It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DBCowboy Gave Me Crabs...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan
I have a good bit of Pacific northwest crab in my freezer. I am going to give your Cioppino recipe a try.

Let us know how it turns out.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder
Happens to the best of us. Its not really a big deal. Just apply some ointment and shave your.......wait.....sorry...... thats a different thread.

There were plenty of off color jokes teed up with a few of the ingredients.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Gnawledge

Augustus and I were both soldiers in the Great Meme Wars of 2007.

I took a nasty post for Augustus and almost lost my left leg due to infection.

Since then we've shared a kitten meme and have matching tattoo's.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Gnawledge

Augustus and I were both soldiers in the Great Meme Wars of 2007.

I took a nasty post for Augustus and almost lost my left leg due to infection.

Since then we've shared a kitten meme and have matching tattoo's.

This is exactly what I mean. I think I love you both. No Rituals required. Or Tatoos ffs.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I remember that.

Courtesy of the history Channel "The Meme War In Color"

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Gnawledge
That's great gesture DB an I don't know you're two's history just what I have read hear bit.

DB is hands down my second favorite person on this whole site.

Thank God, or whatever the hell it is you two do!

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 08:48 PM
link   

That's great gesture DB an I don't know you're two's history just what I have read hear bit.

I totally failed, and I'm sorry (not really) if I seen it asked...

Who is your first, please don't say you...?
edit on 1242021 by Gnawledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Kevin.

Gosh I hate him.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Kevin.

Gosh I hate him.

I wasn't asking you!

Good Grief.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Kevin.

Gosh I hate him.

No crabs for Kevin.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I enjoyed reading this thread and that does look delicious.

You know if ATS gathered up all the recipes over the years they could create a huge book and even other spin offs.

Crab is delicious and a versatile.

I believe your dish would happy grace an episode of MasterChef as well.

Since I don't have anything to bring to the table on this one here are some British sea food recipes.

Not all crab but we will scratch that itch somewhere along the line.
Also probably nothing you don't already do and better.

Pretty sure this guy is an Aussie or perhaps New Zealander though there is a similar accent down south (I'm a northerner and yes I know Britain is tiny compared to many states but we do diversity to excess -so two variants on the recipe very similar but I like the look of the second more).

For fun this guy definitely has some crabs.

More my end of the country, just around the corner in fact.

www.thisislancashire.co.uk...
www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk...
www.bbcgoodfood.com...

Of course except for home tinkerers there is really no way of telling who made what recipe, were it came from originally and who does it best but either way that meal you have made look's really rather tasty.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Very Funny Post! Photo and recipe looks amazing. $400 for a bowl of soup, lol.. Been wanting to make Cioppino for a long time. Yours looks amazing. I see you didn't add any seafood stock. Did the fresh seafood provide enough?

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Cioppino. Serves 8.

3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
12 tbsp. butter
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled, trimmed, and chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 leek, white part only, trimmed, cleaned, and chopped
1/2 small fennel bulb, trimmed and chopped
2 tbsp. tomato paste
4 bay leaves
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. red pepper
2 (28-oz.) cans crushed Italian tomatoes
16 sea scallops
16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 bag of DB's Dungeness Crab Claws
1 cup flour
2 cups dry white wine
16 littleneck clams, scrubbed
1/2 bunch parsley, chopped

Thanks for the recipe you utterly crazy person

Here is one to try in return, more simple but delicious none the less...

4 Scallops per person salted and peppered both sides just before cooking (shell removed and muscle too)

5 baby tomatoes on the vine (chopped in half - per person)

Basil leaves chopped (around 3 per person)

Coriander leaves diced (approx 5 per person cannot go wrong with this as Basil balances it out flavour wise)

Heat up frying pan with olive oil (generous amounts) until smoking at high heat, turn to medium heat then put scallops in the pan for around 3 minutes - can tell when browned ring forms on outer edges. Flip them over and do each side. Plate them up in a line on a small plate...

Once plated up, put the chopped tomatoes into the same pan that you cooked the Scallops in, alongside the Basil and Coriander for around 1 minute (do not go over 2 mins or it burns)

Spread over the Scallops with a spoon in a line.

Lastly, coat each dish in a line with the olive oil flavoured from the pan you cooked with and...

Enjoy!

edit on 24-1-2021 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Your recipe titles remind me of the Beatles lyric "four of fish and finger pie" lol. Nobody knew that was naughty at the time the song was out.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Texan123

I do my chip's quite differently and half way to French Fries, we tend to call his Chip's steak cut as that is about the right size to serve with a nice old fillet steak as well.

As a side note try doing a corn flower batter and potato scallop's with a nice pickled red cabbage side and use some of red cabbage vinegar and sea salt to season, goes with just about anything but remember the vinegar can be overpowering, part cook the scallop's first and dry them on paper towel before dipping them in the batter and frying.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

I do my chip's quite differently and half way to French Fries, we tend to call his Chip's steak cut as that is about the right size to serve with a nice old fillet steak as well.

As a side note try doing a corn flower batter and potato scallop's with a nice pickled red cabbage side and use some of red cabbage vinegar and sea salt to season, goes with just about anything but remember the vinegar can be overpowering, part cook the scallop's first and dry them on paper towel before dipping them in the batter and frying.

Apparently the trick I was taught was to use cut chips from raw chopped potatoes, deep fry for a few minutes, then put them in the oven (or air frier) for 10 mins, deep fry again, then repeat 3 times...

Then you get so called amazing chips.

Nah seriously, was from a documentary on how to "kill potato totally dead" by Michelin guide in conjunction with Bill Gates does cooking humanity.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Love me some proper fish and chips. I like the two step method of blanching chips in 250 degree oil until soft. Cool down and Crisp in 375 degree oil. French method.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 10:11 PM
link   

...and they were delicious!

That's right, my pal from the Pacific Northwest sent me a bag of tasty Dungeness Crab Claws for the holidays and they were succulent and flavorful.

What do you do when your pal gives you crabs? You give them to other people! I gave my wife crabs. My friend crabs. My other friend got them. His wife got the crabs too. Even their daughters got crabs, one of them even asked for seconds. It was spectacular, I've never given so many people so many crabs at once.

How did I give it to them? In a Cioppino of course. I mixed DB's crabs with some scallops, mussels, shrimp and clams. Grilled up some fresh sourdough bread and then popped a nice Dolcetto d'Alba to wash down the crab infestation that we all had in our bowls.
    Cioppino. Serves 8.

3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    12 tbsp. butter
    2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
    1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
    2 medium carrots, peeled, trimmed, and chopped
    2 ribs celery, chopped
    2 leek, white part only, trimmed, cleaned, and chopped
    1/2 small fennel bulb, trimmed and chopped
    2 tbsp. tomato paste
    4 bay leaves
    1 tsp. oregano
    1 tsp. thyme
    1 tsp. basil
    1 tsp. red pepper
    2 (28-oz.) cans crushed Italian tomatoes
    16 sea scallops
    16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 bag of DB's Dungeness Crab Claws
    1 cup flour
    2 cups dry white wine
    16 littleneck clams, scrubbed
    1/2 bunch parsley, chopped

Heat the 1/2 cup the oil and 8 tbsp. butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, for about 2 minutes. Add carrots, celery, garlic, leeks, red pepper and fennel. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, 4 cups water, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, basil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours.

Heat remaining oil and butter in a heavy skillet over high heat. Dredge scallops and shrimp in flour, shaking off excess, and fry, turning once, until golden, 1-2 minutes. Transfer seafood with a slotted spoon to pot with sauce, and add DB's Dungeness Crab Claws, cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

Add wine to same skillet over high heat, scraping browned bits stuck to bottom of skillet. Add clams, cover, and cook until shells open, about 5 minutes. (Discard any clams that don't open.) Add clams and broth to pot; adjust seasonings. Ladle soup into large bowls, garnish with parsley, and serve with grilled sourdough bread.

Share your crabs with others.

That sounds and looks delicious...unlike the crabs Clarissa from highschool...

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

Sounds awesome..

Although I do have to tell a story that this recipe reminds me of...

Myself and partner went to Turkey a few years back and the weather was brilliant (Remember im from Scotland, always snowy or rainy aside from 1-2 weeks of the year at best!)

We got all tanned and eventually burnt to a crisp, decided to leave the hotel for a romantic meal.

Went about 20 miles away from the Hotel in Antalya, got a bit lost but found this lovely man serenading us and telling us to come in for a delicious steak...

We went inside a completely dead restuarant, but it was really good looking in decor etc, service was amazing too...

We got a free salad, chips and nibbles (italian style dough balls with Garlic etc) we were shocked in a good way, thinking what is wrong with this place. All going good, guy came over with the menu and said the chefs speciality was fillet steak. WIN!

Both order the fillet steak...

5 mins later it arrives but its white on top!?

Bite into it and it turns out hes put crab meat, prawns and what must have been f*kin gumbo on the top of a perfect fillet steak! Each bite this really nice guy says... "is it nice!?"

We both say "AMAZING!" whilst holding back the vomit! Was the most disgusting yet (secondary tasting) amazing steak ive ever tasted in my life! So confusing... was like life on a plate but still awful... like hell but Heavens afterthought... so to speak!

But, this is the thing that relationships are made of I guess cause its one of the things we talk about anytime we ever go to a restaurant and order steak... when it was allowed before house arrest for all etc.

Come to think of it... most confusing meal of my life and as confused as we have both been since then, still going strong many a year later so thank you to confused gumbo man's restuarant and long may you attempt to confuse others!

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Crab legs are good, I like them steamed or whatever they do with them in chinese restaurants. Don't care for the crab sauce though. I also like my shrimp boiled. with butter but butter is not necessary. No shrimp sauce for me either. Heck, I like the imitation crab legs too, most often they are pollack but I like the crab delight in the chinese restaurants, I heat half a plate of the stuff most times. I wish that there would not be so much polution in the ocean or in those ponds they grow these critters in some times. Just think, a couple of hundred years ago the oceans and rivers were pretty good in most places, now they are full of medicines we pee out and pesticides.

Eat the crab now, maybe in another twenty years or so they won't be edible anymore.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join