It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pork Posole

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I put my garlic to good use. I made some pork posole. It's the perfect, hearty soup to warm you up! It's easy to make, and the wait is worth it. I'll break down the basics, but there's a half-million recipes in books and blogs and vids so why bother with the minute details? Adjust and cook to taste as you like--

I start with boiling a few cuts of pork shoulder/ pork butt (bone in) with some salt and pepper. Don't forget to skim the pot every so often. Boil for about 90 minutes, and you can prep other stuff as you wait.

The next step is de-seeding and de-stemming some dried chilis. I used about half ancho and half guajillo. These are milder chilis so if you want extra heat, add some New Mexico red chili powder or cayenne to the dish (this step happens later.)

Boil the chilis on a medium boil for about 20-30 minutes. Have some garlic and onion on standby, because when the chilis are done they'll go into your VitaChopSharkNinja blender with the onions and garlic. Break em down and make it smooth.

At about 90 minutes of boiling, I take out the pork and remove the bones and break the pork into manageable chunks. Return to the pot with your chili mixture. Add in some spices, oregano and bay leaf, cayenne etc.

You will also be adding in some hominy. I use canned; give them a good rinse first.

At this point, let the entire mixture go on a low-medium boil for another 90 minutes. This will ensure that the hominy and pork are tender and delicious.

Get your garnishes ready for when the soup is done. I always go with shredded cabbage, sliced radishes, diced white onion, chopped fresh cilantro, and of course some fresh lime juice!

It's super good!

edit on 5-1-2021 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Ah, red posole! I think we've made that variation once before. Not your recipe of course. We usually make a green pozole which uses chicken and a tomatillo and jalapeno slurry made with ground pepitas to flavor it.

The reason we don't do red more often is that it's not always so easy to source the dried peppers around here without driving down to the center of town. These days, it's "plague" central.

edit on 5-1-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I'm salivating while I read that!

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Never heard of posole before but that looks delicious. I had a pretty big dinner, but now i'm hungry again after those pictures. Gonna have to try making that sometime. There's a store around here that sells a bunch of different kinds of dried chills.

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Never heard of posole before but that looks delicious. I had a pretty big dinner, but now i'm hungry again after those pictures. Gonna have to try making that sometime. There's a store around here that sells a bunch of different kinds of dried chills.

Never?! Well it's a very satisfying dish if you like tender pork. Let us know how it turns out and how you like it. The fresh garnishes are just as important as the soup so please don't skip that part.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck and enjoy

edit on 6-1-2021 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 02:45 AM
link   
That's a great recipe for winter weather. I see you know your chilis well and I respect that.

At home we always have yellow and red chili paste in the fridge. Helps to cut the cooking time.

Also fresh jalapeños and dry chili flakes spice my life every day.

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The 'verde' version is alright. It's 2nd violin though.

I mean come on, we're talking about red chili pork posole here. This is the OG.

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Thank you for leaving the fat or should I say the flavor! Too many Mexican places around me here in Northern California clean their broth up too much.
I like adding precooked pork sausage to mine right at serving.
Unfortunately right now I have no taste or smell thanks to CoVid so I can't enjoy anything yummy.

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Maybe, but the green variety has that tomatillo tang to it that I adore. I also like serving it over avocado with a bit of queso fresco crumbled on.

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 07:46 PM
link   
happened to make some over the weekend. Love me pozole
edit on 22-2-2021 by ContractedMercenary because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Oh man, I do love some Posole.

Looks great.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Looks really good!

link   
Looks really good!