It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Lets Talk about Virtual Reality

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Lets be honest here.... it has been the perfect time for VR to get big. The whole damn world is in lock down, and it doesn't look like its going to end anytime soon. I would consider myself the biggest VR enthusiast on this forum considering i have 5 sets... so im open to any questions that anyone might have about the subject.

Aside from just the amazing experiences you can have in a wide variety of games... the fact that everyone is pretty much isolated from the world makes the social aspect of VR very appealing to the masses. I know people that are bored to tears... most especially some of my co workers who have to be isolated, and even quarantined because we did have covid at my home for a good three months... So VR is starting to get quite popular!

Due to this bloody Pandemic theres a lot of sitting around watching TV... so these days people are using VR to stay in shape as well, not just to play games! Theres even subscription based apps that give you a trainer in VR who you can chat with, and motivate you just like they would in real life... At $20 a month, im not sure IF i'd say its as good as a gym, but IF you can't go to a gym anymore it might be worth peoples time...

Supernatural: a Review

After every workout I complete, Supernatural tells me how many points I’ve accomplished, so I know I must be doing something. And the day after two hours in the Supernatural headset, I feel the additive effect of approximately 8,934 squats. There was a study in June of this year that found that VR technology “prevents exercise-related interoceptive cues from entering focal awareness” and “induces a higher perceptual load.” I.e., when we’re in the VR illusion, we don’t notice the real-world pressures happening on our body.

All of my physical realities — I’m sweating cascades in the mask; I’m out of breath; my legs are sore; I get wearier and slower at hitting the balloons as I go — seem to point to the fact that I am doing something inside of this set, but some instinct in my brain wants to deny that what I’m doing is real. And was it not René Descartes who said, It’s not real, but it is, ya know?

Boxing is another big exercise option... anyone who has ever been in the ring knows what kind of work out you will get just shadow boxing, let alone sparring with a partner... Thrill of the Fight, and Creed are two great boxing games that will test your abilities to swing those dukes... And both games are actually a lot of fun... I boxed for a few years when i was younger... and im in nowhere near the same shape as i was, but i can still throw em at 41... recently i did 3 rounds in "Thrill of the Fight"... and almost had a heart attack! (not really, but i was dying LOL)

I've heard quite a few stories about people losing 10-15 lbs just playing this game alone in VR...

Now lets talk "Beat Saber!"

Probably one of the most popular games on the planet right now... You'd understand IF you tried it... you'd think just swinging your hands wouldn't be much of a work out... but believe me, it can be exhausting! And honestly its just so much fun!

This is one of my Favorite songs in the game, but you can mod it and put almost any song you like into the game now... and they just released multiplayer.... haven't tried that yet, but it sounds like a hoot!

And just to end of this thread, i'd like to add, Oculus basically abandoned their other products and tossed everything into their new headset the Quest 2 (piss me off, but whatever)

I made a THREAD on it back in October... Santa brought it for Xmas... dude showed up in a Hazmat suit...LOL

It is a fantastic headset... very reasonably priced ($399 in Canada... $299 in the US) with better resolution then most of the headsets on the market which is mind blowing considering a lot of them cost over a grand... Cheaper then the original Quest, a touch lighter, and a lot uglier but thats beside the point.

IF you're curious about VR, go grab a Quest 2... you won't be disappointed!

Anyways, IF you have any questions about VR, or comments about it... drop a reply and i'd be happy to help you out

Happy new Year everyone!

Lets hope 2021 is better then last year

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Thank you for the post!!!

I am redoing a room downstairs for VR gaming and have been struggling with getting an Oculus vs another VR system with a PC, like HTC Vive.

Have you tried anything that isn't a stand alone system?

Also, how is the battery life on the Quest 2?

Thank you in advance for your time...

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Glad to be of any help

Do you have a powerful pc? Not just a gaming pc... You NEED at least an i5, and a video card with 4g of Vram... and even that isn't a great VR experience... IF you don't have those min requirements don't get a pcvr set

Get a quest 1 or 2... i have both, and both are amazing, no pc required... but you do need a FB account with legit details, fake accounts and wrong info have been getting people banned... or if you have a history of making trouble on Fb LOL

Battery life is about 2 hours on both sets... and you should really take a break every half hour to an hour

edit on 4-1-2021 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I can have whatever high end computer is necessary... currently on an Octacore i7 with a GeForce 1660 6G for gaming.

I need a FB account for an Oculus though?

THANK you for telling me THAT... I never read that anywhere.

That sucks....

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Unfortunately...

Theres been a lot of people right pissed about that...

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Sadly I canot do vr or any 3d the way its done now it gives me migraines

I'm waiting for a holodeck

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian

Is it the head gear or the screens?

IF its the head gear you may just need the right kind...

And IF its the visuals you may be surprised with newer sets

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 08:15 PM
link   

You just saved me a LOT of time and hassle on that alone so thank you.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Waiting for Nvidia to iron out their RTX 3000 Series VR problems .

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Thinking about getting one of those myself...

But ya i've heard of a few issues in vr

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Thinking about getting one of those myself...

But ya i've heard of a few issues in vr

Wait.
I should have.
3000 series with VR LOTS of dropped frames and very poor performance.
There should be a Hot Fix driver out this week and , if I think about it , I will post here the results.

But , with no VR connected , damn powerful card.

edit on 1/4/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 08:30 PM
link   

exactly!

makes no sense at all... those card should be thunder in VR!

Im using a laptop atm, crushes everything... but im going to build a rig this year with a 30 series for the next gen of VR

IF its this good already... next gen should be crazy!

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 08:35 PM
link   

exactly!

makes no sense at all... those card should be thunder in VR!

Im using a laptop atm, crushes everything... but im going to build a rig this year with a 30 series for the next gen of VR

IF its this good already... next gen should be crazy!

It's all in the drivers.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Is it the head gear or the screens?

IF its the head gear you may just need the right kind...

And IF its the visuals you may be surprised with newer sets

Its the way 3d works it well known 3d triggers migrains

Its a rather complex thing thats hard to understand if u dont get them

Theres triggers that cause it mine is flashing lights

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 08:56 PM
link   

awe that sucks...

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 09:04 PM
link   

It wont be long holodecks are comming

theconversation.com...

May still trigger a migrain but the odds are much lower

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 10:33 PM
link   

This is all foreign to me. Sounds interesting, though it is way outside my price range.

I am very curious though, why do you have to have a Facebook account?

I don't have Facebook, Twitter or any of those other social media accounts, having to have a social media account would definitely be a deal breaker for me.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Have an Occulus which I (sometimes) play an MMORPG also just got the Playstation which I like a little less as it only has one sensor that faces forward.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

FB owns Oculus... need i say more?

it sucks... but thats the price you have to pay to have the best mobile set going

*shrug*

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 11:28 PM
link   

I'm doing preliminary research for a project to repurpose shuttered cinemas into interactive VR bars/clubs. The gist of it is to utilize VR sets with cameras to create a themed environments such as steampunk, fantasy old world, scifi etc.. etc..etc..

You walk in, wear a set, now your in the same bar and cans still see everything, but your in a place boosted with avatars for participants and augmented reality so fire and effects can be done with no danger. You see non participants as normal. Rewards system can obviously be added to keep the liquor flowing

During day hours the venue can be rented out for private parties (LARPING?)
Is consumer VR technology ready to hand capabilities as I described today, or are we a handful of years away yet??

top topics

<<   2 >>

join