It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marvin Hagler: 'Marvelous' dies aged 66

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Woke up this morning to the sad news that boxing great Marvin Hagler has unexpectedly died at the age of 66.

'Great' is a term often bandied about in sport yet 'Marvelous' truly was an all time great.
Growing up he was one of my first sporting heroes from the first time I watched him fight against Alan Minter.
I followed his career with great interest including 'The War' against Tommy Hearns and to this day firmly believe he beat Sugar Ray Leonard in their fight in '87.

Obviously most of his fights were in the US and back in those days they weren't televised live over here so I would get up in the middle of the night and listen to his fights live on the radio.

He was a truly brutal fighter but I learnt that he was man of enormous integrity and was always incredibly gracious.

As far as I'm aware he wasn't seriously ill or anything so this comes as a great surprise.

Good night Marvelous, you'll be sorely missed.

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Watch him give "Hitman" Hearns a thorough tune-up.

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Homefree

A golden era of boxing and Hearns was up there with the very best of them.
Just shows how good Hagler was.

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Marvin Hagler , great athlete and fearsome warrior.

RiP Marvelous , his place in sporting history was hard won but well earned and richly deserved.

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I can still remember the Hearns/Hagler fight.....good god what a fight. I was a big Hagler fan cuz he was a lefty....in the non-political sense.

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 05:36 AM
link   
"I wonder what old what's his name is having for dinner tonight. ..
...probably soup"
Pizza Hut commercial with the one and only.
edit on 3/14/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Joe Rogan & Mike Tyson on Marvin Hagler.

edit on 14-3-2021 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Without doubt one of the GOATs. Respect to Marvelous Marvin Hagler RIP champ.

His fight with Hearns will never not be one of the most thrilling boxing matches in existence.

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
Woke up this morning to the sad news that boxing great Marvin Hagler has unexpectedly died at the age of 66.
As far as I'm aware he wasn't seriously ill or anything so this comes as a great surprise.

Very sad, he was one of the greats...

I wonder if he recently got the jab?

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

originally posted by: Freeborn

Very sad, he was one of the greats...

I wonder if he recently got the jab?

I've heard a number of people speculate that this is the case as no cause of death has been released yet. It's possible but we'll have to wait and see..

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Homefree

Just ....wow.

I did not appreciate that when it happened....boxing today is #e.

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 12:11 PM
link   

So sad to hear. I remember his fight with Hearns; I was very young but I do remember it.

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Bloody hell, I couldn't believe it when I saw the headlines. Much too young!

My dad and I watched many of his fights and, along with Cassius Clay/Muhammad Ali, we both agreed he was an elegant fighter. One thing we noticed was his fixed stare on his opponent; his gaze never wandered, aways vigil for the opportunity to strike.

I think Hagler was an ambassador for the sport and the epitome of boxing being called "The Beautiful Sport".

R.I.P.

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 12:24 PM
link   
He was sweet to his mother. An admiral quality.

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I read online that he after taking the covid vaccine!

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: CrazeeWorld777
I read online that he after taking the covid vaccine!

Seems it may legs, Id doubt Hearns is just speculating, sounds like he had insider knowledge. If that is true that's 2 legends lost soon after getting the vaccine. Coincidence? maybe or maybe not

heavy.com...

Marvin Hagler’s former boxing rival Tommy Hearns made, and then blasted, COVID-19 vaccine claims relating to Hagler’s cause of death, which has not been officially revealed.

An initial Instagram post by Hearns himself started the Hagler vaccine controversy in the first place. On March 13, 2021, the day that Hagler’s wife announced his unexpected death in a Facebook post, Hearns wrote on Instagram, “A real true warrior Pray for the king and his family.. he’s in ICU fighting the after-effects of the vaccine! He’ll be just fine but we could use the positive energy and Prayer for his Full Recovery.”

edit on 14-3-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I always thought that he bested Sugar Ray; Robinson was more dramatic and danced around and had lots of fancy footwork, but he didn't really HIT or box, at least in that fight. I respected Sugar Ray, but I thought he soundly lost to Marvin Hagler. Mr. Marvin was a strategic boxer, but not a dandy; he fought hard and utilized great footwork to align himself aside his opponents.

He was named Fighter of the Decade. He was perhaps the greatest middleweight of all time.

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Fellow boxer, Thomas Hearns claims Marvin Hagler was in ICU battling side effects from the vaccine...

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Homefree

Those guys are beating the hell out of each other!

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: argentus

I always thought that he bested Sugar Ray; Robinson was more dramatic and danced around and had lots of fancy footwork, but he didn't really HIT or box, at least in that fight. I respected Sugar Ray, but I thought he soundly lost to Marvin Hagler. Mr. Marvin was a strategic boxer, but not a dandy; he fought hard and utilized great footwork to align himself aside his opponents.

He was named Fighter of the Decade. He was perhaps the greatest middleweight of all time.

Robinson???

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join