It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let us do a little math on 15.00 minimum wage

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: panoz77

Raising minimum wage is a moot point. Everybody makes more, and products cost more. Products cost more, so services cost more. Ergo, minimum wage may as well stay the same.

The numbers might be different, but the balance stays more or less the same.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Sounds like a no brainer too me, going by your calculations... raise the minimum wage too $15 an hour, then that $8 an hour worker would basically be making the same money, without relying on government assistance.

I’m actually kinda surprised conservatives aren’t the ones pushing for the $15 minimum wage... with all the bitching they do about their tax dollars going towards supplementing the incomes of poor people.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Because they know it leads to jobs being automated away and a pay cut on anyone making over $15. Just go back and read all the $15/hr threads. We repeat it over and over.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 03:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

When the prices of basic necessities rise to adjust to the pay raise the people living on social security will get shafted.

But market forces will keep many of those prices down. Companies like Walmart won't significantly raise their prices because their customers will simply take their money to their nearest competitor that keeps their prices low.

Rising incomes only really add to inflation when they're for the middle classes. With the basic goods and essentials that the poor buy there's always a race to the bottom as far as prices are concerned.

It's why the PS5 costs more than the PS4, but a bucket of mayonnaise is cheaper than it was a couple of years ago.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 03:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Sounds like a no brainer too me, going by your calculations... raise the minimum wage too $15 an hour, then that $8 an hour worker would basically be making the same money, without relying on government assistance.

I’m actually kinda surprised conservatives aren’t the ones pushing for the $15 minimum wage... with all the bitching they do about their tax dollars going towards supplementing the incomes of poor people.

working people would have to take a day(maybe more) off to sit in a welfare office all day for those snap benefits. Nobody with a job would waste precious time with those losers

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: panoz77
a reply to: Ahabstar

So you think they are going to keep the poverty level adjusted to $15/hr minimum wage? That would be some irony. Here is your $15/hr "living wage", oh and BTW, you are still at "poverty level". Interesting, I wonder if they make adjustments to those calculations if they ever double the minimum wage.

There are two measures for poverty. Relative poverty where a person's income is measured against the national average income, and absolute poverty which is where the things that you have (Such as access to food and heating) are measured.

You can be below the relative poverty line in a small town and still live a pretty good life if the cost of living is low, but you can make twice as much money in a big city and be above the relative poverty yet below the absolute poverty line because by the time that you've paid your rent you can't afford to eat.

The aim of the government "should" be to reduce the level of absolute poverty. Which means ensuring that as many people as possible have an adequate standard of living.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 04:00 AM
link   
It's taken me 8 years of hard work to go from minimum wage to my current pay of.... yup you guessed it, exactly $15.00 per hour.

A $15.00 minimum wage would basically negate the benefits I've earned from my 8 years of hard work and dedication. I would financially be catapulted 8 years backwards, (do not pass GO. do not collect $200) into the past. Where I'd find myself in the exact same situation as I was the day I got hired... working for minimum wage.

Now ain't that just a b***h.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

Because they know it leads to jobs being automated away and a pay cut on anyone making over $15. Just go back and read all the $15/hr threads. We repeat it over and over.

Do you have any idea how much it costs and how difficult it is to automate most job?

I’ve seen the epic failures in attempting it first hand at the factory I work at... it’s not as simple as you might think.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Because it doesn’t change. You just have a new bottom.

Plan it out at $100/hr or $1000/hr. Those would be the new bottoms as well. And if you are on the bottom, you will need assistance.

So what if these was no minimum and no maximum, there was just “wage” at say $50/hr. The brain surgeon and burger flipper makes exactly the same regardless of hours worked. Then where is the incentive for the hard or dangerous jobs? How do you reward skill or talent or just exceptionalism?

In the end, you wind up with this...

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Minimum wage here in Australia is $19.84 per hour currently. It generally edges up a little every year based on various factors. $15 per hour in the US will help people a lot I would think.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Agreed.

So my thinking is, this exercise (pumping up min wage despite knowing the ramifications it'll have regarding attrition on low-paying jobs) is all about setting the table for UBI.

I think the jobs elimination part is coming no matter what; this is merely an intermediate step.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies
Companies like Walmart won't significantly raise their prices because their customers will simply take their money to their nearest competitor that keeps their prices low.

Most Walmart employees will be making $14-$16 in a couple of weeks, and everyone in the store will be making that much by the end of the year. You're correct, they will keep prices low. That's always been their business model.

originally posted by: harold223
Minimum wage here in Australia is $19.84 per hour currently. It generally edges up a little every year based on various factors. $15 per hour in the US will help people a lot I would think.

American conservatives never seem to understand that the rest of the world have already figured these things out. We're a 3rd world country with smartphones.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

Doorman and Elevator Operator used to be steady minimum wage jobs until minimum wage was raised beyond the point of paying them. They started thinning the herd @ 40 cents/hr and they were pretty much gone by the time it hit $1/hr. Because it wasn’t worth paying someone $40/week to push buttons or hold a door. The exception being fancy hotels and secure buildings that kept doormen as security/bouncers or just affluent imagery.

$15/hr puts us on the path to Johnny Cabs like in Total Recall and other sci-fi.
edit on 7-3-2021 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 08:24 AM
link   

What do you do with people already making @ 15.00/hr?

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Ask the guy a few posts above in this very thread who just said he has been working 8 years to get from minimum wage to $15/hr. Ask him how he manages his money and also be sure to ask him how he feels about a guy walking in off the street making the same wage it took him 8 years to make. I wonder if they company will give him a raise to $22/hr or just lay him off.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: filthyphilanthropist

Raising minimum wage is a moot point. Everybody makes more, and products cost more. Products cost more, so services cost more. Ergo, minimum wage may as well stay the same.

The numbers might be different, but the balance stays more or less the same.

It's so simple it boggles that it's so often missed. Not that inflation isn't upon us anyways but the ill-advised $15/hr will turbo-boost it.

I'm guessing housing rental costs would be the most obvious early on. Especially since we're already acclimated to rising food costs.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

Actually mayonnaise is cheap because any company can make it.
Hellman’s is $4, generic is $2.

A ps4 is proprietary and just like phones and clothes people will pay more for the prestige instead of the function.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Isn't it odd that all these poor people can afford $1000 cellphones and $800 PS5's? I probably could splurge on such things if I didn't pay for food, rent, utilities and healthcare and received a govt paycheck for not working. But alas, I'll stick with my $200 motorola cell phone and my Xbox one.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Ask the guy a few posts above in this very thread who just said he has been working 8 years to get from minimum wage to $15/hr.

Another Walmart story. Last October they raised all bakery, deli, and automotive associates to $15/hr. Two of the bakery associates have been there ~20 years, and were making pennies under $15 at the time, and a few other associates who had been there for less than a year went from $11.50 to $15. It REALLY pissed the people off who had been working almost 20 years to get to that rate. But. They're still there.
edit on 7-3-2021 by LordAhriman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

You might want to rethink your post. SNAP benefits in federal fiscal year 2021 is $1,810 a month. Thus, 130 percent of the poverty line for a three-person family is $2,353 a month, or about $28,200 a year. Your family on 15.00 an hour wage 25,392.20 would qualify for SNAP. So wouldnt it be better for them to make 15.00 instead of 8.00 and have more money to spend?

Its rare when you see someone disprove their own point.

Gross or net income? $15/hr is $31,200 gross. $2,600 gross monthly or around $2,100 net monthly. Show me.
www.cbpp.org...
"Gross monthly income — that is, household income before any of the program’s deductions are applied — generally must be at or below 130 percent of the poverty line. For a family of three, the poverty line used to calculate SNAP benefits in federal fiscal year 2021 is $1,810 a month. Thus, 130 percent of the poverty line for a three-person family is $2,353 a month, or about $28,200 a year."

Correct me if I'm wrong but $2,353 is less than $2,600 GROSS INCOME.

Your wrong Snap does indeed use adjusted income to qualify. The gross limit is 200 percent above poverty line. In other words up to $3,660 a month for family of three.So again your family is better off making 15.00 an hour. Perhaps before you make up these things you should do a little research no??????

www.masslegalservices.org...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join