have their own version of the language and they speak with Italian accent, which is funny.

I believe the best Spanish today is from Colombia. They take their time to give the right pronunciation and their accent is not too strong.
edit on 23-3-2021 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Caribbean people have a very bad pronunciation. Mexicans use words made up in their country and nobody else uses those words. Spanish from Spain is not recommended neither, they speak like people from the 1800.

Argentineans have their own version of the language and they speak with Italian accent, which is funny.

I believe the best Spanish today is from Colombia. They take their time to give the right pronunciation and their accent is not too strong.

You aren't alone our business has loads of Spanish-speaking customers I tried Duolingo it's free BTW. Or get that translator app at the very least you will know if they call you a pendejo or hijo de puta.

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 09:48 PM
link   
This is funny because I just finished the 3 seasons of Netflixs "Narcos"

First 2 seasons or so are about Pablo Escobar the rest was "The Cali Cartel". Pretty good show I thought.

Point being a lot of it is in spanish. The only English being spoken is by Americans like the DEA agents, politicians, some bilingual characters etc.

Was thinking it's a cool way to learn Spanish as you are involved in the story and you hear a lot of things repeatedly. Personally I would have to re watch it many times as it seems they are speaking so fast. And I'm not sure why/when they change around their sentence structure. But to just hear repeated conversations between characters I began to recognize some words/phrases and it was a whole lot more interesting than a text book on verbs and adjectives.

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: SuicideKing33
This is funny because I just finished the 3 seasons of Netflixs "Narcos"

First 2 seasons or so are about Pablo Escobar the rest was "The Cali Cartel". Pretty good show I thought.

Point being a lot of it is in spanish. The only English being spoken is by Americans like the DEA agents, politicians, some bilingual characters etc.

Was thinking it's a cool way to learn Spanish as you are involved in the story and you hear a lot of things repeatedly. Personally I would have to re watch it many times as it seems they are speaking so fast. And I'm not sure why/when they change around their sentence structure. But to just hear repeated conversations between characters I began to recognize some words/phrases and it was a whole lot more interesting than a text book on verbs and adjectives.

It might be the best way or at least a good supplement cause you get real inflection and real language. Not how to say I would like a glass of lemonade.

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: Trueman

You aren't alone our business has loads of Spanish-speaking customers I tried Duolingo it's free BTW. Or get that translator app at the very least you will know if they call you a pendejo or hijo de puta.

Pendejo (person) = Stupid (Mexico).
Pendejo (person) = Smart (Peru).
Pendejo (in general) = Pubic hair.

That's what I mean.

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Immerse immerse immerse! I am a native English speaker but am fluent in Spanish. I often tell people that you cannot learn to drive a car or ride a bike from a book or an app. If you don't get behind the wheel or sit in the saddle and actually do it, all you have is useless theory.

Study is your first step, your first layer. As someone said, listen to Spanish television; movies, news, audio books, even music. Soak your brain in it.

Then ... Go out and find some native Spanish speakers and CONVERSE WITH THEM I know, novel idea. This is where you will actually learn.

DO NOT be shy about using what you know.

Will you make mistakes? YES!

Will people laugh? YES!

They will laugh because some of the mistakes you make will be genuinely funny. LAUGH WITH THEM! Don't be an overly sensitive baby.

This is the only way that you will actually learn anything.

posted on Mar, 24 2021 @ 12:05 AM
link   
beware of mexicans trying to sell you chickens.

posted on Mar, 24 2021 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Buy a workbook. Write it all out. Listen to free podcasts in Español.

Edx has free courses.

Befriend someone who you can text in Español.

Work it everyday.

Entonces un día te unirás a las filas del bilingüe! ¡Debes quererlo! Puedes hacerlo. Tengo fe!

posted on Mar, 24 2021 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I used DuoLingo (a phone app) and Netflix to learn Norweigan over the course of about a year.

One year in and I was able to have a pretty good conversation with an actual Norweigan person, even after a few drinks.

Even if you don't use DuoLingo exclusively, it's almost like a game, and if that's a sryle of learning that works for you, it's great.

posted on Mar, 24 2021 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
I used DuoLingo (a phone app) and Netflix to learn Norwegian over the course of about a year.

You planning on visiting Santa and his reindeer or something?

posted on Mar, 24 2021 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I just want to eat a reindeer, but yes, I'm also a big Santa stan.

posted on Mar, 24 2021 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I just want to eat a reindeer, but yes, I'm also a big Santa stan.

Renne e delizioso.

edit on 24-3-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: dey terk er election

posted on Mar, 24 2021 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Is there an Italian reindeer recipe?

posted on Mar, 24 2021 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Is there an Italian reindeer recipe?

Not that I'm aware of but I'd braise the shank like I would with osso bucco.

posted on Mar, 24 2021 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Currently braising some bosso beefo.

posted on Mar, 24 2021 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Currently braising some bosso beefo.

Currently braising some Dirty Beef Cowboy steak.

<<   2 >>

join