It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crispy Salmon Skins by Good Fish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Okay, so I've been on a health kick since July have lost over 50 lbs and eating to lower my blood pressure, etc. About the only thing, I'm having a problem eating enough of is fish. Now I loved grilled fish, salmon, cod, etc. it's just nobody else in the household does, thus we try and make dinners into something everybody can eat that's relatively healthy. So I don't get enough fish, then I see Crispy Salmon Skins by Good Fish and on a lark, I bought some.

Well now I'm reading reviews and it's really 60/40 on if they are good or not. I'm pretty sure I can choke them down, with some hot sauce or seasonings though, because the only flavor getting really bad reviews is sea salt only, LOL multiple reviews saying it tastes like dried fish food LOL

So has anybody here tried them? Would prefer not to have to choke them down, but I will.
edit on 10-1-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 02:12 PM
link   
no..i try to stick to the parts of the fish your supposed to eat. lol

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: autopat51
no..i try to stick to the parts of the fish your supposed to eat. lol

Okay that made me laugh, hell man it's not gonna be my favorite snack, LOL.

That said I often when cooking salmon will sear the skin side till it's crispy and eat it. I am trying to totally eliminate my poor eating habits and do need something where I get more fish nutrients. My go-to now is pretty much canned or pouch tuna.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 02:32 PM
link   
salmon is an item i buy rarely..its made of gold!

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: autopat51

Those seem to vary. One time years ago out for sushi with some people, we got this BBQ fish to share, it showed up whole. This chinese guy with us, the second the fish hit the table, dude went like lighting with the chopsticks, grabs the fish's eyeball and pops it in his mouth. Chews on it for a bit, spits out the lens and goes some thing like.

'Oh yeah that's the best part.'

We all just kinda stared at him for a moment, shrugged and dug into the rest of the fish.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Salmon skin roll is one of my favorites when we get sushi. They make it crispy and salty and so, so good especially when rolled in with some nice fresh cucumber.

I'd actually go for these I think. Thanks for the hat tip!

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I always eat the skin of fish, I think it tastes pretty good when it is crispy, in fact the wife gives me that part of her fish when we make it.....yum.

The skin of fish has some unique qualities and I do not know if it is good or bad for people. The fat layer right next to the skin, the brown stuff, can contain more mercury than the fish itself has. But as far as I have read, that mercury is not easily absorbed into our bodies, which rebukes the fallacy that the fish from the great lakes is bad for you because of that mercury.

The skin of fish doesn't contain the same elastin fiber protein that we need that is found in other tougher skins of animals, It is created by bacteria, no mammal can make the elastin fiber protein. But to all animals it is necessary, that protein makes skin tough and elastic, same with an animals gut and heart. So, why doesn't skin of most fish have that rubber like texture? I don't know, bullheads have rubbery skin, so do sturgeons and sharks, but not most of the fish I do eat. I suppose fish do not need that because they have scales to protect them, and brookies do have a more rubbery skin and do not have scales too.

I eat at least a half pound of fish a week, I like fish, but the majority of the fish I eat is skinless.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
The fat layer right next to the skin, the brown stuff, can contain more mercury than the fish itself has.

As long as it doesn't contain Freddie Mercury I'll eat it. Salmon skin kicks ass.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: rickymouse
The fat layer right next to the skin, the brown stuff, can contain more mercury than the fish itself has.

As long as it doesn't contain Freddie Mercury I'll eat it. Salmon skin kicks ass.

Mercury gives people mad hatter disease, it is fun being a little mad.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Well we will see in about a week, got to be better than potato chips, Doritos or cheese curls. Which I've eliminated from my diet completely.

“Salmon is so plentiful in omega-3 fatty acids that even eating a four- or six-ounce portion once a week means you’re doing pretty well.”

Professor of medicine at the University of Pittsburgh and co-author of an omega-3 study on middle-aged adults.

Time Magazine, June 20, 2018.

goodfish.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 08:23 PM
link   
So I bit. I ordered a starter pack. We'll see how much I like them. We eat salmon once a week already and them some other sort of fish one other time, usually swai.

So we're already a fish heavy household, but I'm always looking for a chip alternative because I don't actually like potato chips all that much. I occasionally eat pork rinds, but I mow through them pretty fast. We'll see how these go.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
So I bit. I ordered a starter pack. We'll see how much I like them. We eat salmon once a week already and them some other sort of fish one other time, usually swai.

So we're already a fish heavy household, but I'm always looking for a chip alternative because I don't actually like potato chips all that much. I occasionally eat pork rinds, but I mow through them pretty fast. We'll see how these go.

I'm sure these will be okay, got hot sauce or Tru Lime if they are too bad. Was just hoping a fellow ATSer had tried them before.

Actually think part of this is I have been using the pork rinds a lot. I found a good source on eBay relatively cheap, microwavable and they taste pretty good.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

The problem with pork rinds is that if I eat too many at once, they get gluey like rice or bread and I get a bad case of the hiccups.

posted on Jan, 20 2021 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: putnam6

The problem with pork rinds is that if I eat too many at once, they get gluey like rice or bread and I get a bad case of the hiccups.

Well my Goodfish chips finally arrived. I have been reading and watching occasionally to find reviews, So here is mine first on sea salt only, don't immediately take a whiff out of the bag it definitely is an overwhelming fish smell, and it does decidedly smell a little bit like fish food. However, once that's gone the crispiness is there and the flavor isn't too bad but they are definitely better with some Tru Lemon or LIme to cut the after taste which is certainly there. But as mentioned they are crispy enough they have a decent texture, I know I read some reports that they were leathery and this batch is not.

The other flavors I got were Chili Lime, Spicy BBQ. Tart Cranberry And Sirachi Lemongrass.

Spicy BBQ is better than sea salt there is still that fish flavor and they could have used more but it's not bad. Doubt these first two flavors are gonna be a craving type snack, again not bad but when you finish a bag it's not like I want more. Again about halfway through I added the Tru Lime which meshed well with the BBQ flavor is just a hint and it's not hot at all. The good news is I was hungry and these 2 small bags do knock your hunger down. At 80 calories a bag that's not bad at all sodium is at 5% RDA which isn't bad either.

Overall I'll see how I like the other flavors but they will be fine I'm sure most will be compatible with the Tru Lemon and Lime or a healthy dose of hot sauce Tabasco etc. or even Malt Vinegar. They are a tad expensive but I'm sure I'll get more once these are gone. They will fit well into getting pork rinds,or beef jerky occasionally.

top topics

join