It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Share the food from your part of the world

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I was inspired by this thread on ATS, and decided to start a new thread and not hijack that one. I would like to hear from the ATS community what's your favourite dish from where you come from?

I'm from a Lebanese family and for me the best thing to eat is Kibbeh Nayeh (raw kibbeh)

I recently got a recipe from my parents friends:
---------------
Leg of Lamb – no sinew, no fat and no bones – must be finely minced

1 & a half teacups bhurgal - Soak the bhurgal in hot water for half and hour, straiin the bhurgal from the hot water now add cold water with ice cubes to cover the bhurgal. This softens the bhurgal.

1 Large Green Pepper
2 Large White Onions
2 Handfuls of washed Mint Leaves only – do not add the mint stalks
6-8 Chillis - Optional

Put Green Pepper, Onions, Mint & Chillis in the Mouly Machine. Blend to Pulp and then pour into a sieve to let it drain off the juice.

Put a large bowl of cold water with ice cubes next to you, to dip your hands in so that the meat does not stick to your hands when you mix it together.

Put minced lamb into a large mixing bowl.

Add 2 tablespoons of Cummin
1 tablespoon fine black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
Green pulp mixture from sieve

Now mix well all together with your hands. Taste to see if you need more salt or pepper.

Now take the bhurgal from the cold water dish, squeeze water out with your hands and add to the meat…one handful at a time, until you are happy…you might not use all the bhurgal

Mix bhurgal into meat mixture…wet your hands with the cold water and lay out on a pretty plate.

Cling-wrap it and put in fridge for about a half an hour.

SERVE WITH:

Raw Onion chopped finely and oil and leb bread!!!

EAT AND ENJOY!!!

----------------------------

(I tried to re-format the text for ATS, because my "aunt" sent it in an e-mail with weird formatting, God Bless Her)

So many people think Lebanon is a war ravaged country and has nothing to offer, but Lebanon has an immense history and the people are so friendly! I'm sure other countries are similar, so please share with us on ATS what your heritage / country is about, specifically about good food!

I recently found Mark Wiens YT channel and his videos on Lebanese food, enjoy:

edit on 4-2-2021 by TortoiseKweek because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TortoiseKweek

That all looks great. I helped open the nyc restaurant Nur (temp closed now) which is a middle eastern restaurant. As a whitey, I learned a ton about middle eastern spices and breads.

That food looks fantastic

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

That's so cool, I'm sure you learned a lot, lol! Lebanese food is amazing! I miss it so much, but I'm learning to make it now. My gran made the most amazing taboulah!

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Ras el hanout and baharat are two spice mixes I have incorporated into my cooking and use more freely now. 🤙

Middle eastern food is absolutely outstanding
edit on 4-2-2021 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Have you ever tried the All Spice mix? OMG! It's so versatile. I love it!

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Lebanon, perhaps one of the top 3 places I haven't been, but intend too! I lived in Greece for over a year and got to go to a couple fantastic Lebanese restaurants...it is my favorite, or at least tied for favorite cuisine.

Your history...my God, it makes Ancient Rome look like a child in comparison. You have a lot to be proud of culrurally.

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 01:29 AM
link   

I'm not sure we have a regional dish here,

But I do know that ranch dressing is our thing. We put ranch dressing on everything, french fries, pizza, etc.

If you go out to a diner, you get a side of ranch dressing and you don't even have to ask for it.

edit on 5-2-2021 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 01:51 AM
link   
www.food.com...
www.sugarsaltmagic.com...

Scouse, originally a Norwegian dish and it still is but so many Norwegians came through and settled in Liverpool that it somehow became associated with that city.
There are as many recipe's as there are people, every family it seems has there own but in Liverpool usually some red pickled cabbage on top.
This is just one recipe, basically a hearty stew.
www.bbc.co.uk...
delishably.com...
(this looks like a proper scouse similar to what my mum would make, very tasty even if it look's less than appetizing, it is actually really good especially with thick crusted buttered bread or crusty cobs).
allrecipes.co.uk...

www.nationaltrust.org.uk...
allrecipes.co.uk...

And a variant - not true hot pot unless it has a shortcrust top like a pie lid over it.
allrecipes.co.uk...
www.bbc.co.uk...
Once again as many recipes as there are family's.

Now this IS a hot pot.
www.bartonspickles.co.uk...
wizzley.com...
www.visitlancashire.com...

There are so many recipes just from my region alone, Lancashire has unique recipes from all parts, Liverpool as a city in it's own region of Merseyside has also huge numbers and Manchester also in it's own region of Greater Manchester has huge amount's of recipes and unique dishes.

But if you want hearty and really tasty well my hat is off to old Yorkshire, some of the finest northern (England) cuisine to be found there.

And don't knock the scot's, reading about ingredient's put's people off and if you have a bad one it will ruin it for you but if you get a good Haggis you will never look back.

Also if sea food is your thing the UK has some of the finest recipes in the world, though they are often limited to just one port or area around the coast, and some of the nastiest (But they cant be that bad if people love them) such as Jellied eel's.

Something you have to have a laugh at but that is definitely nicer than it sound's and very filling.

www.bbc.co.uk...
www.northernsoul.me.uk...
u3aleylandblog.files.wordpress.com...

Mushy peas are usually just marrowfat peas boiled until they are a mush but there are some over complicated recipes that are un necessary, still to add to that.
allrecipes.co.uk...

We have them sometimes alongside a pot of curry or gravy with fish and chip's and in Wigan just up the road from me they are an essential part of there Wigan kebab (Wigan has some animosity toward Liverpool and I really don't know why while many Scousers refer to them as sheep Shaggers - and others as Pie Eaters since they ATE humble pie and went back to work when Thatcher broke there strike - but I think the reason is long forgotten since most Wigan family's can trace there roots back to both Manchester and Liverpool with a healthy dose of Welsh thrown in too - probably due to Liverpool dock workers going on strike in the early 1900's and the dock company bringing in men from Manchester and Wigan to break the back of the strike creating a generational or traditional mockery by both sides against the other whom seem to have forgotten there shared roots sad but life I guess - also Wigan is notorious for being an unhealthy place and environment to live in at one time having an extremely high mortality rate for woman and shorter life expectancy, I don't think the diet has that much to do with that but?).

edit on 5-2-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Yay, homeoffice!

We will have Pizzasoup today! With flatbread.

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Butter, Pork Fat
Second Line

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Being Greek we've had a lot of those Lebanese foods in the 1st post.

Pizzasoup though really? Why don't you stuff some penne pasta between 2 slices of dry German Rye to really insult your tastebuds?

Pizzasoup, what a travesty.

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Why don't you stuff some penne pasta between 2 slices of dry German Rye to really insult your tastebuds?

That's actually pretty funny...and I don't care who ya are! Hot mayonnaise and cigarette butts maybe, as a side dish?

This forum has turned into a bunch of food snobs. Tasty and fun recipes are now reviled with absolute contempt and dismissed.

Enjoy your caviar soufflé with truffle sauce!

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Haha....I bet I've tried more international foods than you. Food snob? I dont think so. But if pizza soup does it for you fine. At least its a 1000% improvement on what you yanks call biscuits with gravy

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 04:10 AM
link   

I'll bet you have, you bad boy, you!!

Me, I've never left a two mile radius from my Mom's house.

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Hehe. I thought you said you need a chopper to get to your place

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 04:52 AM
link   
In a global context, this surely counts as exotic;
SPOTTED DICK!
Requires suet (derived from beef fat), not suitable for vegetarians or Hindus.
Requires an hour and a half in a steamer, which needs to be topped up with water. Not suitable for the impatient.
Best accompanied by custard.

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Why don't you stuff some penne pasta between 2 slices of dry German Rye to really insult your tastebuds?

That's actually pretty funny...and I don't care who ya are! Hot mayonnaise and cigarette butts maybe, as a side dish?

This forum has turned into a bunch of food snobs. Tasty and fun recipes are now reviled with absolute contempt and dismissed.

Enjoy your caviar soufflé with truffle sauce!

No worries, I am not insulted. At least, I will have pizza soup, right about *now*

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Looks great, I really like Middle Eastern cuisine. There's a specialty market not far from me which has all the imported ingredients you need to make most dishes at home and they also have a great pickle bar. My favorites are the small pickles with garlic and also the long, thin hot peppers.

Good stuff.

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I love this! We love learning about foods from other areas.

I'm not from Louisiana, USA, but I have extended family there. My dad played college basketball there and spent time off and on working down there when I was very young. When he or my uncle would come back North they would bring my mom and I fresh shrimp and boudin. Later in life, I got my husband and son hooked as well. Every time anyone makes a trip down, I have them bring me back a cooler full of Boudin. You can get it with a bit of cheese in it, a hot variety, and smoked as well. I still prefer the original with some saltine crackers. It is a specialty to the area and the unique Cajun culture. No one up here has even heard of it. LOL

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

I'd eat that!

I was expecting you to say Currywurst

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join